Aren't we wasting time with HAs...

Your reply indicates hard failures only. YOu do not account for soft failures. However, these are significant in determining overall failure rates, and level of benefit received.

The links provided, technically, is not MY reply. It's what the professionals closely involved with CI are saying, not me.

And what "failures" are you talking about? The success rate for cochlear implants that work very well is 99.6%. - is hardly a failure.

Fuzzy

Originally Posted by RebelGirl

I don't expect you to know her history. just like i don't know yours.

but since you gave me your friend as comparison to you - "she's got CI but I can hear and speak better than her" - it's important to know what happened to be able to determine why CI is not working for your friend as well as your HAs works for you. I am sure it's not the CI fault.

That could very well be because you got your HAs at 9months and you friend might have not, and your hearing loss at 9 months could have been much lesser than your friend's at the same age - there is so many factors that are involved in this.

I agree about parents and motivation, not sure what you mean by "the same grade school"?

Like at the age of 5, you start kindergarten, but you're not ready as the parents or teacher says so they put you back in the next year.

or

when going along with the same age group, if you're in 8th grade your level is at 3rd grade level.

that's what i'm talking about

Oh Okay, thnx.

Fuzzy

NOTE: I'm quoting both fuzzy and rebelgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelGirl

I don't expect you to know her history. just like i don't know yours.

but since you gave me your friend as comparison to you - "she's got CI but I can hear and speak better than her" - it's important to know what happened to be able to determine why CI is not working for your friend as well as your HAs works for you. I am sure it's not the CI fault.

That could very well be because you got your HAs at 9months and you friend might have not, and your hearing loss at 9 months could have been much lesser than your friend's at the same age - there is so many factors that are involved in this.

Quote:
I agree about parents and motivation, not sure what you mean by "the same grade school"?

Like at the age of 5, you start kindergarten, but you're not ready as the parents or teacher says so they put you back in the next year.

or

when going along with the same age group, if you're in 8th grade your level is at 3rd grade level.

that's what i'm talking about

Oh Okay, thnx.

Fuzzy

Well, I got my first hearing aid at 2 1/2 years old and I didn't speak till I was 3 years old.

I'm told that I speak well enough to pass for hearing and that my speech has improved after I got implanted. BTW, my speech was already good before implantation.
______

Last edited:
Other Risks Associated with the Use of Cochlear Implants
People with a cochlear implant:

May hear sounds differently. Sound impressions from an implant differ from normal hearing, according to people who could hear before they became deaf. At first, users describe the sound as "mechanical", "technical", or "synthetic". This perception changes over time, and most users do not notice this artificial sound quality after a few weeks of cochlear implant use.

May lose residual hearing. The implant may destroy any remaining hearing in the implanted ear.

May have unknown and uncertain effects. The cochlear implant stimulates the nerves directly with electrical currents. Although this stimulation appears to be safe, the long term effect of these electrical currents on the nerves is unknown.

May not hear as well as others who have had successful outcomes with their implants.

May not be able to understand language well. There is no test a person can take before surgery that will predict how well he or she will understand language after surgery.

May have to have it removed temporarily or permanently if an infection develops after the implant surgery. However, this is a rare complication.

May have their implant fail. In this situation, a person with an implant would need to have additional surgery to resolve this problem and would be exposed to the risks of surgery again.

May not be able to upgrade their implant when new external components become available. Implanted parts are usually compatible with improved external parts. That way, as advances in technology develop, one can upgrade his or her implant by changing only its external parts. In some cases, though, this won't work and the implant will need changing.

May not be able to have some medical examinations and treatments. These treatments include:
MRI imaging. MRI is becoming a more routine diagnostic method for early detection of medical problems. Even being close to an MRI imaging unit will be dangerous because it may dislodge the implant or demagnetize its internal magnet. FDA has approved some implants, however, for some types of MRI studies done under controlled conditions.
neurostimulation.
electrical surgery.
electroconvulsive therapy.
ionic radiation therapy.

May damage their implant. Contact sports, automobile accidents, slips and falls, or other impacts near the ear can damage the implant. This may mean needing a new implant and more surgery. It is unknown whether a new implant would work as well as the old one.

Will have to use it for the rest of life. During a person's lifetime, the manufacturer of the cochlear implant could go out of business. Whether a person will be able to get replacement parts or other customer service in the future is uncertain.

