Anime to see...?

Steel said:
Hmmm this one sounds interesting...well kinda.

www.animenation.com

Question:

Do you think American people are foolish for devoting a lot of their life to anime? Simply, I want to know if you agree to American anime fans, or disagree to American anime fans. I sometimes think that Japanese people dislike American anime fans because we are taking their tradition. Do you think that's true?
Answer:

Speaking as an American that has devoted a lot of his life to anime, I don't think my chosen hobby is foolish at all. In fact, I think that my addiction to anime has cultivated within me a respect for cultural diversity, an appreciation for art, and elevated my critical and rational analytical skills. I'm a firm believer that everyone needs some sort of hobby or interest, and I think there are plenty of hobbies with fewer positive qualities than an interest in Japanese animation. Personally, I am generally only offended by people who call themselves anime fans just to pose a social status. Such "fans" aren't really aficionados of Japanese animation; they're only trend chasers riding on the coattails of the latest hot ticket. But I do have to respect anyone that genuinely loves the art form of Japanese comics and animation. Furthermore, I respect people who have the motivation and determination to set goals for themselves and strive toward creating their own art. On the other hand, as an extension of my appreciation for Japanese art, I'm rather disappointed by Western artists that perceive only the most superficial aspects of manga and anime and fail to comprehend that it's the unique Japanese culture and artistic perspective behind anime that makes anime what it is. Speed lines and big eyes, cat girls and guns, unusual hair colors and monochrome comics don't constitute real manga and anime to me. These characteristics reflect only a pale imitation of manga and anime based on a lack of understanding and appreciation of the true culture of manga and anime.

But I digress. Simply put, I do vigorously approve of American anime fans, and I do recommend anime as something worth devoting one's life and energy to. What I do not approve of is Americans who see anime as only a means to an ends. Editing and altering anime to make it more profitable in America; creating "anime style" works that bear only a superficial resemblance to Japanese art; and claiming "otaku" status just to seem trendy are all signs of people who fundamentally don't understand or appreciate the artistic and creative beauty of anime and manga.

Regarding the usurpation of Japanese animation by Americans, I don't believe that this is the case. I've been to Tokyo four times since becoming an obsessive anime fan. I've also met many professional anime and manga artists. In my experience, I think that Japanese fans are just as willing as anyone to embrace others who share their appreciation and respect for anime. During the hours I've spent in Japanese anime stores including Mandarake, K Books, Melon Books, Animate, and Gamers, I've never been treated coldly or rudely, I think because it's clear that my adoration for anime is equal to that of Japanese fans. We are brothers in arms. Likewise, Japanese professionals that attend American anime conventions frequently seem awed that so many American fans appreciate their works. It's hard to imagine an artist being angered or outraged that fans enjoy his or her art, regardless of what language the fans speak or where they originate from. I suspect that Japanese fans who may seem outraged or resentful of a foreign usurpation of a traditional Japanese hobby are actually only angered by foreigners that latch on to the superficial and overt aspects of Japanese culture without trying to understand or appreciate any of its depth or meaning or culture.
I don't think that anyone is a fool for liking and/or watching anime. I consider anime a kind of art that I appreciate.

I appreciate anime for the various genres it covers. Humour, adventure, life and sci fi. I like how it's themed for mature audiences as well so it's not kiddy.

It's cool because they can do SO much more with animation, than live action shows. For example, Angelic Layer (which is about a girl who has an Battle Angel doll and she can use her mind to move the girl on a Layer to fight), it would be so hard to make the doll move and make it as flexible as it is in a live action show.

Wow, theres a lot of movies that I havent watched in anime.. I only saw a few when I was younger with my cousin who was a big time anime fan but hes at college now.. I miss him... I do remember watching 3x3 thats a good movie.. I do remember watching a movie which a girl was kidnapped and the guy was a cop and he rescued her.. Man im terrible with names of movies.. Sorry guys.. I did see Kikis Delivery Service, Pokemon the Movie, and Spirited Away.. I keep looking for A Castle in the Sky but I cant find that thing anywhere! Its driving me nuts.. Oh well.. Anyway a few years ago I was surfing the internet and i found this website but its in a different language.. I didnt even bother translating it bc i dont have a language pack thing for my computer so screw it.. :fu: Anyway if you look under the original artwork that she made.. Gosh they are breathtaking anime! You guys have to check it out!
http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~urara/index1.html
Enjoy! ;)

awesome website...

