Another Q' about hearie familys communicate....

Nope, my hearing family are oral. I do wish my family signs.

I'm Oral but I also can sign...haven't learned until 6th grade but my family refuse to learn and they only speak, so I just listen and lipread when they talk.

lol...they have to cover their mouths if they want to have private conversation if I'm in the room or in front of them, because I'm prolong to read their lips.

And I hate it when people do that. My older cousins did that a lot when I was younger and they would pull pranks on me. The adults would do nothing about it. So I just quit hanging out with my family altogether.

Nowadays, when someone intentionally does that in front of me - I will pull their hands down and politely say - it is rude to cover your mouth when speaking. If you want to have a private conversation please do so when I am not around.

Apart from my deaf cousin and my sons, My mother can sign pretty well. She has the tendency of signing in English rather than ASL but nevertheless, I am able to understand her. My father can sign but he is not exceptional at it and is very rusty on it. My sister, brother and step-sister are at the beginner's level and they tend to rely on finger-spelling most of the time. Some of my cousins only signs a little but they also rely on finger-spelling too. Other than that, the rest of them are on a spoken dialogue.
I have a cousin who is thinking about learning sign language. He just found out that one of his hearing friends is going deaf and will likely be fully deaf by next year. So, they both thought about learning sign language so that they can communicate when he becomes deaf. He hasn't said anything about CI, but my cousin was excited about the thought of learning sign language. He told me about the situation, then he said... "Hey, when I come visit you for Christmas... we'll talk to each other in sign language and no one will know what we're saying! Hahaha!"

I'm Oral but I also can sign...haven't learned until 6th grade but my family refuse to learn and they only speak, so I just listen and lipread when they talk.

lol...they have to cover their mouths if they want to have private conversation if I'm in the room or in front of them, because I'm prolong to read their lips.
They do that? Seriously? That sucks.

My parents say they want to learn, but they never really took the time to learn. They did learn very little years ago when they volunteered to host parties for my deaf group from church. They were never committed to it.

Today, my mom decided to start learning again because of something that happened in our family... but she's a little slow. She does wish that she learned sign language a long time ago when I was a kid.

You know what you should do? When you have a deaf friend in the house, start signing and don't use your voice. Do it in front of your parents. Tell each other jokes and then laugh about it so that it makes your parents wonder what you're saying. If they ask, tell them to learn sign language. ;)

I speech read and sit there lost at family gatherings...

Same scenario with hubby and I. *sigh*

Nowadays, when someone intentionally does that in front of me - I will pull their hands down and politely say - it is rude to cover your mouth when speaking. If you want to have a private conversation please do so when I am not around.

My mother has a habit of covering her mouth when she doesn't want me to know what she's saying and I find that jolly rude! It's so obvious what they're doing .... we're not stupid! :pissed:

Same scenario with hubby and I. *sigh*

My mother has a habit of covering her mouth when she doesn't want me to know what she's saying and I find that jolly rude! It's so obvious what they're doing .... we're not stupid! :pissed:

My mother use to do that to me also. :roll:

My family is all oral. They know some sign but don't use it anymore. I speech read and sit there lost at family gatherings...

Yep, my brother and I sit there lost at family gatherings too so we end up talking with each other instead of anyone else in the family. That's why we have this very tight bond.

When my brother was living in AZ while I was here in MD, he avoided mini-family gatherings cuz he knew nobody would make the effort to include him in the conversations. He said "Nobody notices that I am there except for mom so why bother going?"

He has a good point.

My family is all hearing so all dialogue is spoken and I get to play 'Speechreading'.

And isnt it so much fun to play it, isnt it? All that guesswork is just so exciting!!!

And I hate it when people do that. My older cousins did that a lot when I was younger and they would pull pranks on me. The adults would do nothing about it. So I just quit hanging out with my family altogether.

I agree..it is rude for anyone to do that and we, deaf, people shouldnt be the exception for them to do it.