Benefits of Cochlear Implants

There are several reasons that a cochlear implant may have to be removed. Among them:

The skin flap can become infected.
The body can reject the implant (as happened with the child)
The implant receiver can extrude.
The electrode array can get damaged or the electrodes were not put in right. Or the electrode array can migrate out of place.
The implant simply does not work right.

Why Reimplant a Cochlear Implant?

cochlear implant device failures.

problems with their CI

No surprised... that´s why I support personal choice...

There's no surprising to me that fuzzy did not post any cons of cochlear implants where there are pros and cons on everything in life, personal choice is the correct answer, Liebling. ;)

You know, the world does not evolve around me- there are CI and HAs SUBJECTS to discuss here, not me.

Fuzzy

You are correct....the world does not revolve around you. About time you started behaving accordingly.

The links provided, technically, is not MY reply. It's what the professionals closely involved with CI are saying, not me.

And what "failures" are you talking about? The success rate for cochlear implants that work very well is 99.6%. - is hardly a failure.

Fuzzy

When you use a quote to support your point, it becomes your eveidence, and therefore, your reply. Quite obviously, your previous quote stating that you were well aware of how you use language is not true.

And....as I said, I am talking about soft failures. Since you consider yourself such an expert on all of the implications of implantation, you do know the difference between a hard failure and a soft failure, do you not?

There's no surprising to me that fuzzy did not post any cons of cochlear implants where there are pros and cons on everything in life, personal choice is the correct answer, Liebling. ;)

Exactly

Maybe it escaped your attention but it was disccused about a what? thousand times only?

Fuzzy

: What is the success rate for cochlear implant treatments/surgeries?

A: The success rate for cochlear implants that work very well is 99.6%. There is less than a 1% device failure rate for cochlear implants, and in these rare instances, there is always the possibility of re-implanting or implanting the other side.

Cochlear Implant Q & A

What is the success rate of the cochlear implant, and what is considered a success?

Almost all people that have received the cochlear implant achieve sound awareness and most people are able to understand some speech. About one-half of our adults who have learned language and lost their hearing, this is called post lingual deafness, are able to talk on the telephone in an interactive conversation. Many of our children that are congenitally deaf can also interact on the telephone after they have had their device for several years.

Cochlear Implants: Frequently Asked Questions: Health Topics: University of Iowa Health Care

Thus, if you wait until he gets no significant help from his hearing aids, even if he loses all his residual hearing with the CI (and it doesn’t work for some reason–although the success rate is over 98%), he is no worse off than before. In other words, he has nothing to lose.

Hearing Loss Help » Cochlear Implants--When's the Right Time?

Also from our own sources- our members who were implanted show that the percentage said in those links is most likely correct. Almost everyone have improved hearing with CI.

Fuzzy
Those success stats are not accurate which has been pointed out in another thread (I'll try to dig up that info and post it here). If I remember correctly those numbers represented by the OEM's don't include children and if they did it was more like 10% failures as defined by hardware device failures and not soft failures.

UPDATE - OK I found the links. They are below. It's were I discuss in detal about soft failures and how the OEM numbers are not accurate.

http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...-choose-cis-their-children-15.html#post749434
http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...-choose-cis-their-children-15.html#post750179
http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...-choose-cis-their-children-16.html#post755717
http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...-choose-cis-their-children-16.html#post755760
http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...-choose-cis-their-children-16.html#post755778
http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...-choose-cis-their-children-16.html#post756135
http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...-choose-cis-their-children-16.html#post756137
http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...-choose-cis-their-children-16.html#post756353
http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...iting-off-cochlear-implants-5.html#post766347
http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...iting-off-cochlear-implants-5.html#post766562

Originally Posted by Rockdrummer - Part of what makes me believe they are misrepresenting to their favor are the OEM numbers that only say the hardware failure rate is 1%. What they don't tell you is that when it comes to children the hardware failure rate is 8%.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know someone will ask me for a source so here it is.

Source: Cochlear implant mechanical failures. [Am J Otol. 1996] - PubMed Result

Department of Otolaryngology, Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital, New York, NY 10021, USA.

Cochlear implants have proven to be an effective treatment for profoundly deafened individuals. Unfortunately, like most mechanical devices, these implants occasionally cease to function. The rate at which the cochlear implant fails, however, does not appear to be the same in adults and children. The failure rate for children far exceeds that observed in adults. The overall failure rate reported by Cochlear Corporation notes that whereas only 3% of the adults have had this type of problem, 9% of the children have had failed internal receivers. This research reports on the experiences of a large implant facility in the Northeast. The clinical presentation and the evaluation of children suspected of having an implant failure are reviewed. The mechanical causes for failures are analyzed. Intraoperative findings and results of reimplantation surgery are presented. The possible causes for the increased incidence of failure in children are discussed.

