Anyone have people hang up when using Relay?

if you want, you can tell relay interpreter, "Don't announce" Then they just say what you sign, no tell "this is relay call" It is your call! You have that right. If you don't tell interpreter that, they must announce. But you are customer, you can say, SHHHH! don't announce.

From reading the above comments- I guess I live in the "right country". I used BellRelay Service-711- here in Ontario since 1996. It is only one here in Ontario, that I know of. The Relay Service always say who they are and don't recall much problems in phone conversations. I still use them today as my implant doesn't seem to work- "hearing phone conversations". Not a surprise. I know a lot of operators by name-though they have 4 digits numbers.Still a real fan of the Relay Service assistance.

Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

From my experience that there is high rating that local asian owner trend hang up than white does.

Probably teenage (16-18) would hang up, too. "omg omg! It's scammer, I never talk to deaf before! go away!"

From reading the above comments- I guess I live in the "right country". I used BellRelay Service-711- here in Ontario since 1996. It is only one here in Ontario, that I know of. The Relay Service always say who they are and don't recall much problems in phone conversations. I still use them today as my implant doesn't seem to work- "hearing phone conversations". Not a surprise. I know a lot of operators by name-though they have 4 digits numbers.Still a real fan of the Relay Service assistance.

Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I believe Cogeco has it too in Ontario.

hang ups are a PIA . i always need a back up plan. pizza places and asian places are the worse. those relay intro's area a real killer. i try to force any contacts i make , either professional or personal to use text or email. still i dread calling hearing businesses and they expected struggle with the person picking up the phone. recently i had to call some contractors for estimates , it was about 8 contractors, and the experience was not at all pleasant . the contractors i did hire are the ones that would text or email me, the others lost the jobs

Yep, I'm using the IP relay a lot more often for work. I am not fluent in sign so I don't use the video relay. Ive had people hang up on me, and I just make the operator not say anything about relay and say something that will catch their attention. Usually they apologize for hanging up on me earlier. One even offered to drive to my building to talk business. Hahaha I love making them feel guilty.

I believe Cogeco is a TV cable provider not a Phone company at least in Ontario. Doesn't matter- I deal with Bell Canada. When I dial 711 they answer Relay Service-not their legal name.That is my experience over the last 15 years. I know Bell Canada spun off the Relay into whatever a few years ago- moved from London and Montreal to Kitchener and Quebec City. Easy to spot-different operator numbers!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Here you have the option of asking Relay not to "announce themselves" initially as Relay until they've connected with the person, mention who they're calling for (ie the d/D/Hoh/SI person) - this really reduces hang ups for places that aren't at all familiar with relay.

I don't recall the operator keying the other party hung up because they didn't want the Relay service on the call. Different I guess here in Ontario.

I don't recall the operator keying the other party hung up because they didn't want the Relay service on the call. Different I guess here in Ontario.

Often they hang up while the relay operator is "introducing themselves" (not translated to you) ... if they are hung up on, they simply dial back and try again. IF they are hung up on AGAIN (a second time) they will relay this information to the TTY user ... otherwise - they often do not (so you'd never know).

Also - there are less hang-ups with VCO calls ... generally speaking.

HTH

Anij: My experience-so far is very different- just lucky over the last 15 years. All my calls use VCO. Hope it remains that way for the next 25 years!

I find from experience that better to just stick to the subject or get to the point when having a relay conversation. Then as soon you accomplish what you want, end the conversation. None of that "How are you doing, etc...?".

1st time, VP-100 never hung up me, quiet

2nd, I got VP-200 early, never hung up me, later I got direct number, never hung up me but little one time hung up me

3rd, I got new 10-digital many many hung up me!!!

Interesting. When I had a TDD, I had many hangup calls, and I would go to the businesses I tried to call to set them straight, if they were in town. Since I got the VP 200 a few months ago I haven't had a single problem. Woot.

I don't get it. Why would they hang up?

Many times because:

a) They mistake the "Relay service" as a service that "Sells something" (ie like carpet cleaning, insurance, cruises etc) or think it's a charity asking for money... they don't understand that it's a translation service and hang up saying "sorry we don't want any", or "we've already donated to ...."

b) They've been "burned" too many times by scammers who use relay as a means to commit a fraud/scam from various places including prisons and foreign countries - Nigeria being the location of most scam calls for the last 10+years.

While it's very frustrating - I try to remember that many people have never even heard of a "Relay service" let alone USED one to have a conversation with someone. If I'm going to be doing a transaction , or starting a long term relationship with a company etc I always try to email that place first and make a contact with a specific person (for example "Jim" at my car dealership/repair centre). In the emails I tell them that I will be calling via a relay service on a specific day and time (eg. Monday between 1&2pm) then I explain that when I call they will announce they are "...relay service" and calling on behalf of myself. Typically I'll also explain that because instead of talking and listening, I type and read - that during the call someone called a "relay operator" will voice for me exactly what I type, then when "Jim" speaks the relay operator will type to me whatever "Jim" says. I also mention that the Relay Operators have to follow a special code of ethics and confidentiality so it is "safe" for them to ask for my charge card numbers, address, phone number etc during a TTY call (unlike in an email where it's not "safe" to include a credit card number etc as it can be intercepted etc).

While this may seem like a major PITA to go to all this trouble - I do find that IF I run into places that haven't dealt with Relay before, they really appreciate that I "walk them through" how to use relay, what to expect etc ... in fact I've had them thank me for explaining it to them in emails and ask for permission to send the email to all their staff to educate them on using relay etc. I tend to be one of those people who will go out of my way to help pave a path for others who are Hoh/d/Deaf - I'll spend a great deal of time explaining services, communication techniques etc to people because I know how difficult it was for me growing up WITHOUT any of that ...I use my ability to speak and sign to my advantage allowing me to explain a number of things, dispel misconceptions (espeically that people who sign "aren't smart" etc).
If I'm able to make things easier for even ONE other Hoh/d/Deaf person, I consider all the "extra trouble" time well spent.

Many times because:

a) They mistake the "Relay service" as a service that "Sells something" (ie like carpet cleaning, insurance, cruises etc) or think it's a charity asking for money... they don't understand that it's a translation service and hang up saying "sorry we don't want any", or "we've already donated to ...."

b) They've been "burned" too many times by scammers who use relay as a means to commit a fraud/scam from various places including prisons and foreign countries - Nigeria being the location of most scam calls for the last 10+years.

Yep, this pretty much sums it up.

We've been hung up on a few times using TDD, but with VRS, very rarely.

I have to use VCO when dealing with Craigslist customers. Lots of weird people out there, when they leave a number to call about something I am selling, they will hang up or freak out when an interpreter makes the announcement.

Perhaps if business "hangs up on one's Relay call"- consider not worth dealing with you! Try another one! Does money talk?

Perhaps if business "hangs up on one's Relay call"- consider not worth dealing with you! Try another one! Does money talk?

I have had the County courthouse hang up on a relay call. Also, the Department of Vital Statistics. Can't get the certified copy of your birth certificate or marriage certificate anywhere else. So, I had to go in person.

Consider complaining to the Governor's office. Might help. The original concern was about business persons- hanging up- not government services.

Back