Anti-U.S. adoption bill

Maybe they did that because they were angry at how the US handles Russian adoptions.
Adopted boy, 7, sent back alone to Russia - World news - Europe - Russia | NBC News
Very interesting! Because it's widely viewed that the reason for anti-US adoption is retaliation for U.S. act against rights abusers called the Magnitsky Act.

Anyway, I see one wrong thing in this situation. His adopted mother should contact the agency in Russia to tell them about the boy's violent behavior before sending him back with an adult. I bet it's the first time that it happened.

I would respect their decision. Its their country not ours. And there is so many America children that don't have parents or family, whats wrong with these poor America children?

Why is Russia considering a ban on U.S. adoptions?

I would respect their decision. Its their country not ours. And there is so many America children that don't have parents or family, whats wrong with these poor America children?

I totally agree. It still is sad though because Russia has so many children that need a family and their living conditions aren't so good. Americans adopted many Russian children before this.

I totally agree. It still is sad though because Russia has so many children that need a family and their living conditions aren't so good. Americans adopted many Russian children before this.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's likely because of the red tape and waiting time for adopting here. Although personally, I get fed up every time I hear a celebrity adopting from outside the U.S. If anyone could buy their way through the red tape, it's them.

Laura

Why is Russia considering a ban on U.S. adoptions?

Backers of the Russian bill said American adoptive parents have been abusive, citing 19 deaths of adopted Russian children since the 1990s.
and
In 2010, an American woman sparked outrage after she sent her adopted son back to Russia alone on a one-way flight, saying the boy, then 7, had violent episodes that made her family fear for its safety.
(For more info, see post #2)

but

The move is widely seen as retaliation for a law that U.S. President Barack Obama signed on December 14. That bill, called the Magnitsky Act, imposes U.S. travel and financial restrictions on human rights abusers in Russia.

Russia's President just signed it so it already becomes a law effective on Jan 1st.

and

but

Russia's President just signed it so it already becomes a law effective on Jan 1st.

The irony here is they mention 19 deaths in American hands, but what's not said is that Russia doesn't have a stellar record themselves on caring for unwanted children - one of the primary reasons they first made adoptions available worldwide. This law will prevent Americans from adopting but it'll do little to end the mistreatment of Russian children in institutional care.

Laura

The irony here is they mention 19 deaths in American hands, but what's not said is that Russia doesn't have a stellar record themselves on caring for unwanted children - one of the primary reasons they first made adoptions available worldwide. This law will prevent Americans from adopting but it'll do little to end the mistreatment of Russian children in institutional care.

Laura
I know. That's why I asked the first question in my original post. We will be watching them.

Anyway,

Americans adopted close to 1,000 Russian children last year, according to U.S. State Department figures.
So I wonder how many children were adopted by people in other countries such as France, Germany and UK the same year.

I think it is because there is too much red tape involved with adopting children from this country.

The American legal system makes it more difficult, time-consuming, and expensive to adopt children. Even older, special needs children, get tied up in legal red tape that hinders their timely adoption. Many American birth parents, for whatever reasons, don't release their children for adoption, so they end up in a series of foster homes. Then, there are too many instances of children being adopted then having to be turned back to a birth parent when someone finds out that baby daddy has been found in prison, or belongs to a native tribe, or mom changes her mind, or didn't fill out the paper work properly. After going thru the frustration and heartache of the American process, some couples resort to overseas adoptions.

Isn't time to re-think how our government runs, too many red tapes. They are doing more harm than good. Yeah, I am going though too many red tapes and I'm sick of this.

The American legal system makes it more difficult, time-consuming, and expensive to adopt children. Even older, special needs children, get tied up in legal red tape that hinders their timely adoption. Many American birth parents, for whatever reasons, don't release their children for adoption, so they end up in a series of foster homes. Then, there are too many instances of children being adopted then having to be turned back to a birth parent when someone finds out that baby daddy has been found in prison, or belongs to a native tribe, or mom changes her mind, or didn't fill out the paper work properly. After going thru the frustration and heartache of the American process, some couples resort to overseas adoptions.

Isn't time to re-think how our government runs, too many red tapes. They are doing more harm than good. Yeah, I am going though too many red tapes and I'm sick of this.

it's to protect biological parents' rights. it's devastating enough when you have your own child taken away from you.

No no, majority of these children were reject them by their own biological parents, and were unfit parents as well. Now, they have to go though red tape to find right parents for them.

it's to protect biological parents' rights. it's devastating enough when you have your own child taken away from you.

After Russia banned the adoption so most Americans will adopt a child from China.

Back