Anyone here an expert on fishkeeping?

ButterflyGirl said:
The catfish was a Colombian shark. Yes my cichlids are a bit aggressive lol.

The test kit I have is in this link http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...1149201208059&itemNo=2&In=Fish&N=2030068&Ne=2

hey Butterflygirl,

Yes its Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, they are very good one Acutally your 8 ppm is pretty high you need to do large water change at 90%. also you can add prime 1 ml per 10 gallon is best bet.

The Colombian shark isn't live with african cichlids because they are NOt same water chemisty. But african cichlids are going to beat the shark up!
Sorry, I believe your location pet store is mislead!
We have Colombian shark in my stock. They are very nice But they can grow big!

hth
Duncan

Last edited:
Duncan said:
hey Butterflygirl,

Yes its Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, they are very good one Acutally your 8 ppm is pretty high you need to do large water change at 90%. also you can add prime 1 ml per 10 gallon is best bet.

hth
Duncan
That would be 9 gallons of water, right?

sequoias said:
I would love to see a website or something about your fishkeeping hobby, it's the first time I've heard a member from Alldeaf who does breed fish for a living or something.

My parents had turqoise discus and some of them lived for 4 years. They are very fussy fish because they aren't hardy to the water conditions they live in, even tho they can survive in very warm water temperatures.

Hi sequoias,

LOL discus are very fussy fish , Sorry i disagree with you. Its very basic is give them good qualty water. The good quailty water mean is No ammonia, No nitrate, etc. Keep Ph low than 8.0 PH but my perferis at 6.0 PH and 7.0 PH. keep temp at 84. Do not over crowned. Give them good food as Haraki Frozen Bloodworms, Ocean Nuration FLakes as formala 1, formala 2 Reef, and brineshrimps , Beefheart mixtured. Discus can live for 12 years, They can spawn for 8 years. When discus at 2 inches mean is 2 months old when they paired up and have babies at 14 months old to 24 months old depend on what strain discus. The mature discus female at 9 months old to start laid eggs ;) but the angelfish paired up and have babies at 9 months old ;)

i am membership with discus friends you can find me NWCD at simplydiscus.com, Discus as a hobby, NADA, CADA, BCAA, VIDAPA and FITA.

HTH

Duncan

ButterflyGirl said:
That would be 9 gallons of water, right?

you mean 9 gallon water out and leave one gallon water in your tank? if yes. then do it.

HTH

Duncan

here is my big tip:

FYI, the tap water are NOT same. Every where your home towns water are diffrent, but you can find out what type of water you want to know, you can ask your location or your website, They will give you information.

Duncan said:
Hi sequoias,

LOL discus are very fussy fish , Sorry i disagree with you. Its very basic is give them good qualty water. The good quailty water mean is No ammonia, No nitrate, etc. Keep Ph low than 8.0 PH but my perferis at 6.0 PH and 7.0 PH. keep temp at 84. Do not over crowned. Give them good food as Haraki Frozen Bloodworms, Ocean Nuration FLakes as formala 1, formala 2 Reef, and brineshrimps , Beefheart mixtured. Discus can live for 12 years, They can spawn for 8 years. When discus at 2 inches mean is 2 months old when they paired up and have babies at 14 months old to 24 months old depend on what strain discus. The mature discus female at 9 months old to start laid eggs ;) but the angelfish paired up and have babies at 9 months old ;)

i am membership with discus friends you can find me NWCD at simplydiscus.com, Discus as a hobby, NADA, CADA, BCAA, VIDAPA and FITA.

HTH

Duncan

Ahh I see all right, well they DIE easily compared to many other tropical fishes. That's why I said fussy fish, it's my opinion. ;) I didn't know they can live to 12 years, that's a long time...I heard it's pretty hard to get babies with Discus because my parents tried to have them have babies, but they end up eating the eggs. I guess it's because the water quality isn't good and the eggs didn't survive.

wow interesting thread here. I´m glad to have Duncan around here who is expert with fishes... :thumb:

I have few friends who own exotic/tropical fishes. They said that exotic/topical fishes are sensitive than gold fishes. Exotic/topical fishes needs salt water and right temparture which it means is use electricity alot to temperature the water in tank. They needs many things like stones, caves, weeds, etc to keep them survive. They also need one fish who stick on the glass with mouth to "clean on the glass". (I can´t remember which name of "wash fish" - I hope Duncan understand my description, if not then I will ask my co-worker tomorrow - it´ll be my working day tomorrow after 9 days in London yesterday).