I even admire the desktops there too

DeafNYCPlayer72 said:
Newtype Magazine releases raw (no subtitled) anime demo disc.

You may watch either All Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku Dash (green hair Nuku) or All Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku TV (purple hair Nuku). I have All Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku OVAs. I really love it.

Oh yeah... RahXephon demo does not have subtitled. But you need to get it under ADV Films (it has subtitled).

More Anime series:

Video Girl Ai
DNA^2
Full Metal Panic
Touch
Yawara!
Wedding Peach
Noir
Happy Lesson
Kanon
Flame of Recca
Mermaid Saga (Mermaid Forest and Scar)
One Pound Gospel
Rave the Groove Adventures
One Piece
Boys over Flowers (Hana Yori Dango)
His and Her Circumstances (Kare Kano)
Pita-Dita (sp)
DiGi Carat
Saber Marionettes
... ^_^';;;

Hello DeafNYCPlayer72 that ur favorite to watch anime right?? mine too

I have Full Metal Panic part 5 and 6 also have Hack//Sign ver.05 of Dvd too but i was plan buy from 1 and 4 of Hack//Sign someday. I noticed you put lots new list of anime movie i never see this one before i bet it's look like good one

undecisivegurl said:
Wow, theres a lot of movies that I havent watched in anime.. I only saw a few when I was younger with my cousin who was a big time anime fan but hes at college now.. I miss him... I do remember watching 3x3 thats a good movie.. I do remember watching a movie which a girl was kidnapped and the guy was a cop and he rescued her.. Man im terrible with names of movies.. Sorry guys.. I did see Kikis Delivery Service, Pokemon the Movie, and Spirited Away.. I keep looking for A Castle in the Sky but I cant find that thing anywhere! Its driving me nuts.. Oh well.. Anyway a few years ago I was surfing the internet and i found this website but its in a different language.. I didnt even bother translating it bc i dont have a language pack thing for my computer so screw it.. :fu: Anyway if you look under the original artwork that she made.. Gosh they are breathtaking anime! You guys have to check it out!
http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~urara/index1.html
Enjoy! ;)

That's Castle Cagistro (girl was kidnapped and the guy was a thief).

Castle in the Sky DVD is releasing limited qualities.

Oh yeah... you did show this link. I do realized the artwork. It is releasing manga only, not Anime. That's Five Star Stories and others (I can't realized Japanese name). Five Star Stories anime and manga are looking different designs.

Excuse me for saying it wrong. Im no anime/manga expert.. I just like the beauty of it and I dont really know much bc i just got into it two years ago.. But when i was younger i just watch movies with my cuz but i wasnt really into anime like i am now.. YES THATS the movie Castle Cagistro! I totally remember now!!! YAY! Hee hee!

^_^''

That's ok.

Manga and anime drawings are different. Five Star Stories is Shoujo Anime and Manga (girl's adventure)

The link is Shoujo manga. I realized its artworks. Anyway...

If you want to look for any shoujo anime/ manga artworks.

Clamp
http://www.duklyon-cafe.org/

I will look more shoujo artists: Naoki (Sailor Moon, Miss Chocolate), Megumi (St. Tail, Cyber Idol Mink), and others.

manga drawings usually look cooler than anime, if you ask me

Well...

Depend what anime looks better than manga. Or manga is better than anime.

Marmalade Boy anime > Marmalade Boy manga
Kodomo no Omocha anime > Kodacha manga (it is released under Tokyopop)
His and Her Circumstances anime < Kare Kano Manga (it is released under Tokyopop)

Oooh bishies..... all those sparkly things *blinded* :cool: I'm a fan of a webcomic called Strange Candy, which is a parody of mangas in general.. really funny. http://strangecandy.keenspace.com

I also thought of another anime I saw recently... Castle in the Glass? Or Castle Beyond the Glass?

Ninja Scroll..

Last edited:
Hmm, finished watching Love Hina, I recommend this series to anyone who's into comedy. I think some anime is better than the manga, although I haven't read very much. I like it better if manga is in colour. It looks cooler!