I would NOT tolerate people doing that to me and my family already knows it cuz I made a huge stink about it one time.

Do your hearing familys communicate in sign or fingerspelling with you because you're Ddeaf/Hhoh?

There are many hearing families who communicate by cueing English. Cueing is also great for supporting the receptive skill of speech reading, even when or if the "speaker" is not cueing. :)

There are many hearing families who communicate by cueing English. Cueing is also great for supporting the receptive skill of speech reading, even when or if the "speaker" is not cueing. :)

Ah, I see. Not perfect communicate, so better than nothing. Thanks for the explanation. :)

Last edited:
You know what you should do? When you have a deaf friend in the house, start signing and don't use your voice. Do it in front of your parents. Tell each other jokes and then laugh about it so that it makes your parents wonder what you're saying. If they ask, tell them to learn sign language. ;)

Vam,

I have already done that, I'm was always bringing over my deaf friends over to the house and we would use ASL all the time without any voice (I never use voice while signing) and they hated it ever part of it, they would stare at us, trying to firgure out what we were saying.

I snapped out of it and told them, "I don't stare at you two when you speak, do I? So please kindly not to stare at us!"

Ever since, they don't stare at me while I'm taking to them, instead, they glare at us....infact my parents are not really welcome to deaf people that doesn't speak by Oral...They always pressure my friends to get CI...I told them to fuck off and they did...

They told me that they want me to teach them ASL so they can understand what my friends and I are saying, making sure we're not saying bad things or blah blah blah and I told them to take a class because i"m not gonna waste my time with you guys to teach ASL if you guys aren't gonna treat my friends with respect or accept my deaf culture.

They never learned and they most likely will never. I haven't spoken or seen them for over two years.

My sister used to make me play this game with her when she would just spell the first letter of whatever she's saying to my questions.

Who's coming over? K who? Kelly? Karen? Kevin? you get the drift til I get the person right. I'd yell at her, if she went to all that trouble nodding, and shaking, let alone use her voice. at least tell me WHO! and move on. What a total waste of time when she did this........(sigh)

. . . You know what you should do? When you have a deaf friend in the house, start signing and don't use your voice. Do it in front of your parents. Tell each other jokes and then laugh about it so that it makes your parents wonder what you're saying. If they ask, tell them to learn sign language. ;)

Naw, VamPyroX, I think that would be too obvious. Instead, just tell them, when they inquire and pester you what the two of you were talking and laughing about wasn't important and not to worry about it. Keep it up and that'll really tick them off, as it should and possibly get the message.

My sister is about as good as I am with ASL and PSE, and my parents are learning SEE. It's been so long since my other sister and I have been in contact, she probably doesn't even know I'm deaf. She lives on the other side of the country. The rest of my family acts like I'm hearing, and forces me to lip-read in the most difficult of circumstances, like with their backs turned and running all over. I'd complain, but they have no respect for me as it is, so I say screw it, and stick with the people who care about me. I don't like to make people have to do special things for me, but they could take some initiative and at least be polite. Honestly, I'm extremely good at lip-reading, but I sincerely hate it. I'd rather sign or use Live Messenger :giggle:

we all sign in my family as everyone is Deaf, when I was married to a hearie his family used to exclude me, I lip read well but nobody seemed to want to include me in the conversation I guess they couldnt be bothered including my husband. He never attempted to learn sign or finger spelling. It was left to me to make myself understood.

Qualify "many". Every piece of evidence I have seen is that there are very few cuers in the U.S. One of the main reasons that it is ineffective for communication. Conversely, ASL is currently the 3rd most popular language being learned at the post secondary level.

Please explain how cueing can support receptive skills when the speaker is not cueing. That makes absolutley no sense. If the cues are not present, they cannot support receptive skills. One has to be able to receive them in order for them to be supportive, and if a speaker is not cueing, the deaf receiver has nothing to receive except spoken language.

Back