Asl And Group Chat

Mieke

Belgian ASL noob
Reaction score
I'm wondering how you use ASL in a group conversation, or more when people are signing all at the same time.

Do you still manage to understand eachother then?

And please note this is just my curiousity not trying to provoke anyone.

The same way people who use spoken language do it.

No more than hearing people following a bunch of people having a spoken conversation.

Anij said it. It just looks difficult because many people haven't used their eyes to process information in the same way they use their ears :)

It's about learning the same skill, just the same information flows through a different source.

I don't even think twice about it. One thing that might be different is that you'll have a bunch of people positioning themselves in a way that is optimal for everyone to see. It's like a free geometry lesson, except Deaf kids get the geometry lesson as little tots.

And I loved your question :) It was a great one!

True, all a matter of habits I guess, anyway thanks for replying

Anij said it. It just looks difficult because many people haven't used their eyes to process information in the same way they use their ears :)

It's about learning the same skill, just the same information flows through a different source.

I don't even think twice about it. One thing that might be different is that you'll have a bunch of people positioning themselves in a way that is optimal for everyone to see. It's like a free geometry lesson, except Deaf kids get the geometry lesson as little tots.

And I loved your question :) It was a great one!

Thanks Muse, and I think thats something a lot of hearing people still have a lot of work to do on. When we're in a group conversation, we often tend not to pay enough attention to see if everyone is getting the message...

Thanks Muse, and I think thats something a lot of hearing people still have a lot of work to do on. When we're in a group conversation, we often tend not to pay enough attention to see if everyone is getting the message...

I think I'm guilty of that too sometimes :P ... great chat and then ... oh look.... a BUNNY!!!!

I'm wondering how you use ASL in a group conversation, or more when people are signing all at the same time.

Do you still manage to understand eachother then?

And please note this is just my curiousity not trying to provoke anyone.
What makes you think we don't have good manners and pay attention? Just like hearing people.

What makes you think we don't have good manners and pay attention? Just like hearing people.

Probably because we don't often enough.

And I do think you have good manners and pay attention, am just trying to wrap my head around the idea that with like 10 people signing you know who wil be signing next. It just looks difficult.

trying to wrap my head around the idea that with like 10 people signing you know who wil be signing next. It just looks difficult.

How do hearing people in a group conversation know who's going to speak next?

I think I'm guilty of that too sometimes :P ... great chat and then ... oh look.... a BUNNY!!!!
LOL ! That funny b/c we have a lot of bunnies in our yard.
Hearing people seem to try and talk over one another , I find it hard to talk to more than 3 people at time b/c I can't understand what being said . I am HOH .

LOL ! That funny b/c we have a lot of bunnies in our yard.
Hearing people seem to try and talk over one another , I find it hard to talk to more than 3 people at time b/c I can't understand what being said . I am HOH .

It looks like that indeed. Now admitted I may often be missing the point, but please in this discussion, try not to rattle the cage.

I'll piss off enough people with just my ignorance without you adding oil on the fire.

Is there anyway or a good place to video chat someone? I'm a mother to a ten yr old boy and eight yr old girl and have learning ASL out of books. Some days we only sign but of course have more to learn. I would like someone that can tell me if I conversate correctly and give me pointers to take to my children. Any help would be lovely

Back