Anyone have or use a 3-D printer?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
What is your experience and opinion of a 3-D printer that you have used?

experience - none

opinion - cool

I went to World Maker Faire (think of it as a very large science/technology fair). There were several different models and bunch of small businesses using it for various things.

I have never used one, nor owned one, although if I do ever print my pictures, one of these would likely do the job. Like printing the picture below that's my signature. A large frame picture like that requires certain printers.

What is your experience and opinion of a 3-D printer that you have used?

My daughter had to do a lot of 3-D printing for one of her classes. She just went to Kinkos. I remember her saying the 3-D printers were pretty cool but it cost her a fortune to print these items out. I don't think I know anyone who actually owns one though.

one interesting thing i saw about a year ago was someone using a 3-D printer to 'print' guns. Guns that actually work. :O

No experience at all but heard the advanced kinds are manufacturing parts for US stealth aircraft.

I have never used one, nor owned one, although if I do ever print my pictures, one of these would likely do the job. Like printing the picture below that's my signature. A large frame picture like that requires certain printers.

3D printer is not for printing a picture

Never used one, but Home Depot now sells several models, cheapest one I think is $1,000.

My daughter designed and 3-D printed the leg lamp from The Christmas Story movie. I'll try to find a picture of it to post later. It was pretty cool.

Never used one. But seen it on tv, it does look neat to print 3D solid objects.

We do have 3D printers here at work. We use it as either test products or useful tools, like in the picture below, the clear hard plastic, we us it for injection tool and the black one as a product design, so we can get the feel of the real world product along with real electronic hardware installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 17
No experience at all but heard the advanced kinds are manufacturing parts for US stealth aircraft.
I think I heard that the astronauts in the space station could use one for making spare parts.

One thing that I'm wondering is, about the materials used in the 3-D printers. Right now, they are limited to a certain kind of plastic, correct? So, the products they can make have limitations in function and durability.

experience - none

opinion - cool

I went to World Maker Faire (think of it as a very large science/technology fair). There were several different models and bunch of small businesses using it for various things.
As far as home use, do you think they'll get beyond using them for making toys and trinkets? That is, what would be a practical at-home use (if any)?

I think you have in mind large-format printers like professional artists and photographers use. I have friends who have high-quality prints made of their original work that way. That is not the same as 3-D printers.

My daughter had to do a lot of 3-D printing for one of her classes. She just went to Kinkos. I remember her saying the 3-D printers were pretty cool but it cost her a fortune to print these items out. I don't think I know anyone who actually owns one though.
What did she make with the 3-D printer?

I would like to buy it once price go down.

That's one I really want one.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1913

It's GREAT idea for hobby.

Like that. https://learn.adafruit.com/3d-printed-el-wire-laser-neopixel-led-gas-mask
Yeah, the prices are outrageous. That happens with all new technology. It might take a while for the price to come down.

Just like ink cartridges for ink-jet printers, the plastic filament replacements will be an ongoing cost to factor in. I don't know how far a filament spool goes but they looked skimpy to me.

This could be a fun way to get started in the technology:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/3doodle...acks/8659771.p?id=1219357505915&skuId=8659771

(video demonstration included)

My daughter designed and 3-D printed the leg lamp from The Christmas Story movie. I'll try to find a picture of it to post later. It was pretty cool.
Wow, was it full size? Even if not, a miniature would be cool, too. Yes, I'd like to see that picture.

Back