any deaf business owner?

DeafSCUBA98

Reaction score
i'm thinking of owning some sort of franchise.. and no its not a restruant.

but it has something to deal with customers.

I'm wondering how will you deal with customers.. and things like that since its a lack of communication between deaf and hearing.. i know there's a way to hire hearing people to work under me.. since its kinda hard to trust.. what i think is..

they(hearing worker) might think "oh the owner's deaf.. i can do whatever i want" that sort kind of thing

a store i want to own is similar to fun stuff, hobbies, and retail.

any ideas:deal:

yes, i have know three deaf owners so far.

one in Seattle, i met, name place robert own is Abbondanza Pizzeria.
one is my boss, he own small manufacturing called Krown Mfg.
and one deaf, I dunno who is he, own Olive Oil the italian resturnt here in Fort Worth, TX.

I'm think about own resturant someday.

Here's a list of top franchises for 2007:

1. Subway
2. Dunkin' Donuts
3. Jackson Hewitt Tax Service
4. 7-Eleven Inc.
5. UPS Store, The/Mail Boxes Etc.
6. Domino's Pizza LLC
7. Jiffy Lube Int'l. Inc.
8. Sonic Drive In Restaurants
9. McDonald's
10. Papa John's Int'l. Inc.

Source: Top Franchise Opportunities

Running a franchise is a lot of work. Be prepared to work 10-12 hours everyday in the beginning. Depending on the location, usually one franchise isn't profitable; you would need a couple to see real profits.

How does one begin the process of owning a franchise?

How does one begin the process of owning a franchise?
ur meaning to this?

what i think you mean was how to start it...

it takes alot of effort.. and alot of searching for a perfect place to settle and alot of money.. normally they have royalty fee and some rules.

franchise can cost between $5,000 up to $4 million to start. depend on what and where and how u want it to look.. fancy, etc.

for one.. i contact for information.. and they strongly recoomand to settle a place where there's more than 100,000 people within 5 to 10 miles radius. and thats no where near me.. but i don't know if taking that risk is a worth a shot?

I have a friend who has his own pool cleaning business. I used to go to elementary school with him. Now, my deaf friend is working for him and will soon be promoted. :)

ur meaning to this?

what i think you mean was how to start it...

it takes alot of effort.. and alot of searching for a perfect place to settle and alot of money.. normally they have royalty fee and some rules.

franchise can cost between $5,000 up to $4 million to start. depend on what and where and how u want it to look.. fancy, etc.

for one.. i contact for information.. and they strongly recoomand to settle a place where there's more than 100,000 people within 5 to 10 miles radius. and thats no where near me.. but i don't know if taking that risk is a worth a shot?

I mean..do u buy a already operating store or build one? I know the process of starting up a business and leasing office space or overhead but I mean like, for example, buying a store from McDonald's ..how does one do it or have to build a new McDonald's store? Just curious. :)

Here's another question. How many deaf people are into high expectation entrepreneurship? This is as opposed to owning a franchise, or a mom-and-pop, or a small outlet. "High expectation entrepreneurship [comprises] all start-ups and newly formed businesses which expect to employ at least 20 employees within five years." (Source)

Here's an interesting discussion on deaf entrepreneurs. This is the doctoral dissertation of Sue Ellen Pressman:

A NATIONAL STUDY OF DEAF ENTREPRENEURS AND SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS: IMPLICATIONS FOR CAREER COUNSELING

As for the employees, I understand what you mean. If you're really worried about it, have you thought of running the franchise with someone else who can help you ensure employee loyalty? They can be an employee and don't necessarily have to be a co-owner. The rule of thumb I live by is that if someone don't invest money in the business, don't give them equity or make them a co-owner.

Really, though. I think the key here is that how you act with them determines their loyalty. I'd say give your employees a shot. The honest ones will work with you, the ones who don't wouldn't be good employees even if you were hearing. I wouldn't stress too much about it. Just improve your hiring and screening process. See how you interact with them during the interview. That'll give you a lot of hints.

i'm thinking of owning some sort of franchise.. and no its not a restruant.

but it has something to deal with customers.

I'm wondering how will you deal with customers.. and things like that since its a lack of communication between deaf and hearing.. i know there's a way to hire hearing people to work under me.. since its kinda hard to trust.. what i think is..

they(hearing worker) might think "oh the owner's deaf.. i can do whatever i want" that sort kind of thing

a store i want to own is similar to fun stuff, hobbies, and retail.

any ideas:deal:

I am own horse board business as example boarders ( owner s horse ) place his horse live in my barn so He pay me monthly Plus I am breeding Chessie puppies! :):):)

Try first your small business and boom to big!

I have no really information about franchise but I did remember long time .. If you own franchise.. You don't get all profits and must split little percent to company founder

I've always wanted to open up a small restruant, but no ribs :nono:

forget to add

I do remember long time about early 80's.

In Arizona, Man bought Macdonald Franchise.. Then He was obvious sick of pay to supplies by Macdonald..

Year later, Macdonald offices something alike that suspicion with him Because He don't order food Meat hamburgers at all?

They went to inspection and bust with man because They found him make own slaughter horses to meat for community ate it in Macdonald!

