Amish´s history

Hubby, I and our good friend Kootchie went to St Jacob's during his visit here. We know we were not supposed to take pictures of the Mennonites.

Hubby was able to do several snapshots with his slr long range.

I just love those two the most.

n733365419_1954345_6.jpg

n733365419_1954347_559.jpg

wow... wonderful pictures...

Mennonites don't like tourists to take pictures of them... ? Just wondering... Why?

There are a lot of Amish Communities around here in Kentucky and in the neighboring states. I'm sure it's everywhere else too as well. :)

Anyway, From time to time, I'd see a buggy with an amish family riding on it. Whenever I see it, It makes me smile knowing that they are not afraid to be who they are and they are proud to be who they are for.

There is an amish restaurant that is nearby my father's in Indiana. Some of the time, we would go there to eat and O-M-G, Their food is to die for!! I'm serious, They make every thing from scratch and it is just too perfect to fill up your tummy. Whenever I go there, I always buy their apple butter. Yum! :)

wow, positive post...

Amish restaurant... :shock: wow, I would LOVVVEEEEe to try it....

The Amish in America and Canada are actually decendants of Old Tradition Germans. I was taught this by my German grandmother.

wow, I didn't know that you have a German Grandmother... I thought your part of family come from jewish...?

Yes, I notice from many description about Amish almost similar as German old Tradition... I would like to see Amish's history in real life then I will know more...

A lot of German prefer to do with homemade... I am one of them because I learn most from my MIL.

Mennonites don't like tourists to take pictures of them... ? Just wondering... Why?

It is their culture, their way of life as they live with very simple things. They prefer people respect them by not intruding on their way of life.

I can understand that. Very recently, my parents went to a funeral of their good Deaf friend which was a Mennonite as well. He chose to be buried with his family in St. Jacobs, he had a full Mennonite service which meant he was to be buried in his Mennonite suit.

The service was very humble and the coffin was really humble as well. The reception was tea and cookies/biscuits. Really simple BUT it made my parents realise they do come from a really materialistic background.

This is why my husband and I love to make our "almost" weekly and quite faithful ritual to St Jacobs by taking 3 city buses all because of the ambiance of the St Jacob's Farmer Market.

The winter time at the Market is beautiful! :) I must get my Christmas cookies from the Mennonites otherwise my 4 weeks of Christmas is ruined!! People have Advent, I have Gracie's! :lol:

The cookies are glorious! Hubby and I fight over the cookies, I kid you not! :| We actually bicker over who ate the last piece of cookie! We get our own dozen boxes and they are only $5.00 per dozen and they are yummy-o!

Safe to say hubby and I went through our own box in a night! Yes, we bought two boxes each and they did not last a weekend! :giggle: Here I come Gracie's.. this weekend I'm bringing my gigantic tin can and I plan to stock up on $25 dollars of cookies!!

:lol: I envy ya for already ate their food! LOL
I've never tried to taste one single bit to know what their food taste is like. You are very fortunate! :P

wow, positive post...

Amish restaurant... :shock: wow, I would LOVVVEEEEe to try it....

Aw, I'm sure some day you both will have the chance to sample their foods. Most of their foods are hearty. If you two like the art of quilts, I'm telling you, They make some really beautiful quilts. They make the quilts with their bare hands and most of the time it sells at an expensive price. At one time, I saw a double wedding quilt that was on display and I wanted to get it. So, I checked to see how much it was. It was worth around $600! :shock: So, Of course I didn't get a chance to purchase the quilt because it was way above my price range, ha. Although, I did get to enjoy looking at their artworks as well. :)

They are also friendly people but they usually are sometime self reserved which is understandable because a lot of people view them as a 'different' group.

They make wonderful, high quality, and utilitarian furniture, too! If I recall correctly, the type of furniture they make is called Shaker.

They make wonderful, high quality, and utilitarian furniture, too! If I recall correctly, the type of furniture they make is called Shaker.
Umm, I believe it was the Shaker community who were renowned for their style furniture. But it's possible that the Amish make that style also. :)

Umm, I believe it was the Shaker community who were renowned for their style furniture. But it's possible that the Amish make that style also. :)

Yeah, Reba, I thought about that after I hit the "Send" button.....if the Amish make something different, it is more apt to be more "rustic", no?

It is their culture, their way of life as they live with very simple things. They prefer people respect them by not intruding on their way of life.

Right, they like their privacy and they're very private people who avoid as much contact with the strangers from the outside world. They also don't like it when people stare at them either.

Yeah, Reba, I thought about that after I hit the "Send" button.....if the Amish make something different, it is more apt to be more "rustic", no?
I think the Amish woodworking is fine handcrafting. It probably could be done in any style, and the styles they use for commercial products might not be the same styles they use at home.

But the specific "Shaker" style was created by the Shaker religious community.

Shaker Workshops » Who are the Shakers?

Like the Amish thread, maybe we should have a Shaker thread! :P

wow, I didn't know that you have a German Grandmother... I thought your part of family come from jewish...?

Yes, I notice from many description about Amish almost similar as German old Tradition... I would like to see Amish's history in real life then I will know more...

A lot of German prefer to do with homemade... I am one of them because I learn most from my MIL.

My mother was Jewish and African American. My father was German and Irish. His mother was German, so that is how I have a German grandmother. His father was Irish. They met when they both imigrated to America.

It is a religious belief. They believe that capturing the image of the person on film captures the soul.

It is a religious belief. They believe that capturing the image of the person on film captures the soul.
Religious belief, yes.

"For many Amish-Mennonites, photos are a symbol of self-admiration and pride, contrary to their beliefs and way of life. Taking a picture is tantamount to creating a graven image — a sin in their faith."
firstamendmentcenter.org: news

They don't believe "that capturing the image of the person on film captures the soul." You must be thinking of some other group.

Back