any deaf scuba divers there?

DeafSCUBA98 said:
all i own is 5 mm wetsuit and 7 mm wetsuit both full body worn
and 5 mm boots.
2mm gloves
fins, mask, snorkle

all others i rent the following items,
BC, weight belt(if BC don't have weight included), tank, regulator, camera

since i can't afford to own the BC myself because they're well over $1,000 for a good quality ones.. :eek:

Look up at eBay. I got my $750 Zeagle Ranger BCD for only $300, and it was only used once. I bought my Scubapro Twinjets for $75 (by the way, I like my twin jets, but they're not good for current dives - good for lakes and low current dives - for high currents, a regular fin's much better). I got my UK eLED light for only $40... it goes on and on, www.ebay.com is the cheapest place to get your stuff. Make sure the product you're looking at is well-represented, and have them serviced by the LDS (local dive shop). Prices at LDS are ridiculously expensive. Also, check your local newspaper for scuba stuff, that's how I got my scuba tank for so cheap ($65). I bought my $2,500 DUI drysuit for only $500 by looking up classifieds at www.scubaboard.com. There's a ton of places where you can find scuba gear for less.

I also strongly recommend www.leisurepro.com and www.scubatoys.com.

A good BCD doesn't necessarily have to be over $1,000. My first BCD was a Sherwood Avid, and I loved it - I sold it becuase I needed a BCD with more lbs of lift for underwater treasures and possibly dual tanks in the future.

If you need any assistance with buying scuba stuff for a good price, i'd be glad to help out. Just PM me or send me a message to my pager: mmolter@tmail.com

I am a certified scuba diver too!

Since March 2002, I have certified advanced, and I accumlated 92 dives so far. Had gone to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Bahamas and Cayman Islands. I would like to go to Bonaire or Australia ( to see Great Whites!) someday. I'm going to take Stress and Rescue class next month, and take Divecon class in the Spring. I'd like to be a divemaster or instructor, relocating to Cozumel. That's my dream but I hope I could meet it. Any divers who are certified too?

DeafSCUBA98 said:
hey yukon...
how is the twin spilt fins? is it better than the regular fins? i'm considering to buy those.

Oh yeah, that relaxes your calves when you kick your fins, and the speed. It's different from having the fins that has no splits. I tried the split fins and fell in love with it. Never went back to my original fins.

I told my hubby that he could wear a tuxedo in a dry suit and it still wouldn't get wet. He didn't believe me. :D

I took scuba class at gally.. I passed the water test, but failed the written test by one wrong question. Damn it. :rl: It was fun while it lasted, though. :giggle: Might take up new classes with the local divers in my area, when I have more money. I'm still interested in diving. I gotta dive in Palau when we visit family there in 2007!

I was a certified scuba diver several years ago and it has been a while since the last time I made a dive. After reading all these messages here I felt like going back to scuba diving again! Have any of you went to the Cayman Islands to scuba dive? The sea over there is sooooo crystal clear and really beautiful!!!

DeafSCUBA98 said:
I was wondering if there's certificated deaf scuba divers around. I only know few deaf divers, and I am cerrificated open water diver. It requires to dive with a buddy, most people can't afford one or anything.

I am a certified scuba diver too! ! ! Scuba diving is F U N ! ! ! ! Love it! ! Cant wait go to Caribbean in next summer of 2006 with my husband for our 10th anniersary marriage ! ! !

SilenceGold said:
I dived as deep as 200 meters....and I have a cochlear implant. It didn't bother me. :D

ARe you serious?? I was thinking about having a cochlear implant but I love diving better. I thought it would affect the implant. How did you do that? I keep hearing that when you have it, you have to seal your ears because water would get in and causes damage. Just tell me how ....

BlueButterfly said:
I was a certified scuba diver several years ago and it has been a while since the last time I made a dive. After reading all these messages here I felt like going back to scuba diving again! Have any of you went to the Cayman Islands to scuba dive? The sea over there is sooooo crystal clear and really beautiful!!!

Yes it's one of my favorite sites. I went to East End to stay for 7 days on Thanksgiving 2002 with my partner and I fell in love with the island. I hope someday I can move there and just dive and sell my art. I know there is not much a deaf community but it's ok. :)

Any of you go to Cozumel for diving?

I'm only asking you because I'd like to know how many deaf divers come to Cozumel that I am working on having a business with a hearing owner when I become an instructor or a dive master. That's all I would like to know. :)

DeafSCUBA98 said:
I was wondering if there's certificated deaf scuba divers around. I only know few deaf divers, and I am cerrificated open water diver. It requires to dive with a buddy, most people can't afford one or anything.
I'm a certified open water scuba diver now. I'm in Wyoming, so if you need a buddy, let me know and I will work out something if I can. :thumb:

christytex said:
I'm only asking you because I'd like to know how many deaf divers come to Cozumel that I am working on having a business with a hearing owner when I become an instructor or a dive master. That's all I would like to know. :)

My local dive shop always uses Apple's Dive Paradise in Cozumel. I went down there with them a few years ago. The LDS tries to set up 1 or 2 Cozumel trips a year.

