ASL, PSE, or SEE, which is superior

I didn't speak at all then I wouldn't be speaking to you now. anyways. SEE, second spoken english and then ASL

CrzyMeg - SEE itself is not a language, ASL is. :)

I didn't speak at all then I wouldn't be speaking to you now. anyways. SEE, second spoken english and then ASL

SEE is English. It is manualized English. English has many modes: spoken, written, and manualized.

which system has yielded the most positive results? Where would one go to even find this information?

which system has yielded the most positive results? Where would one go to even find this information?

ASL. Because it is structured to convey information based on visual processing. The other modes of English are structured to convey information based on auditroy processing, and putting them in a visual mode leads to confusion linguistically.

rockdrummer - Would you provide your definition of "positive results", please. TQVM

Isn't that self explanatory? The word positive would mean that results show improvement, or increased performance scores.

Then, English would be your first language!:P

I do consider English my first language, especially since I speak so well. I was first taught SEE when I was a child; it wasn't until I was into my teens that I learned ASL was different. When I speak or write, it is fully gramatically correct, but when I sign, it is definitely ASL and not gramatically correct, but following the syntax of the ASL language. Just like Cheri described: ("Me go store" rather than signing out exactly "I am going to the store.") I speak far more than I sign because of my everyday environment, which is why I still consider English my first language.

I do consider English my first language, especially since I speak so well. I was first taught SEE when I was a child; it wasn't until I was into my teens that I learned ASL was different. When I speak or write, it is fully gramatically correct, but when I sign, it is definitely ASL and not gramatically correct, but following the syntax of the ASL language. Just like Cheri described: ("Me go store" rather than signing out exactly "I am going to the store.") I speak far more than I sign because of my everyday environment, which is why I still consider English my first language.

I would agree with you. English would no doubt be your first language. The only thing I would disagree with was the example of "Me go store." That is actually PSE, not ASL. ASL syntax would be simply, "Store, go."

ASL is superior, the other two are not true languages.

Exactly! Many people seem not to understand that at all especially the educators who work with mainstreamed deaf/hoh children unless they had deaf studies or ed training/backgrounds. It has been so frustrating for me to explain this to them.

ASL is superior, the other two are not true languages.

Yes, SEE is only a manual code to visualize the language of English. ASL itself is a true language instead of a manual code.

I would agree with you. English would no doubt be your first language. The only thing I would disagree with was the example of "Me go store." That is actually PSE, not ASL. ASL syntax would be simply, "Store, go."
I haven't seen at least one deaf person who signed {Store, go} in ASL.

But, I pulled the ASL grammar, it says just the same I had say. {"GO-TO" sign, "ME GO-TO COLLEGE" it is still ASL, it is still a topic (ME) comment (GO-TO COLLEGE) grammar structure.}
http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-layout/grammar2.htm

I haven't seen at least one deaf person who signed {Store, go} in ASL.

But, I pulled the ASL grammar, it says just the same I had say. {"GO-TO" sign, "ME GO-TO COLLEGE" it is still ASL, it is still a topic (ME) comment (GO-TO COLLEGE) grammar structure.}
American Sign Language (ASL)

Then you haven't been around many ASL signers. The me is implied by the signer doing the communicating. The sign {GO-TO} is one sign, not 2 signs sequentially as would be seen in SEE. "ME GO-TO COLLEGE" is still PSE syntax. ASL syntax would be {COLLEGE GO-TO}. The signer could then simply nod their head, or use the {ME} sign.

Back