Americans still texting while driving despite bans

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can you say that adding more laws won't solve anything? If one life is saved, isn't that enough?

Like I said, you can give a driver all the training in the world, but education won't prevent someone from acting stupid behind the wheel -- laws will.
law doesn't prevent people from from breaking laws to begin with..

the texting and cell phone laws only help police charge the offender after the accident.

It really doesn't matter what the intent of a law is as long as it does what it's supposed to (i.e. promote the greater safety of citizens).

bold idea but poor execution. This law has been around for quite some while. Result? NADA. None of my friends have been charged with it.... except Seat Belt Law. But hey - at least it's just something for officer to charge them with........ if they can prove it.

How can you say that adding more laws won't solve anything? If one life is saved, isn't that enough?

Like I said, you can give a driver all the training in the world, but education won't prevent someone from acting stupid behind the wheel -- laws will.

that doesn't make any sense. look at DUI law. I guess it didn't really make any impact.

Try Again.

do you have any idea what our driver education is like? I didn't even study much for it. All I did was read the manual book for 30 min and then I took exam. I passed with the flying color. :dunno: Look at Germany. It has one of the best driving safety record in the world. Its driver ed program is so stringent and comprehensive that people called German drivers as the best driver in the world.

Yes, I'm quite familiar with Driver's Ed since my nephew took it last year. I also took Driver's Ed in 10th grade, so I'm very familiar with laws and legislation as it applies to drivers. As far as Germany is concerned, they do not have the same degree of traffic congestion we do, so of course they will have better drivers.

what does that have to do with this? Did you know that you can be criminally-charged with road rage and/or aggressive driving? it's a much more serious than DWT. It's an arrestable offense (at officer's discretion). DWT is not.

My argument has everything to do with it. A driver is only charged with road rage when their actions are towards another driver -- not the passenger inside their vehicle. There *is* a difference.

actually you can be charged with manslaughter. Many drunk drivers were charged with it..... including racers.

Drunk driving is completely different from someone having an argument. Not everyone who argues behind the wheel of a car is drunk nor are they aggressive enough to warrant punishment by law.

wtf?????? I thought I've heard it all but eating cereal while driving? wow.... these people..... :roll:

oh yea - I've mentioned this in other thread but I'll say it again. When I was at bumper-to-bumper traffic jam few months ago, I saw this odd fella playing with trumpet while driving. :roll:
figures. drivers do dumb stuff.

I honestly think the most dangerous of all distractions is sex or "road-head" while driving.

bold idea but poor execution. This law has been around for quite some while. Result? NADA. None of my friends have been charged with it.... except Seat Belt Law. But hey - at least it's just something for officer to charge them with........ if they can prove it.

That is a poor basis of comparison. You can't use a group of friends not being charged as a valid argument to explain why a law isn't effective. You might want to try making a stronger argument next time. :)

The DUI law has nothing to do with educating drivers. Your point?

educate till pigs fly and people will still be dumbasses

our driver education has a minimal emphasis on safety program.

Because of this - it's very easy for any drivers including idiots to pass the test.
Because of this - the drivers are ill-informed and ill-educated about it.
Because of this - the drivers exhibit risky driving behavior.
Because of this - people get hurt.

law doesn't prevent people from from breaking laws to begin with..

the texting and cell phone laws only help police charge the offender after the accident.

Laws don't protect people from breaking other laws, but they do increase safety that ordinarily wouldn't be protected if a given law didn't exist.

That is a poor basis of comparison. You can't use a group of friends not being charged as a valid argument to explain why a law isn't effective. You might want to try making a stronger argument next time. :)

a group of friends? I'm not talking about 5 or 6 friends. try hundreds. Friends of friends, friends of friends' friends. Not one has been charged with DWT and talking on cellphone. However - quite a handful of them were charged failing to wear seat belt.

I've had several close calls because the other driver was on his/her cell phone talking or texting.

I actually saw a woman drive out and cut in front of a guy going 60 mph. He slammed on the brakes leaving a 100 ft trail... almost hit her. Whew!

Yes, I'm quite familiar with Driver's Ed since my nephew took it last year. I also took Driver's Ed in 10th grade, so I'm very familiar with laws and legislation as it applies to drivers. As far as Germany is concerned, they do not have the same degree of traffic congestion we do, so of course they will have better drivers.
I don't understand your comment about traffic congestion. It's same as anywhere in the world. The german drivers were not better than us because of different "degree of traffic congestion." It's because they have a much more stringent and comprehensive driving program that emphasizes on safety.

My argument has everything to do with it. A driver is only charged with road rage when their actions are towards another driver -- not the passenger inside their vehicle. There *is* a difference.

Drunk driving is completely different from someone having an argument. Not everyone who argues behind the wheel of a car is drunk nor are they aggressive enough to warrant punishment by law.
The law doesn't agree with you. Here are plenty of news -

-Four booked with manslaughter in crash that killed driver on Bonnabel during high-speed police chase
-Vehicular Manslaughter Charge for Drunk Driver Who Killed Cyclist on Bike Path
-Drunk driver arrested for manslaughter in Arlington

I don't understand your comment about traffic congestion. It's same as anywhere in the world. The german drivers were not better than us because of different "degree of traffic congestion." It's because they have a much more stringent and comprehensive driving program that emphasizes on safety.

The law doesn't agree with you. Here are plenty of news -

-Four booked with manslaughter in crash that killed driver on Bonnabel during high-speed police chase
-Vehicular Manslaughter Charge for Drunk Driver Who Killed Cyclist on Bike Path
-Drunk driver arrested for manslaughter in Arlington

What I meant is that punishing a drunk driver for manslaughter is completely different from charging someone for the same reason because they are arguing behind the wheel. Making that kind of comparison is like comparing apples to oranges.

a group of friends? I'm not talking about 5 or 6 friends. try hundreds. Friends of friends, friends of friends' friends. Not one has been charged with DWT and talking on cellphone. However - quite a handful of them were charged failing to wear seat belt.

That's still not large enough of a representative sample to make a valid argument.

By the way, you have hundreds upon hundreds of friends? My, oh my. Are we talking about online friends or friends IRL? If online, anyone can say whatever they wish and there is no proof to substantiate their claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back