Asia quake death toll tops 23,000

T

Toonces

I'm sure you all have heard of the terrible ordeal in south Asia as a result of the magnitude 9.0 quake which caused massive waves that left at least 23,000 people dead (and the toll is still climbing, I believe) and thousands homeless.

Here's the link: Asia quake death toll tops 23,000

:(

Shit (pardon my french). That is lot... My heart goes out to every victim in Asia :(

Magatsu said:
Shit (pardon my french). That is lot... My heart goes out to every victim in Asia :(

You can say Merdi.....(shit in French) and get away with it :)

It is a such tragic event ...can't believe over 23,000 were killed! Unbelievable :(

More are dying as we speak, and it won't be 23,000 for sure. It'll be much, much more than that.

Also, in the 1700s, something like what you saw also had happened in the USA according to a man on CNN Crossfire. It was quite interesting.

see why China and other Asian countries (besides Japan) made a law that you must have at least one or two children in a family? because China is obviously very crowned, and more people die each year so thats why China is trying to decrease the numbers of children in families to decrease the number of deaths in China when an earthquake occurs and stuff like that...kinda pathetic, eh?

Steel said:
see why China and other Asian countries (besides Japan) made a law that you must have at least one or two children in a family? because China is obviously very crowned, and more people die each year so thats why China is trying to decrease the numbers of children in families to decrease the number of deaths in China when an earthquake occurs and stuff like that...kinda pathetic, eh?

Last time, I heard chinese people rather keep male babies than females. That is why, there are alot of female babies to be adoption to USA.

They cherish their last names to carry next generation. I am not sure why ?

In 1960 China had "only" 600 million people. Mao was worried about a Third World War at the time, and there was a program to, ummm, make babies.
The threat of a world war had receded some time ago, so they did an about-face and are now trying to limit the numbers of births. Since 1960, the population of China has more than DOUBLED---there are approx. one billion, four hundred million Chinese, about one fifth of the world population.

http://www.est-direct.com/china/popula.php

Sabrina said:
Last time, I heard chinese people rather keep male babies than females. That is why, there are alot of female babies to be adoption to USA.

They cherish their last names to carry next generation. I am not sure why ?
That's quite true. females in china gets less respect than males do and there are actually more males than females in China, since most families perfer to have a baby boy to carry on the name instead of the baby girl, and most women who gave birth to baby girls commited sucide or gave them away to adopotion and keep trying until they have a baby boy.

still, I find it kind of pathetic. who cares if it's a girl...it's not like it's the end of the world anyway.

P.S. I don't really see a point when a family's last name is always carried by the male's name, as for the wife and kids, they have the same last name from her husband and the father...but why not just take one from the female's just for a change? I dont really know...though I know not all families are like that, but most are anyway.

Last edited:
Just got the word that Jeti Li, the martial arts actor is on the missing persons list. He was on vacation with his wife and children and it happen to be on one of the Maldives islands. Most of the islands were destroyed by the Tsuanami.

So, he and his family has been added to the thousands of people who are now missing, let's have our prayers and hope that more of the thousands are found alive which is unlikely to happen. :(

It is UNBELIEVABLE.

Never thought I would see such mass destruction of this size and taking so many lives in my lifetime.

I really really feel for the parents who lost their children. More than half of the estimated number of victims are children and that just breaks my heart. :tears:

Last edited by a moderator:
Beowulf said:
The quake was a MONSTER.
A few days I posted the link to Seismograms from various points around the world, and at that time, the readouts were almost BLACK! It is not quite so bad now, but the planet is still ringing like a gong.
Wow.

http://aslwww.cr.usgs.gov/Seismic_Data/heli2.shtml

I actuall read (and dammit, I can't remember where) but they said that the quake actually caused the earth to wobble slightly during its rotation. If you think about how big the planet is and how fast it rotates, then you have a new appreciation for the strength of the quake.

The truly sad thing is that the death toll will likely continue to rise considerably as people die of injuries and diseases as a result of the infrastructure collapse.

I don't mean to sound selfish, but things like this make me grateful to live in the US.

With the death toll now somewhere around 66,000, they are very concerned with the spread of cholera due to contaminated water. People are already starving. What an terrible tragedy. And this is the kind of event, like hurricanes, tornados, etc., that is called "an act of God." Hmmmmmmmmm Makes you wonder...

Last edited:
NeilMcD said:
I don't mean to sound selfish, but things like this make me grateful to live in the US.

Actually, both Canada and the USA can suffer the same especially when it's not easy trying to rescue people while they're holding onto poles and trees while the water are flowing with a strong current.

Alaska, Oregon, Washington, California, British Columbia all are on a massive fault, aren't they?

I don't see how it would make a person feel lucky to live in the USA when there is a possibility it'll happen in the USA too. Especially after it made the Earth wobble a bit. That's not a good thing, and it could cause the plates around the world to shift even more. Actually, I think it did happen in Alaska around 50 years ago where around a hundred died.

It's the mother nature that is far more brutal than anything combined.

Tragedy

Someone told me it was God punished them. No way. Mother natural is part of life, we will always have earthquakes, fires, hurricanes, etc... We need to make a prepare for this kind of diaster. Unfortunely for those part of the area, they were not prepare for it. Now we have to spend more $$$$ to help them. I just wish our govt helped them in first place ( probably cheaper if we set the communicaby set the watch around the world and warn other countries of the danger coming to their way.) Many would be saved.

Very sad week for the world.

Banjo said:
Actually, both Canada and the USA can suffer the same especially when it's not easy trying to rescue people while they're holding onto poles and trees while the water are flowing with a strong current.

Alaska, Oregon, Washington, California, British Columbia all are on a massive fault, aren't they?

I don't see how it would make a person feel lucky to live in the USA when there is a possibility it'll happen in the USA too. Especially after it made the Earth wobble a bit. That's not a good thing, and it could cause the plates around the world to shift even more. Actually, I think it did happen in Alaska around 50 years ago where around a hundred died.

It's the mother nature that is far more brutal than anything combined.

True, In Alaska, it had less population and would have kill more people if they have more people live there. I live 3 miles away from world biggest fault line, San Andrea. We choose to live here and knowing it cans kill us. There is no such safe place to live anywhere. Our home is coded to met the quake requirment for the safety. Unlikely other places alike Iran or Turkey, their homes were made out of clays, simple earthquake turn those clay homes into ground faster than our home. Our government increases safety for us and I hope it goes same for the rest of the world.

Back