Analog TVs will cut off by 2009.

Simpson, South Park , King of the Hill and Family guy can be support ASTC and NTSC but they does not have Widescreen format via HDTV they uses 480i & p and 720p and 4:3 aspect ratio

SDTV= 480i
EDTV= 480p
HDTV= 720p, 1080i
full HDTV 1080p

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have HDTV my home.... WFLX-DT FOX 29.1 WEST PALM BEACH, FLORIDA

South Park isn't part of them because of not on broadcast and South Park is only offers via cable, IPTV or satellite tv.

I had found that analog will shut down for broadcast channels but cable and others are unaffected, also that's right about The Simspons support both of NTSC and ATSC, same goes to rest of shows that come via over the air.

I made mistake about 2007-2008 of The Simspons is final season and they will continue to run this shows in long years after NTSC goes shut down and all newer shows will format in ASTC only, I hope that would support widescreen and HD on near future season.

South Park isn't part of them because of not on broadcast and South Park is only offers via cable, IPTV or satellite tv.

I had found that analog will shut down for broadcast channels but cable and others are unaffected, also that's right about The Simspons support both of NTSC and ATSC, same goes to rest of shows that come via over the air.

I made mistake about 2007-2008 of The Simspons is final season and they will continue to run this shows in long years after NTSC goes shut down and all newer shows will format in ASTC only, I hope that would support widescreen and HD on near future season.

They will shut down the analog signal via antenna on Feb 17th 2009 (next year). also Analog cable will remain in service til between Feb 17 2010 or 2012 or until the cable decide to cease (no longer to carry) analog channels and they will upgrade all-digital cable signal.. analog TV owner will get a converter box to Digital to get convert to Analog signal to their TV set. Right now, the cable company have serves analog and digital signal over the cable
I hope that the widescreen format will appears for new season . I would like to see pure HDTV shows. DBS Satellite TV (DirecTV or DishNet) will stay as long you use an analog tv set.... the DBS satellite converter box has fully digital signals but it already convert to analog TV signal to hook up TV sets.

Last edited:
How would we know whether our televisions are analog or digital?

new lately television with ATSC usually come with widescreen (16:9) support and digital CC. If you see regular bore CC and no 16:9 support, that's NTSC.

They will shut down the analog signal via antenna on Feb 17th 2009 (next year). also Analog cable will remain in service til between Feb 17 2010 or 2012 or until the cable decide to cease (no longer to carry) analog channels and they will upgrade all-digital cable signal.. analog TV owner will get a converter box to Digital to get convert to Analog signal to their TV set. Right now, the cable company have serves analog and digital signal over the cable
I hope that the widescreen format will appears for new season . I would like to see pure HDTV shows. DBS Satellite TV (DirecTV or DishNet) will stay as long you use an analog tv set.... the DBS satellite converter box has fully digital signals but it already convert to analog TV signal to hook up TV sets.

Where's source about analog cable will turn off?

new lately television with ATSC usually come with widescreen (16:9) support and digital CC. If you see regular bore CC and no 16:9 support, that's NTSC.

Some ATSC based tv are 4:3.

My TV that I use for my VP is an analog - will that be affected as well?

the VP100 and VP200 or VCR or analog equipment does not affect after 2009. but if you want watch TV over the air you have to buy digital converter box anytime but the analog signal will be sign off after Feb 17,2009 . if you subscribe to the cable TV without converter box until 2012 or until they decide to shut off analog signal on the cable. all-digital package you have to require a digital cable converter to convert to analog signal to your current analog TV. If you subscribe to the DBS Satellite like as DirecTV or Dish Network, the satellite receiver will use to old analog TV because the receiver did already convert from digital to Analog until TV dies. If you want buy New HDTV then you have to buy new Satellite HDTV receiver. if you subscribe to the HDTV signal over the cable you have to rent HDTV set top converter to view encypted HDTV signal or premium channels.

No, it will not affect VP itself. VP itself already analog, and will never convert to Digital, so it will always work with analog TV even after the turn off of analog signals. Those analog signals that is being cut off got nothing to do with VP, and no part of VP conversations goes to air, right? They all go though Internet. Guess what? Internet is digital and VP still works!

Yup, if you want use over the air shows but you
can get digital converter box.

No, it will not affect VP itself. VP itself already analog, and will never convert to Digital, so it will always work with analog TV even after the turn off of analog signals. Those analog signals that is being cut off got nothing to do with VP, and no part of VP conversations goes to air, right? They all go though Internet. Guess what? Internet is digital and VP still works!

I don't means about VP.

I was means about if they want this tv to watch over the air shows, when in case if other tv isn't working.

I know VP has nothing with NTSC or ATSC.

the biggest concern when Analog TV is turn off by Feb 2009. There are major problem show up in many certain area such as low level, between hills or whatever, cannot get the full function on basic channels: NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC and CW. Either of channels are miss. Not only CC function but the voice too. These tower need to tune up better to make better receive. Maybe bad antenna, but it's unfortunately, most apartment, condo or rent house, depend on their HOA policy will allow or not allow to have big n' better antenna on roof or out of patio.

I have make several research on antennweb.org to find where I could point. Hope it work well with my power-up antenna. Probably, I would want to get new n' better antenna. eh..

Am I the only one who thinks of George Orwell's book 1984 whenever the news talk about this issue?

*eeery music in background*

That George Orwell. He was well ahead of his time.

Am I the only one who thinks of George Orwell's book 1984 whenever the news talk about this issue?

*eeery music in background*

That George Orwell. He was well ahead of his time.

Why are you talking about that?

i saw on tv many times and will off of analog in 2009 and i will miss that cables what i do!

Just remain, it's 7 month to left until analog shutdown.

If you currently own analog TV and need using over the air then get converter box by Feb 17, 2009, and you can apply for coupons to buy it for discount, or you can subscribe on analog cable until 2012 or subscribe on digital cable for extra channels.
https://www.dtv2009.gov/

For me, I don't need it, I already own HDTV with digital tuner and using Directv.

Back