Another, "I didn't do it!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cain says he was 'falsely accused' of harassment - politics - Decision 2012 - msnbc.com

Surely to heavens this man understands that if the association settled, they did so on his behalf since he was named as the perpetrator. I doubt seriously a settlement would have occurred if there had not been some compelling evidence of at least one incident.

While I inclined to think he did it too, however, a settlement does not mean guilt, nor does a no contest plea. In the legal world (as in the real world), you can do everything right and still fail.

We have a justice system based on, "he who lies best wins" or "guilty till proven innocent", sadly.

While I inclined to think he did it too, however, a settlement does not mean guilt, nor does a no contest plea. In the legal world (as in the real world), you can do everything right and still fail.

We have a justice system based on, "he who lies best wins" or "guilty till proven innocent", sadly.

Being pronounced not guilty in a court of law doesn't mean a person isn't guilty, either. It just means there wasn't enough evidence to convict them.

Settlements rarely occur if there is not evidence available that an event occurred. That is why lawyers generally offer a monetary settlement on behalf of the accused. Not making a settlement means going to court. There is something that is going to come out at that trial that they don't want exposed. They are minimizing the risk of going to trial and loosing. It certainly doesn't look good for Cain's claims of innocence.

The one that got me was, "IF they paid a settlement, I didn't know anything about it." Come on. If they paid a settlement to get his ass out of a crack, you can bet they held it over his head for awhile. He got, at the very least, a reprimand for his behavior and a warning that it better never happen again.

I believe in the UK (or maybe just Scotland) they have a three verdicts. Guilty, not guilty and not proven. I think our judicial system would benefit if we adopted something similar.

This article is confusing.

Let's say that there really was a settlement. "Cain said he had never personally settled any sexual harassment suit, and that if the NRA had settled any claims, it had done so without his knowledge."

Is that even possible? I mean legal wise? If I harassed someone, can my company settle with that victim without my knowledge?

Cain says he was 'falsely accused' of harassment - politics - Decision 2012 - msnbc.com

Surely to heavens this man understands that if the association settled, they did so on his behalf since he was named as the perpetrator. I doubt seriously a settlement would have occurred if there had not been some compelling evidence of at least one incident.

I don't know about this one; but I have read quite a number of times about settlements that were made because they were cheaper that what it would cost to fight!

There goes his chances at becoming President.

This article is confusing.

Let's say that there really was a settlement. "Cain said he had never personally settled any sexual harassment suit, and that if the NRA had settled any claims, it had done so without his knowledge."

Is that even possible? I mean legal wise? If I harassed someone, can my company settle with that victim without my knowledge?

No. Cain was the employee that was accused, but the employer he was working for is also considered responsible for his behavior. That is why they were named in the lawsuit. So, even if he didn't personally pay the settlement, it was done on his behalf by his employer. But you can bet that Cain was involved in every step. It is really logical to believe that they would have paid out thousands of dollars because of him and not let him know how pissed they were? LOL

I don't know about this one; but I have read quite a number of times about settlements that were made because they were cheaper that what it would cost to fight!

That's true, but I doubt seriously that a sexual harrassment case like this would fall into that category. Most of the type you referred to would be cases of negligence for severe incapacity injury and such. Where millions would have to paid out if they were found guilty.

I just saw Cain admitting on the news that there was a settlement and he was aware of it. Then he started singing a hymn, and said his wife supports him 100%. Still denies sexually harrassing anyone.

:hmm: "I did not have sex with that woman!":laugh2: Seems like it doesn't have much to do with whether someone is a Republican or a Democrat, huh?

The part the really looks bad it Cain said there was no money given in a settlement then he came back there was a little money given'! It would had looked a lot better if he was honest the first time! I am not surprised that he lied! I was wondering how long it would take for someone to come out with something like this!

Not really , didn't Bill Clinton get elected after his affair in the 'Oral' Office ?
That affair occurred during his second administration, but his approval ratings did go up.

We'll see how this plays out. A lot of the information is vague at this point. I think there's more to come out and it could go either way. It will be entertaining to watch those who supported Clinton attack him no matter what and see those who attacked Clinton support Cain no matter what. That's the stupefying nature of politics.

My opinion: Character matters, but we know too little at this point to conclude whether he did this or not.

That affair occurred during his second administration, but his approval ratings did go up.

We'll see how this plays out. A lot of the information is vague at this point. I think there's more to come out and it could go either way. It will be entertaining to watch those who supported Clinton attack him no matter what and see those who attacked Clinton support Cain no matter what. That's the stupefying nature of politics.

My opinion: Character matters, but we know too little at this point to conclude whether he did this or not.

huh?

I understand the lying thing. That's comparable, but I really hope you aren't saying...

affair = sexual harassment?

huh?

I understand the lying thing. That's comparable, but I really hope you aren't saying...

No, of course not, but Clinton was also accused of sexual harassment.

huh?

Yeah, it was the lying about something connected to sex that I found interesting. Personally, I find that very telling in regard to character.

No, of course not, but Clinton was also accused of sexual harassment.

OH! That!

Well, don't really have much to say to that, nor to this one pertaining to Cain.

Still a bit scared of Cain though. :)

Stick a fork in him. He's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back