I have "love hina" mangas, but never seen those anime but would definetly love to when I have the time to do so :)

Can an anime be computer graphics, or must it be cartoon?
Answer:

I think the determination of whether or not full CG can be considered "anime" is something that remains to be decided, although Japan's animation industry seems to believe that the answer is yes. There have been quite a number of full CG rendered animation titles released in Japan including Galerians: Rion, A.Li.Ce, Malice Doll, Cubix, Blue Remains, Archetypes Forces, and the upcoming Aqua Kids TV series. Square Enix is working on the Final Fantasy: Advent Children movie but has not promoted it as "anime." In Japan, titles like A.Li.Ce, Blue Remains and Archetypes Forces are not called "anime." They are referred to as "full CG animation." However, Japanese trailers for the full CG Appleseed movie promote the film as Japan's first full computer animated "anime."

But the Japanese claim that the Appleseed movie is the world's first CG anime may be questioned considering that Japanese society seems to have a double standard for what exactly constitutes "anime." At times, in Japan the word "anime" refers exclusively to Japanese animation, and in other cases the word "anime" is used in Japan to refer to animation of any type, style and origin.

So I can't really answer this question yet because I'm not entirely sure that this question has an answer yet. No full CG animation production that I'm aware of, prior to the new Appleseed movie, has been officially classified as "anime" in Japan. That would make the classification of the Appleseed movie as the "first CG anime" rather arbitrary and more than a little arguable, which suggests that the label of Appleseed as the world's first "CG anime" is nothing more than a marketing tag-line created to capitalize on the popularity of "anime."

But in another sense, if we define "anime" as merely Japanese animation, then Japanese produced full computer rendered animation would absolutely constitute "anime." It's simply not a traditional type or appearance of anime that we're used to.

Question:

Why did anime become so popular in Japan?
Answer:

What I offer here is my own amateur theory founded on only my own speculation, not on any degree of researched documentation. I suspect that anime and manga are popular in Japan because they are rooted in a centuries old tradition of appreciation for visual art. During the formative and influential period of Japan's feudal era, value was placed on the creation and appreciation of art and literature over science. Weapons and arms, clothing, architecture and the creative arts all displayed a marked emphasis on visual and artistic appeal. In the creative arts, samurai spent their free time writing poetry to master their emotions. Woodblock artists advanced the famous ukiyo-e art form that we now associate with traditional Japanese art. Noh and Kabuki stage performances became art. Even writing itself, caligraphy, became a specialized art form. The development of Japan's culture seems to have branched opposite of the West's, which made tremendous advances in science and industry rather than the arts.

Much has been made of the influence of WWII on the necessity of manga as a replacement for demolished movie theaters, but I think this ignores prior century's worth of development and appreciation of Japanese drawn art. While this is likely a stretch, I think there may be some degree of truth in the development of anime from ancient Japanese bunraku (puppet) theater and the more modern "kamishibai" method of storytelling. In both culturally ingrained forms of literature, fictional, "drawn" characters (either puppets or literal colored illustrations) tell a story to an audience. Anime can be said to be the technically advanced evolution of these two older forms of Japanese art.

So I think manga and anime have become so accepted and popular in Japan because they are simply the latest evolution of the type of creative art that has been popular, and culturally treasured in Japan for virtually as long as Japanese culture itself has existed.

Question:

I was wondering, in anime it seems they make American girls have huge breats, while Japanese girls have medium sized. Is there a reason behind this?
Answer:

It's generally a reflection of reality. Most Asian women genetically have small or medium sized breasts. There are exceptions, but generally Asian women aren't thought of as having large chests. Western, and especially American women tend to cover a broader range of bra sizes than Asian women. So Japanese culture, and especially anime, frequently tend to play up the familiar joke that "everything is bigger in America." In fact, the stereotype is even put in so many words in the fourth episode of the Azumanga Daioh anime series when Kasuga "Osaka" Ayumu categorizes Sakaki's large chest as "American" and Tomo's small breasts as "Japanese." The visual difference in breast size between Japanese girls and foreign girls in anime is frequently just a simple, lighthearted way of immediately distinguishing which character or characters are supposed to be foreigners

:D

What about "yellow fever?" Was reading manga and then that term came up in it... saw the asian girl character actually panic at the mention of it.

2D animes, CG animes, mangas.... i think it's fine. What's the problem?

Back