Amish´s history

Not only that one year, once they made decision to leave amish life style, they will never see their family again ever. truly sad, I can not image never see my children again.

Yes I´m agree... I can´t image for not want to see my children rest of my life... :cold: because I born and raise them and enjoy their experiences... :cold:

I won at bid to get DVD Amish "Witness" Harrison Ford last week. We watched movie yesterday... Very good movie... I´m fanastic about this movie and would love to meet Amish in real life.

I won at bid to get DVD Amish "Witness" Harrison Ford last week. We watched movie yesterday... Very good movie... I´m fanastic about this movie and would love to meet Amish in real life.
Wow, I have watched this show on TV couple of time in past and should have taped it and send it to u. But good thing u get to watch it. :)

oh i never heard that. thanks for information! i will watch movie this weekend.

Yes, These on ladies head called Bonnett. My grandmaw and pawpaw is Mennonite.. They are very very sweet and christian people.. I have found out when i was 13 years old my great-grandpaw are Amishes and great-grandmaw is mennonites. I know that is very odd. I am still working on the family tree's on mine families where they are from and very interseting my mama's great-grandfather is "Red Eagle" Indian.
If you happen see them the Amishes on buggy while they are on the road please don't stare or taken any pictures of them... they don't like this at all they rather have privacy. Sometimes they passed by you can look at them behind i think this part of respect to them.

last summer, I met the amish families at the zoo and we were chatting and they are very sweet and mentioned knew her friend is deaf. I asked how they get here and it is very interesting, they buggy to bigger town to taxi them to the zoo. Here in Ohio has lot of Amishes. And my ex wife was roommate with a mennonite deaf lady at college and they were very good friends and she now lives in Pennsylvania. Was from Iowa. And moved to Penn. During the shooting and wonder if her kids were affected and they aren't.

Umm.. there's another movie you can look for, Called For Richer or Poorer with Tim Allen and Kristie Alley... (not sure if that's the exact title :( )

It showcasts amish way of life.. very good movie..

Just thought I'd put it out there :)

Amish people

I spent many years living near Amish in Maryland and can tell you that these are fine people. A lot of what has been posted here is true about them. What is different is that the Amish you see at markets, or in roadside stands are not the true Amish. These sell their wares to the "English" and have learned to bend their rules to get along in the outside world.True Old Order Amish will not mingle with English at markets or anywhere else.
As for traveling by train or other means, the Amish of Ohio and Pennsylvania travel to Maryland by train or vans, much like small school buses. These vehicles are owned by English or Mennonite, who drive the people where they need to go for money, like anyone buying a bus ticket. For them to travel from state to state in their buggies would not be practical. In modern times, some families are allowed to have a phone to call for help for sick or old people but the phone must be in a shed away from the main house. They will buy eyeglasses from stores like Pearle Vision or Lenscrafters. They have learned to by power invertors to run certain things using car batteries. Some have refridgerators and freezers to keep food cold and safe from spoiling They have changed from their original ways to get along with the outside world, much the same as the deaf have changed. You now have computers and videophones, which are replcing the older TTY. My stepdaughter carries a cell phone to text message her friends and to call us for help if she needs it.
whether it is deafies or hearies or Amish or different races of people, we all have to bend a little as we make progress....

Can we visit Amish place when I'm in America this July if it's not long way from your area?

You know Amish is very skilling woodmaking?. I went their store and buy some furnitures. I love there. Myself woodmaking I have share story with Amish. It was very interesting for method skill woodmaking. All furnitures look real good job....perfect job. Still several time visit there.

Truly an interesting topic, isn't it? Amish and Mennonites are NOT cults. They are Christians just like you and I but with huge differences: They do not believe in materialism like you and I do today. They broke off from the rest of the world back in 1830s. That is the decade both religions believe to maintain. However, Mennonites has broken off some time ago. They tend to accept some materialism that I call it, necessities. Like you have to have a car today to go to work. No car? You can not get a job. That is the way modern world works nowdays.

Car, phone, and limited electrical appliances are acceptable by the Mennonites. Amish, on the other hand, totally rejected materialism. I recalled over 20 years ago from someone telling me that there is an emphesis biblical verse both Amish and Mennonites believe in that they should reject materialism and idolism. For idols, clearly stated from the First Two Commandments: Exodus 20:1 and 2 Thou shalt not make any graven image (idol) clearly stated to the Amish in their interpretation (my opinon of what they think) that means no technical stuff such as computers, TV, etc. They think TV, computers, cars, etc are idols. Why? Let me ask you this question, ok? Are you pretty much addicted to TV and computers these days? If not, pretty much what you are doing by watching TV or be on the computer for hours compared to reading the bible daily?

That is what I believe an Amish and a Mennonite would say to you if they are allowed to speak with you. Again, OPINON of mine.

I have seen a mennonite every blue moon around Upstate NY. Seen them at Greyhound Bus stations, seen their products made for the outsiders! Yes! Even Amish makes products to sell! Specially Recreational Vehicles and boats. Check online about Starcraft company. I have a few brochures stated that it was built by Amish and/or Mennonites.

I have seen Amish in Lancaster one Summer back in mid-90s when I was at a Deaf Singles Camp (no longer exists, sorry singles!) near Lancaster and we singles went into town to check it out. I was in awe seeing this HUGE body of a teenager (built like a body builder and good looking enough for women to swoon.) standing on a plow just hanging onto the straps of 3 or 4 large bulls at a fairly high speed by the corner near the road I drove by. A deaf man who was riding with me gasped. I really gasped hard! I mean HUUUUUGE!