Steve <currently working on Rescue Diver Cert>

Signing and Diving

I live in southeast Florida and love diving. Just finished the rescue diver course also.

If anyone in this area dives and knows signing, I would like to try diving with you. (advanced, nitrox, rescue certs. I am NOT wreck or cave certified.) I only know finger spelling right now, but am about to take a class in signing. Sure would be a better way to communicate than all the finger pointing and stuff. I can never tell what my 'dive buddy' is trying to tell me.

I saw a lot of comments in this thread that seem to be from people that think they can not do it. The iinstructors have been teaching this for a long time and they know just how much to cover in each class. You will never feel rushed. You do not start to a new thing until you feel comfortable with the thing you just learned. And you get lots of relaxed, fun practice.

So what if most divers pee in their wetsuit ? Its all diluted. Compare that to eating fish. Fish "breathe" their own pee and other fish pee (and worse).

I have been scuba diving , but aint no professional!!

Kashveera

I know this is an old thread but I am going to revive it. Let yall know that I do dive and been diving for about 3 years now. I am crazy about scuba and would love to talk anything related to scuba - anything you wanted to learn. By the way, I have a CI for more than 12 years and never had any problems when diving.

We are a small group of Deaf divers.we live in Ontario Canada and are Advanced open water certification.We will be get the nitrox gas certification this spring.We like to dive in Lake Huron ,Georgian Bay,Tobermory,and the St. Lawrence river where we have many big shipwrecks.Is there a Deaf scuba club in U.S.A?I try to find it on computer but not find it.We are going on a trip to Cozumel ,Mexico to get away from the cold Canada winter! :cheers:

k

oh cool.. what are the ages in this group?? as where is the classes now since I wouldn't mind a refresher course since I am a certified PADI... Please advise and with appreciation.. smile.. dang cold water in tobermory lol..

I live in southeast Florida and love diving. Just finished the rescue diver course also.

If anyone in this area dives and knows signing, I would like to try diving with you. (advanced, nitrox, rescue certs. I am NOT wreck or cave certified.) I only know finger spelling right now, but am about to take a class in signing. Sure would be a better way to communicate than all the finger pointing and stuff. I can never tell what my 'dive buddy' is trying to tell me.

I saw a lot of comments in this thread that seem to be from people that think they can not do it. The iinstructors have been teaching this for a long time and they know just how much to cover in each class. You will never feel rushed. You do not start to a new thing until you feel comfortable with the thing you just learned. And you get lots of relaxed, fun practice.

So what if most divers pee in their wetsuit ? Its all diluted. Compare that to eating fish. Fish "breathe" their own pee and other fish pee (and worse).

cool about the rescue diving is cool... lmao the pee part I use to hold it till i get out of the water thinking the sharks will come after me lmao.. just kidding... I've been to cozumel it's beautiful there and one of my dream is to swim with the dolphins..

I know this is an old thread but I am going to revive it. Let yall know that I do dive and been diving for about 3 years now. I am crazy about scuba and would love to talk anything related to scuba - anything you wanted to learn. By the way, I have a CI for more than 12 years and never had any problems when diving.

OMG i didn't realize I was replying to an old post lmao... oh well.. hope we all can continue this as summer is just around the corner smile..

glad this thread has been refreshed..

I am hoping to meet some of you guys on this comming oct 28- nov 4th.. on the deaf cruise.. and i'm hoping to have a diving package with dolphins as you see on the video.

any of you deaf/hh/hearing peeps going to deaf cruise on the freedom of seas? scuba diving plan? i'm hoping they have the package for this.. since its going to be so much fun.
i had to take refresh course.. i remembered most of the diving techiques. but want to make sure i didn't miss or forgot any.

glad this thread has been refreshed..

I am hoping to meet some of you guys on this comming oct 28- nov 4th.. on the deaf cruise.. and i'm hoping to have a diving package with dolphins as you see on the video.

any of you deaf/hh/hearing peeps going to deaf cruise on the freedom of seas? scuba diving plan? i'm hoping they have the package for this.. since its going to be so much fun.
i had to take refresh course.. i remembered most of the diving techiques. but want to make sure i didn't miss or forgot any.

That's a cool idea to meet up with the others on the Cruise I'm sure you will find maybe post it on the board or PA or something when you go on the Cruise..(maybe you can contact the organizator of this cruise to list some people for you) I'm sure there's alot of people as if I was going I would goooo for sure to scuba dive!!! cozumel is beautiful to dive, i wasn't too impress with grand cayman islands.. so if your certification is expired after 10 years can you do a refresher course to still be certified?? or you have to do the whole dang thing over again?? wish you the best of luck!!!

Back