Americans still texting while driving despite bans

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is possible because I put the cell phone into the my vision level as at the same time looking thru the windshield. I hold my cell phone on the top of the wheel as pressing my lower palms to the wheel to control my car.That way, I can see the cars (the brake lights, the color of the car, etc) as I look at my cell phone while I text at my vision level.

lol you just reminded of this "four-eyed fish" called Anableps anableps.

10ck7qe.jpg

source
anatomy
Split eyes of the four-eyed fish allow it to see above and below the surface of the water simultaneously due to varying thickness in the lens.
"Native to Caribbean lagoons, Anableps anableps is commonly known as the four-eyed fish because its two eyes are split by horizontal partitions into two halves, each of which has its own iris and retina. This unique optical construction lets the fish swim at the surface of the water, with the upper half of each eye scanning the air for predatory fish-eating birds, and the lower half peering down below the surface, in search of small fish to feed on…Despite each eye being partitioned, there is only one oval-shaped lens per eye. Because vision through water requires a thicker lens than vision through air, the fish's eye is ingeniously adapted to fulfill two purposes, with the lower portion of each eye's lens (through which the fish sees underwater) thicker than the upper portion (through which the fish sees in air)." (Shuker 2001:12-13)

her is an example of a death from another distraction ~
Lake County sheriff's police say motorcyclist Anita Zaffke was killed Saturday by a driver whose attention was diverted by a decidedly low-tech endeavor: She was painting her nails. Zaffke was sitting at a stoplight in Lake Zurich when her bike was rammed from behind by a Chevy Impala. Zaffke was thrown 200 feet.
Anita Zaffke

distractions kill. people need to pay attention while driving. distractions like, texting, cell phone, eating and putting on make up kill innocent.

is texting someone really worth risking someone else's life?

no it is not.

Jolie,

It may be hard to track people who are texting, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a law prohibiting it. It's also difficult to spot drivers who have alcohol in their vehicles, but this doesn't prevent it from being a state law.

This cellphone law is not really meant to be enforceable. This law exists to ENABLE the officer to charge them with in case of accidents. If there was an accident and it was found that the driver was DWT.... then the officer can charge him with that which comes with fines.... and also a bump in insurance premium.

her is an example of a death from another distraction ~

Anita Zaffke

distractions kill. people need to pay attention while driving. distractions like, texting, cell phone, eating and putting on make up kill innocent.

is texting someone really worth risking someone else's life?

no it is not.

then we'll have hundred of things to add to Ban List -

1. screaming, fighting troublemakers behind the seat
2. dog/cat on your lap
3. radio and dancing
4. cellphone via bluetooth
5. drinking/eating
6. talking to passengers
7. decoration in your car
8. tinted windows
9. .........

How is it possible to text and drive at the same time? If you're texting, one hand is on the steering wheel while the other is on your cell phone. My sister told me the print font on cell phones is pretty small and the keyboard for texting is even smaller.

when I txt to friends, I don't always look at cellphone while driving because i know what I'm typing since I know where keys are. The notch (similar as braille) on my keyboard is useful. I make a quick glance at screen to see if there's typo or not.

when I txt to friends, I don't always look at cellphone while driving because i know what I'm typing since I know where keys are. The notch (similar as braille) on my keyboard is useful. I make a quick glance at screen to see if there's typo or not.

Interesting. I didn't know there were tactile markings on cell phones (with the exception of a dot on #5) although my sister's Kyocera has a round recessed dot directly below and to the left of each number key.

My cell phone is an LG and it talks. When I press any key on it, the phone will tell me what it is.

Interesting. I didn't know there were tactile markings on cell phones (with the exception of a dot on #5) although my sister's Kyocera has a round recessed dot directly below and to the left of each number key.

My cell phone is an LG and it talks. When I press any key on it, the phone will tell me what it is.

yes yes that's the one - the tactile dot on #5. cellphone My keyboard is more compacted than a full-size QWERTY. That made my job a lot easier to txt while driving.