I would love to have tropical/exotic fishes one day but my hubby is against it because of much electricity used. :(

Hi ya, Liebling, it is good to see you back. Hope you are doing okay :hug:

Yes, it really depends on what kind of fishes that are suitable for fresh or salt water. Right now I have a freshwater fish tank with 2 African cichlids. The one that always has its mouth sticking to the glass is called a loach, I think but not sure. Yea, I am glad too that we have some fish experts around here in AD :)

Duncan said:
you mean 9 gallon water out and leave one gallon water in your tank? if yes. then do it.

HTH

Duncan

here is my big tip:

FYI, the tap water are NOT same. Every where your home towns water are diffrent, but you can find out what type of water you want to know, you can ask your location or your website, They will give you information.
I just did a water change but unfortunately I do not have Prime. I put some stress coat in the tap water before I poured it into the tank. I will test for ammonia again later and hopefully it will read at a lesser ppm.

I am trying to see where I can find information about my tap water. I will get back to you after I find out.

Liebling:-))) said:
wow interesting thread here. I´m glad to have Duncan around here who is expert with fishes... :thumb:

I have few friends who own exotic/tropical fishes. They said that exotic/topical fishes are sensitive than gold fishes. Exotic/topical fishes needs salt water and right temparture which it means is use electricity alot to temperature the water in tank. They needs many things like stones, caves, weeds, etc to keep them survive. They also need one fish who stick on the glass with mouth to "clean on the glass". (I can´t remember which name of "wash fish" - I hope Duncan understand my description, if not then I will ask my co-worker tomorrow - it´ll be my working day tomorrow after 9 days in London yesterday).

I would love to have tropical/exotic fishes one day but my hubby is against it because of much electricity used. :(

Hi Liebling

In my experince, The exotic tropical fish are NOT sensitve fish. other wise you are very extremily careful to buy fish. when you buy a sick fish then they will die. here is my tip you can raise your hand to top tank for test that you are trying to feed them. if fish are aggressive to go up they want to eat the food , They are healthy. If the fish have white spots its called ICK. Dont buy any fish in the tank. Remember all the fish are NOT the same water chemisty as PH, hardness, temp, ETC....

They also need one fish who stick on the glass with mouth to "clean on the glass". (I can´t remember which name of "wash fish" that is the pleco is algie eater but depend on the type of plecos can eat algie eaters other type plecos are not alige eaters. you can ask me what type of plecos are you looking for. The hundred hundred type of plecos. The common plecos are cheaper cost they do eat algie that makes your tank clean. but they can grow big over 18" to 24" The exotic plecos are very expensive and great job to eat algie, they can grow 4" to 6" depend on what the type of plecos. The chinesse algie eaters are cheaper but they might be to attack the fish if the tank has no algie, I recommand to feed them algie warffle food or zuinch or romian lettuce, cucumber let pleco to eat also other fish will eat zuich or cucumber.

The Marine fish is salt water are not hard to keep, but sad things all the marine fish are wild cought. AT south Asian throw a chemincal bomb to the sea, when the bomb blow up and collect the fish. They do put drugs on the fish to keep alive to sell North american LFS and Europe LFS too. I dont buy any wild cought marine fish. I perfer to buy tank raise marine fish are the best. The tank raise marine fish are expensive than wild cought marine fish.
I know for sure the tank raise marine fish are clownfishes ( nemo) other type of clownfishes, Damsels, Globy, sea horses, other few I know. Other wise in Hawaii catch all marine fish by net are good but cost is too expensive becasue shipping, labour, etc.

I have time got to go to work, when i have time I will find the link the tank raise marine fish, you would be enjoy visiting the site ;)

HTH

Duncan

ButterflyGirl said:
Hi ya, Liebling, it is good to see you back. Hope you are doing okay :hug:

Yes, it really depends on what kind of fishes that are suitable for fresh or salt water. Right now I have a freshwater fish tank with 2 African cichlids. The one that always has its mouth sticking to the glass is called a loach, I think but not sure. Yea, I am glad too that we have some fish experts around here in AD :)

Hi butterfly girl again,

Do you know that african cichlids are brasish water it mean is half salt water and fresh water, they can surive higher than 7.0 PH. My tricky I dont need to add any salt, I used crushed coral and fill up fresh water, They are doing so well and no problems. I have too many babies african cichlids :D

The type of the loaches are Not algie eater, they love to eat snails. Be careful with the Loaches have posion on the gills they can sting your hand not expect for Klumli and weather loaches do not have it.

HTH

Duncan

HTH

Duncan

ButterflyGirl said:
I just did a water change but unfortunately I do not have Prime. I put some stress coat in the tap water before I poured it into the tank. I will test for ammonia again later and hopefully it will read at a lesser ppm.

I am trying to see where I can find information about my tap water. I will get back to you after I find out.

hey butterfly girl that s ok you can use stress coat is Good. Either ways you can fill up your water in a tank then add stress coat in a tank both ways work.