I read someone's post eariler about deafness in a family. Well, that is common because my mother spoke with a mennonite woman who makes quilts for their community and the English. Well, the woman told my mom about disabilities are common in the Amish and Mennonites because there are not enough of their kind spread around. They all are practically relatives and they have no way to marry someone really different with different DNA. You see, if you marry your cousin or even your own sibilings, you are more likely to have children with disabilities or deform because of DNA markups.

If you marry someone unknown and not related to you at all, your children are more likely be fine than marrying someone closely related to you. It is really sad about Amish and Mennonites because of that matter. They do not have much choice to pick someone so different.

When I was on a mission trip to CentroAmerica. We were in Belize visiting a Deaf school. Very poor. No toilets, just outhouses, etc. We found out that it was run by a guy who was from Texas with American name but he is a Mennonite. Born into a Mennonite family. Well, the school is set near a Mennonite Community. They were Americans moved down there for better life. Yup, I visited their church. Girls sit on one side, boys the other. We--the mission group of 7 had to dress closely to their lifestyle. No wonder the teenage girls were after this one big guy on our team who is young and handsome. I really gasped at their lifestyle. Sadly, I can even see their yellow teeth!! Yuck! If you seen "Back to the Future, Pt III" when Marty and Doc are in 1885, the old timers had yellow teeth. That is correct! That is what they are!

Mennonites and perhaps Amish have very similar beliefs to the Baptists. Ok, look at the scale. Left side is materialism and right side is non-materialism. Amish is on the right side, Mennonites in the middle, and the Baptists on the left side. I learned that the Baptists do work with Mennonites sometimes. You can even see that Anabaptists is the name devorted from.

When I was down there in Belize, I thought I was in America. They brought German American lifestyle in Belize! There are Deaf Mennonites down there. Pretty big number of them there.

On a side note before closing this post, Bill Rice Ranch works with both Baptists and the Mennonites. That is why you can see at that camp in TN has a very few Mennonites attending along with Baptists. All Deaf.

My advise, go to Ohio and PA to see the Amish and Mennonites, not Bill Rice Ranch even you are a Christian. They are too emphesizing on you being born again, not spiritual growth.

Yes I agree with you.

I have seen many farmer from old Tradition who acts like Amish, help each other with lands and build the house by their own. They help each other ... budget as well.

I heard about Amish food... I would love to try it one day.

The Amish in America and Canada are actually decendants of Old Tradition Germans. I was taught this by my German grandmother.

Can we visit Amish place when I'm in America this July if it's not long way from your area?

in cleveland, dont know where that will be, but here in toledo, there are some amishes near here. All summer long having Amish of all kinds, like jellys, quilts, furnitures and etc and place to stay also, not to far from here, never been there, but wanna go there.

Answers to the 320 statements: All 320 are TRUE.

If you have any questions concerning other practices of the Old Order Amish, the New Order Amish, the various Mennonite groups, the German Baptist Brethren (Dunkers), the River Brethren, the Old Order German Baptists, and other plain-people groups, please feel free to contact me, and I will be happy to answer your questions and, if I get enough of the same questions, I will write an information sheet and
include it on the website. Thank you.

About the Amish

Whoa ! *rubbin' my eyes* That was loooong one. :lol: Thanks for sharin' it about Amish. I've never met one Amish in my entire life before. It would be nice to meet them. :)

It´s worth to learn about their life. Interesting list... :eek3:

Yep, it is very interestin' to learn about their life as Amish. They are very hard workers.

Hubby, I and our good friend Kootchie went to St Jacob's during his visit here. We know we were not supposed to take pictures of the Mennonites.

Hubby was able to do several snapshots with his slr long range.

I just love those two the most.

n733365419_1954345_6.jpg

n733365419_1954347_559.jpg

There are a lot of Amish Communities around here in Kentucky and in the neighboring states. I'm sure it's everywhere else too as well. :)

Anyway, From time to time, I'd see a buggy with an amish family riding on it. Whenever I see it, It makes me smile knowing that they are not afraid to be who they are and they are proud to be who they are for.

There is an amish restaurant that is nearby my father's in Indiana. Some of the time, we would go there to eat and O-M-G, Their food is to die for!! I'm serious, They make every thing from scratch and it is just too perfect to fill up your tummy. Whenever I go there, I always buy their apple butter. Yum! :)

There are a lot of Amish Communities around here in Kentucky and in the neighboring states. I'm sure it's everywhere else too as well. :)

Anyway, From time to time, I'd see a buggy with an amish family riding on it. Whenever I see it, It makes me smile knowing that they are not afraid to be who they are and they are proud to be who they are for.

There is an amish restaurant that is nearby my father's in Indiana. Some of the time, we would go there to eat and O-M-G, Their food is to die for!! I'm serious, They make every thing from scratch and it is just too perfect to fill up your tummy. Whenever I go there, I always buy their apple butter. Yum! :)

:lol: I envy ya for already ate their food! LOL
I've never tried to taste one single bit to know what their food taste is like. You are very fortunate! :P

Whoa ! *rubbin' my eyes* That was loooong one. Thanks for sharin' it about Amish. I've never met one Amish in my entire life before. It would be nice to meet them.

It´s worth to learn about their life. Interesting list...

Yep, it is very interestin' to learn about their life as Amish. They are very hard workers.

wow, interesting... you never met one Amish in your life when you born and raise in USA... I think you SHOULD... You should ask your boyfriend to go somewhere with you for the weekends... then you can visit their culture and buy something from there... I WOULD love to meet and learn about them one day when I visit USA... I did ask ADer to show me where Amish lives but it's long way where ADers live... and our time is too short to visit Amish... We will visit next time...

Back