I have Blackberry Pearl 8130

then we'll have hundred of things to add to Ban List -

1. screaming, fighting troublemakers behind the seat

Using this as an argument to defend the right to text is a stretch. How does one go about controlling how a person acts in their own vehicle?

yes yes that's the one - the tactile dot on #5. cellphone My keyboard is more compacted than a full-size QWERTY. That made my job a lot easier to txt while driving.

I have Blackberry Pearl 8130

Cool. :cool2:

I'm going to read the specs on your Blackberry. I love learning about new technology. :D

Using this as an argument to defend the right to text is a stretch. How does one go about controlling how a person acts in their own vehicle?

1. comprehensive driver education
2. frequent advertisement of driving safety awareness in tv commercial/magazine
3. and lastly.... a criminal charge such as manslaughter

there is a thing called common sense. most people lack it

which is why adding more laws is silly. it doesn't solve anything. fix it at the beginning when you train the driver - a comprehensive driver education with a huge emphasis on safety.

1. comprehensive driver education
2. frequent advertisement of driving safety awareness in tv commercial/magazine
3. and lastly.... a criminal charge such as manslaughter

1. All the education in the world won't change someone who has anger management issues or has a mental disorder like Borderline Personality Disorder or Intermittent Explosive Personality Disorder.

2. A good idea, but again, this will not prevent the majority of people from acting the way they do. I can tell you that when something or someone irritates me, I have a *very* difficult time controlling my anger.

3. You can't charge someone with manslaughter just because they are having an argument behind the wheel although one exception would be if there is a physical confrontation between the driver and passenger.

which is why adding more laws is silly. it doesn't solve anything. fix it at the beginning when you train the driver - a comprehensive driver education with a huge emphasis on safety.

I agree with you, good post. :)

laws still will not help.
people are just ignorant self absorbed twits...

a prime example is the dumbass lady that was caught eating cereal while driving :sure:

This cellphone law is not really meant to be enforceable. This law exists to ENABLE the officer to charge them with in case of accidents. If there was an accident and it was found that the driver was DWT.... then the officer can charge him with that which comes with fines.... and also a bump in insurance premium.

It really doesn't matter what the intent of a law is as long as it does what it's supposed to (i.e. promote the greater safety of citizens).

How can you say that adding more laws won't solve anything? If one life is saved, isn't that enough?

Like I said, you can give a driver all the training in the world, but education won't prevent someone from acting stupid behind the wheel -- laws will.

1. All the education in the world won't change someone who has anger management issues or has a mental disorder like Borderline Personality Disorder or Intermittent Explosive Personality Disorder.
do you have any idea what our driver education is like? I didn't even study much for it. All I did was read the manual book for 30 min and then I took exam. I passed with the flying color. :dunno: Look at Germany. It has one of the best driving safety record in the world. Its driver ed program is so stringent and comprehensive that people called German drivers as the best driver in the world.

2. A good idea, but again, this will not prevent the majority of people from acting the way they do. I can tell you that when something or someone irritates me, I have a *very* difficult time controlling my anger.
what does that have to do with this? Did you know that you can be criminally-charged with road rage and/or aggressive driving? it's a much more serious than DWT. It's an arrestable offense (at officer's discretion). DWT is not.

3. You can't charge someone with manslaughter just because they are having an argument behind the wheel although one exception would be if there is a physical confrontation between the driver and passenger.
actually you can be charged with manslaughter. Many drunk drivers were charged with it..... including racers.

laws still will not help.
people are just ignorant self absorbed twits...

a prime example is the dumbass lady that was caught eating cereal while driving :sure:

wtf?????? I thought I've heard it all but eating cereal while driving? wow.... these people..... :roll:

oh yea - I've mentioned this in other thread but I'll say it again. When I was at bumper-to-bumper traffic jam few months ago, I saw this odd fella playing with trumpet while driving. :roll:

I have no idea why everyone thinks I'm completely clueless when it comes to driving. Just because I'm totally blind doesn't mean I'm unaware of the laws that exist. In case anyone is interested, I took Driver's Ed in 10th grade because I wanted to learn more about traffic patterns and how they worked, so I'm quite familiar with laws and legislation as it applies to drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back