Anyone have people hang up when using Relay?

BethanyDawn

Reaction score
Hello. I am new to the forum. I have not been able to talk on the phone in years, but find that I need to use it frequently. As a result, I am forced to have to ask a family member to make the phone call. Frequently, they either complain (because they don't like to talk on the phone or are busy) or else don't have time to make the phone call, because they work normal 8-5 jobs and the places I need to call are closed by the time they get off of work. I frequently use e-mail, but not all businesses check e-mail on a regular basis. I have used relay in the past, but recently just gave it up altogether. I am hung up on 60% of the time. This is tiring and exhausting to have to go through the entire thing only to be hung up on. Has anyone else ever had this happen? Are they any other options out there?

Sure, people have been hanging up on relay calls for 25 years.... There will always be someone who thinks it's a sales call.

IP based relay or TTY relay oh yes, I hate they hang up. BUT with Sorenson VRS® very rare that they hang up and much faster conversation. If you got High Speed Internet, Deaf or HOH, then go ahead apply for free Sorenson VRS® equipment and installation.

Yes, people do hang up on relay calls....and I still at time use my TDD...what I do is have the relay operator "redial" and "redial" again if necessary! I"ve been very rude to people who hang up!...It's 2010....wake up!....I'm an American citizen, I pay my taxes...and yeah, I'm deaf but people can be so rude, true! Most of it is out of ignorance!...Instead of getting mad anymore...I get "assertive" and give them an "education'! on phone etiquette....

I hate getting hung up on, so I rarely use relay. I get so infuriated when I get hung up on because it is a sign of disrespect!

Forgot to mention....if ur carrier is different from Sprint....and you want to make a long distance call....the relay operator has to dial the number 3-4 sometimes 5 times!...Sprint wants me to change my carrier, but I will not!....

This has been going on for years and years!...It takes me 5 times longer to make a long distance call than hearies!...I've spoken to many of the supervisors with the Florida Relay about this, to no avail!...This is with TDD...

So far, using my P3 with with text chat through i711, I have had no hang-ups. The relay operators don't have any problems with people I call and there have been both businesses and individuals.

IP based relay or TTY relay oh yes, I hate they hang up. BUT with Sorenson VRS® very rare that they hang up and much faster conversation. If you got High Speed Internet, Deaf or HOH, then go ahead apply for free Sorenson VRS® equipment and installation.
I'm still waiting for Sorenson to install eq for me.

I hate it when people hang up on me.

My brain has been "x'ed out" from all those hang ups and people who are not willing to take my calls. I made so many calls like you would not believe...... I will have to look into VRS. I don't think anything is going to make like phone calls again. I always beg people to use e-mail, especially my doctors.

Happened to me all the time when I used ip-relay or any internet relay/TTY. Now that I use VRS - never happens to me.

may i suggest getting the CapTel phone! its a regular phone but has caption that is i you can voice. it works great. i have people hang up on me all time and it anger me to no end!!! one of my peeves is to be hung up on. arrrgg. yeah happened to me 4 times just the last three days. i hate it. if u are a fluent asl then i suggest vrs. good luck.

may i suggest getting the CapTel phone! its a regular phone but has caption that is i you can voice. it works great. i have people hang up on me all time and it anger me to no end!!! one of my peeves is to be hung up on. arrrgg. yeah happened to me 4 times just the last three days. i hate it. if u are a fluent asl then i suggest vrs. good luck.

I have a CapTel phone and it was a life saver. I wish I could still use it as a 2 line, but I can't afford the 2nd phone line. I also have my P3 and Skype.

My greatest number of hang ups on relay is at 32 right now. Yep, it took them 32 times to actually listen to what was being said instead of saying "this is a business, do not try to sell us something". The best part of that was going over that person's head and then having relay write what the boss was saying to the person who kept on hanging up on me. That was fun voyeurism that day!

when I call work to let htem I am sick but they kept hanging up on me so i had to tell mom to call work for me ugh if i got VP then my life wud be easier :P anyway life goes on ;)

I have a CapTel phone and it was a life saver. I wish I could still use it as a 2 line, but I can't afford the 2nd phone line. I also have my P3 and Skype.

You can use web captel with skype, provided that you get a skype "in" number, if you can't use or don't want to use your standard phone line anymore.

CapTel with Sprint stinks.. The spekking is horrible !! I am sending my CapTel back for a refund.. VCO with a VP is a lil better...

There will always be hangups due to time pressed the customer service is put through...

Plenty of times. Now, I have text messaging, email, and aim:)

You can use web captel with skype, provided that you get a skype "in" number, if you can't use or don't want to use your standard phone line anymore.

Most times my computer is busy, and hen I need my phone it isn't easy to move people off the computer. I will plan on getting a 2nd phone line for the 2-line CapTel for all calls to be captioned, not just the outgoing calls.

Most times I rely on my P3.

Back