Thanks for the info,rockdrummer . I think 3% rate of failures for adults is not very high . I know every surgery includes failure risks..Life is full of risks...I can,for instance, may die of a traffic accident this is more risky than cochlear implant surgery.. so I will take risks :)

When you use a quote to support your point, it becomes your eveidence, and therefore, your reply. Quite obviously, your previous quote stating that you were well aware of how you use language is not true.

And....as I said, I am talking about soft failures. Since you consider yourself such an expert on all of the implications of implantation, you do know the difference between a hard failure and a soft failure, do you not?

by simple mathematics the failure would be less than 1% and it would be anything- from developing an allergy to materials implanted thru a lesser benefit being just hearing sounds but not being able to acquire speech (which wasn't acquired before implant anyway) to the complete implant failure.

Even with a complete failure this is very very small percentage, and considering how candidacy for surgery is still rather strict, the person implanted didn't lose either way - couldn't hear with HAs anymore, still can't with CI - which is very very rare.

So, yeah, apart from slight risk associated with surgery the complete failure could be another solid reason to not want to rush with implanting. The risk which is less than 1%, btw. Another source rounds up the failure rate to up to 2% which is still like out of 100 pple only two experience failure. And again "failure" may mean many things.

"Soft failure"- I am not sure what fails but it's when the CI does not fail completely however the CI wearer experiences static and/or other undesirable sounds that affect the clarity of sounds and is unable to hear at all.

Fuzzy

I didn't think Jag was being patronzing. I'd say it's true for those with excellent oral skills but poor receptive abilities due to hearing loss; they'd be struggling to comunicate with others and it can be exhausting sometimes. In short, they're thrashing around.

Personally, I don't think hearing or those who are totally deaf are better than those who are HOH. I wouldn't have used this analogy myself but I do get the idea.

Agree.

"Offensive" or "patronizing" is personal (like the decision for CI ;)). For me, I don't think "thrashing" or whatever word was patronizing. I feel like I am struggling and thrashing with lipreading, HAs, speech - everything, now especially. But I know other HoH who hear more with HAs and aren't thrashing. Maybe they would think "thrashing" was being patronizing - their feelings so no right or wrong IMO.

Agree.

"Offensive" or "patronizing" is personal (like the decision for CI ;)). For me, I don't think "thrashing" or whatever word was patronizing. I feel like I am struggling and thrashing with lipreading, HAs, speech - everything, now especially. But I know other HoH who hear more with HAs and aren't thrashing. Maybe they would think "thrashing" was being patronizing - their feelings so no right or wrong IMO.

Like I've said, sure do I struggle sometimes but I don't see it as "thrashing". I am NOT thrashing.

Fuzzy

Sorry about that, deafskeptic. Simply put, pragmatics is the social use of language, and understanding what is approriate in various situations, and the way in which language use affects other's reactions to the one attempting to communicate amessage. Someone who is weak in pragmatics may have one idea in their head.but when attempting to communicate the idea in their head uses language in such a way that the origninal idea is not communicated at all, but rather comes across as something else entirely.....usually offensive and innapropriate. Others react to what is communicated, not what is intended. An inabliltiy to understand what has been phrased incorrectly, and to see the responsibility lies with the one who has obviously made errors in their use of language is a cardinal sign of difficulties in pragmatics. Just as we all keep telling Fuzzy where she is making errors and offending others, and she refuses to see that it is herself, and instead lays blame on the incorrect assumption that she is using language properly and the fault is in our inability to understand what she is saying.

THANK YOU, Jillio! Great word! After million years of ST I never read "pragmatics" - pragmatics explain so much with one word. I hate not knowing the one word and then writing so many words to explain. Is "pragmatics" just a noun or a adjective or verb too? I used "pragmatics definition" in Google but results were "practical" or too confusing about speech like this.

Like I've said, sure do I struggle sometimes but I don't see it as "thrashing". I am NOT thrashing.

No problem - I'm glad you aren't. A HoH friend of mine also is not thrashing I think. Now I am thrashing like caught fish, but I don't know if I would agree about "thrashing" 3 or 4 years ago. Everyone is different with different lives and different struggles.

Back