:eek3:

i never been busniess owners before in my life

mostly hearing people who been owners as restaurant and stores,etc.have lots as experiences in degrees of busniess to become owners i know that not easy to become owners when you study in colleges.

my mom been work in busniess include in Mo for printing busniess called Lallemand&Associates,Co Inc. so she can work 2 jobs includes hospital and printing busniess but my mom experiences in KS befores when i was little girl before my mom and me,my brother moves to Arkansas my mom kept jobs in Mo and my mom work at Robertson Press Machinery Co,Inc and my mom not work this jobs anymores and my mom getting create jobs for that.

deaf business owners

I noticed a couple posts about deaf business owners or someone deaf thinking about starting a business. That is what I specialize in, helping deaf people with resources to start up a business, or to improve a current business's advertising, legal accessibility, legal consulting regarding current businesses. if you d like, you can contact me at info@smallbusinessshield.biz (please put in that you 're contacting me from ALLDEAF.COM Blog.) I am deaf myself, thanks!

Last edited:
There are huge differences of purchasing a franchise as opposed to start-up one or even buying a business. There are many pros and cons you will have to do your own research. I highly recommend you, op, to contact SCORE. That is a non-profit organization that helps startups. Community colleges have short-term classes for startups as well. They can help you. Similar classes are offered at vocational training schools (Here in Central NY, we have those two classes at Onondaga Community College and BOCES Adult Career Training Center. You should really consider having an advisor to help you decide which route to go through. Franchise can be great but like someone said you have to own a few to see a profit. Why? The royalities have to be paid to the Franchisor. For example, if you are interested in McDonalds Restaurant, you have to pay a certain percentage of profit to the company. That money would have been your profit. That is your downside. The upside is that those royalities are helpful to get advertising on tv, radio, and print. The Mom-and-Pops store owners are having hard time because of those big names are in control these days and the profits are eaten away because not many shoppers are at the M-and-P stores. Those are a few of many pros-and-cons you have to review and think about.

I am Deaf and I own Marco daManlius Designs and I am very creative. I started this because it was tough to find a full-time job as a designer because of discrimination. Speaking of that, that is what happens with people who are Deaf and owning their own businesses. It is a lot harder than a Hearing person owning a business because of communication. Businesses do not want to bother with emails anymore. And with phone calls, they do accept when dealing business but with relay, thats a whole another story. That is why I agree on some of you about hiring a hearing person. I have someone who handles phone calls for me. That way people will not discriminate because they would think I have a public relations representative. I actually do! I have one do the calls, the other do budget and billing, and I just use my imagination. BUT I am responsible to get my word out. Make press releases often to media in form of email or better, print them and mail them along with your photo and projects you are doing or selling, a brochure, and a GIFT for them. Example, if you are a writer, give them a copy of your book. If you are a cook, bring them a dish OR a coupon with a business card to invite them in to try a meal (food critics love this!), or if you are a carpenter, build a house or remodel it and invite the media for open house. The most important thing is have good PR. that will get you business. I am trying hard to have mine a good PR. One media newspaper around here realized how good I draw after I gave them a thank you gift along with the next event I am having (December 11, 2012, see www.marcodamanliusdesigns.com for more details) and they were shocked to see how excellent I draw and they immediately printed about me! Really works! Most media do not care about deaf and thats a fact. True. I had 40th anniversary of my art and design experience event and no media announced it because I am Deaf. Best not to say you are Deaf. Sorry to say that and no offense. I learned alot by comparing by saying I am Deaf and others I did not say I am Deaf. When I say I am not Deaf, I get more responses likely. True! So, my advice, NOT to say you are Deaf. Say that AFTER you meet your client or customer or potential business client or partner or supplier for you. Please feel free to ask me for advice or just to talk about it. Thank you for listening.

I'm totally deaf and recently started my own at-home editing business. A lifetime of reading everything I could get my hands on, extensive studies in English, and long experience grading papers prepared me to edit novels for writers submitting to agents and those who self-publish.

I edited novels for free until I gathered enough successful books on a résumé.

Now I offer to edit a writer's first 3,000 words as a free sample. If he or she is satisfied with my work, I offer a price-per-word for the next chapters depending on individual writing skills. Authors only pay for edits which they approve.

I've edited a western, a psychological thriller, a murder mystery, and four youth/young adult paranormal novels this year. Two are already published, two are scheduled to hit bookshelves early in 2013, and one has been picked up for representation by an agent.

I encounter the occasional surdophobic, and a few prospective clients are put off by email- and text-only communications, but I figure if we can't express ourselves in writing, then we both better give up the idea of producing novels.

It's long hours, but it's grown into a decent living in hard times.

My advice for other deafies is to look into your unique skills and experiences and put them to work where you're the boss.

yes, i have know three deaf owners so far.

one in Seattle, i met, name place robert own is Abbondanza Pizzeria.
one is my boss, he own small manufacturing called Krown Mfg.
and one deaf, I dunno who is he, own Olive Oil the italian resturnt here in Fort Worth, TX.

I'm think about own resturant someday.

Hey, Krown is in Ft Worth, right?! Are they hiring late next year? I'm looking to get out of retail.

When you find a location, find out from businesses across from the street or even next door to the space just how long it's been vacant. In one shopping strip, there are 3 vacancies; vacant for 3, 5, and 6 years. In another one, near where I live, it has only ONE tenant and has never had two or more there, and it was built 4 YEARS AGO! This is in HOUSTON!

Last edited:
Back