Let u know that stress coat in your tank when you have to do test show ammonia level it s false. Wait for 24 hours to do test you will see improvement water chemsity.

hth
Duncan

Duncan said:
Hi butterfly girl again,

Do you know that african cichlids are brasish water it mean is half salt water and fresh water, they can surive higher than 7.0 PH. My tricky I dont need to add any salt, I used crushed coral and fill up fresh water, They are doing so well and no problems. I have too many babies african cichlids :D

The type of the loaches are Not algie eater, they love to eat snails. Be careful with the Loaches have posion on the gills they can sting your hand not expect for Klumli and weather loaches do not have it.

HTH

Duncan

HTH

Duncan
I also tested for ph yesterday and it showed at 7.6.
I was thinking about getting some crushed coral or sand to put in my next tank. They are better than the gravel rocks, am I correct?

I don't want to get these loaches because I think they are ugly lol.

Duncan said:
hey butterfly girl that s ok you can use stress coat is Good. Either ways you can fill up your water in a tank then add stress coat in a tank both ways work.

Let u know that stress coat in your tank when you have to do test show ammonia level it s false. Wait for 24 hours to do test you will see improvement water chemsity.

hth
Duncan
Ahh thanks for letting me know! Okay I will wait until tomorrow before I test for ammonia again.

did the heater get broken in the water? did you check the glass tube for any cracks if so then the best way is to do a 100 percent water change to get all of the toxins from the tank... thats the only sugguestion I have for this type of situtation and to use a stress coat whenever ure changing the water it's a fishkeeper's best friend

did you clean the gravel before adding it to the tank, and maybe pictures will help the rest of us figure out what's up with the tank :)

Sugar Addict said:
did the heater get broken in the water? did you check the glass tube for any cracks if so then the best way is to do a 100 percent water change to get all of the toxins from the tank... thats the only sugguestion I have for this type of situtation and to use a stress coat whenever ure changing the water it's a fishkeeper's best friend

did you clean the gravel before adding it to the tank, and maybe pictures will help the rest of us figure out what's up with the tank :)
The heater didn't get broken while in the tank. I dropped it onto the floor so that's how it got broken. I am gonig to get a submersible one the next time I go to PetSmart.

100 percent water change? I know it is not a good idea to do a 100 percent water change. Yes, I am using stress coat whenever I do a water change but not 100 percent though.

Of course, I did rinse the gravel and the whole tank out before I put in water and fishes.

Right now my 2 fishes are doing good so far.

ButterflyGirl said:
I also tested for ph yesterday and it showed at 7.6.
I was thinking about getting some crushed coral or sand to put in my next tank. They are better than the gravel rocks, am I correct?

I don't want to get these loaches because I think they are ugly lol.

Hi butterflygirl again,
your ph at 7.6 is OK. Please do not make them PH SHOCK which would kill your fish.

Well, you need to find out what is ph from your water tap. If your water tap come out at 7.0 PH or higher, you might not need crushed coral. If you want your wather ph more than 7.0 you can add crashed coral mixed with gravel it would be great. Sand as gravel are nothing speical but the ph would be stable.

that s ok you dont want clown loaches in your tank LOL. but there is lot of diffrent kind of loaches ;), They are come from india.

HTH

Duncan

Sugar Addict said:

hey Sugar Addict, any type of heaters might be breakable. If you plug on any type of heaters. when the heaters get too hot when you fill up water, It would be break for sure. when you put heater in your tank fill up water then plug on. it would be fine, when you do w/c, you have to do unplug heater for 5 mins before you do w/c. My personal heater brand name is Selth thomertor is the best one, its very tough heater ;)

When your water has been toxic, you can unplug heater, take out all water, to wash gravel and tank before fill up new water when you put fish then add stress coat. For me when i filled up new water i put lot of airsone run for 24 hours. I put fish in tank and I put full seasons sponge filters run on the tank. it always No problems.

HTH

Duncan

Duncan, The type of the loaches are Not algie eater, they love to eat snails. Be careful with the Loaches have posion on the gills they can sting your hand not expect for Klumli and weather loaches do not have it.

The text in bold, are you referring to spotted dojo loach? Those fish are pretty long bodied and they're hardy fish and they will eat anything that gets in the tank (almost). I have one in my tank. ;) They're funny.

sequoias said:
The text in bold, are you referring to spotted dojo loach? Those fish are pretty long bodied and they're hardy fish and they will eat anything that gets in the tank (almost). I have one in my tank. ;) They're funny.

Yes that one is type of Loach. It will eat snails, of course it can eat anything to keep clean gravel and clean your tank but it does not eat algie eater. Be careful with it. It has posion on their gills. Yes its funny to see them.

Duncan

Back