Anyone have or use a 3-D printer?

One thing that I'm wondering is, about the materials used in the 3-D printers. Right now, they are limited to a certain kind of plastic, correct? So, the products they can make have limitations in function and durability.

Not really, there are various type of plastic, ranging from hard rubber to soft to hard plastic and can print various colors (which is PinA with our printers).

Now the only biggest pain in the neck is maintenance, when you are done with it, you have to clean it completely, all the tiny holes, surface etc. Can't leave any tiny speck on the surface due to close tolerance of printing.

Wow, was it full size? Even if not, a miniature would be cool, too. Yes, I'd like to see that picture.

image.jpg Reba, this is the chair it's a miniature 4.5"x2.5"

Her project was to design 3-D furniture etc. for a house .

image.jpg It's 4" tall and about 1" wide

Reba, here is the Christmas Story movie leg lamp.

As far as home use, do you think they'll get beyond using them for making toys and trinkets? That is, what would be a practical at-home use (if any)?

If I had one, I would replace the occasional broken blender cup, lids for Tupperware, etc. Maybe even craft a new, unique case for my WAP.

As far as home use, do you think they'll get beyond using them for making toys and trinkets? That is, what would be a practical at-home use (if any)?

I wish I could recase hearing aids at home in really cool colors. I like bright colors and change in my wardrobe.

Don't know if that would be possible.

We'll just have to keep that puppy from traveling back in time and leaving it's 3D printed cart behind for scientist to study thereby preventing the war between humans and cyborg puppys.

Friend of mine at work bought one of the kits based on the open source projects. Think it was around $500. He's been having a lot of fun with it. I was going to see if the plastic was strong enough to build some replacement back gears for my metal lathe.

My local Sam's Club is doing picture scans for custom 3D superhero action figures. You get your head scanned and they will 3D print a superhero with your head on it... and mail it to you.

3D printing

Is anyone into 3D printing? I am! Here are a few things I got 3D printed.

If you got anything 3D printed, share it in this thread!

3D prints

Here are a few things I got 3D printed.

If you got anything 3D printed, share it in this thread!

Back