america is so overrated...

I don't know why this happens in the US and I won't pretend to understand why. I'm sure there are many factors. But something is going on because we, the US, have a lot of crime and a lot of angry people ready to shoot each other. You don't see this in other countries, even Canada who is right next to us. ::shrugs::

I would venture to think that some of it comes from the "me first mentality" that many US citizens have and if you combine that with low amounts of health care........ I'm not excusing what happens - there is no excuse. Its just sad really. Makes me want to move to Canada.

Go ahead, nothing's stopping you.

Actually, we might. My husband has been looking into professor jobs at Universities in Canada for when he finishes his PhD next year. Who knows. :)

look at Asa Coon's picture.

click below to enlarge picture.

Attachments

• art.jpg
    art.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 20
On his profanity-laced page on MySpace.com, Coon lists his occupation as "Goth." He was an atheist and a devoted follower of Goth rocker Marilyn Manson.

A schoolmate said Coon had been beaten up Monday after saying "F--- God" during an argument.

well, i did not mean to offend amerians here....i didn't say YOU directly. the world got the impression that america's a better place to live. indeed, it is because of the freedom they get. i am very well aware there are much worse places out there in the world but i'm talking about the school shootings here. a FOURTEEN year old kid with a gun??? sure, he's got a troubled background. he didn't get much love from his parents. who should take the blame? parents? media? friends' influences? what? you tell me. if you really look closely, school shootings usually happen OFTEN in AMERICA. it's such a tragedy. kids care what they wear, what they have...if you don't have what they have, you suddenly become one of the uncool kids. the pressure is on. self esteem hits rock bottom. anger takes over. violence begins. *shakes head in disgust* one word: spoiled. they should feel fortunate to have things that many poor children don't normally get. isn't freedom enough for them? apparently not...

America isn't that bad. Americans just have to be nice to each other.
Have more or show more compassion for one another. Help each other.
And don't offend or insult or bully anyone. It only happened every
once in a while. It doesn't happen everyday.

I just saw the unedited video from inside the school during the shooting. It was very frightening. There was so much confusion. It looked like the school didn't have a good plan in action. They looked like they didn't know what to do. :cold:

I just saw the unedited video from inside the school during the shooting. It was very frightening. There was so much confusion. It looked like the school didn't have a good plan in action. They looked like they didn't know what to do. :cold:

Where did you see that at?....I wanna to see it...

As with any shooting anywhere, it would indeed be a horrifying and frightening situation--I did watch on the local news yesterday and one thing I recall was the fact that this school didn't have the fundings to implement some sort of plan whereas other schools may have in a place more 'things/devices', a plan, etc..., as this school is situated in an area that poverty is pretty high.

~RR

As with any shooting anywhere, it would indeed be a horrifying and frightening situation--I did watch on the local news yesterday and one thing I recall was the fact that this school didn't have the fundings to implement some sort of plan whereas other schools may have in a place more 'things/devices', a plan, etc..., as this school is situated in an area that poverty is pretty high.

~RR
I don't mean equipment or technology. The teachers and students were very disorganized, confused, not taking the warnings seriously. They just goofed around while the shooting was happening. They didn't get serious until it was almost over. The teens didn't pay much attention to the teacher at first. They just didn't know what to do in an emergency.

um...ok...didn't say america is bad. i was just simply trying to point out the values. regardless of the school shootings, i applaud america for providing ADA laws to meet deaf needs.

I don't mean equipment or technology. The teachers and students were very disorganized, confused, not taking the warnings seriously. They just goofed around while the shooting was happening. They didn't get serious until it was almost over. The teens didn't pay much attention to the teacher at first. They just didn't know what to do in an emergency.

Thanks for bringing that to attention and one would think that most schools nowadays would be a bit more prepared in an event like this happening and be somewhat prepared...at least being a little more organized. But then again, some plans surely can go awry or haywired when there is a mad, crazy shooter running down in the hallway(s)....

~RR

Defeatist attitudes breed defeat.

Ashamed of Americans who put down their country at every turn and not correct those outsiders who put it down.

Always notice that the defeatists have their paws out for any entitlement program $$ and anything free (nothing is free/someone/somewhere pays for it) and in the same breath talk about how bad the country is.

Bottom line for any American joining in this threads hate fest --
We are a free country - no one is making you stay - feel free to exit at any time.

added thought - The bad guy already knows what he/she is going to do and the rest react to that.
There are no perfect plans for dealing with this sort of thing.

Last edited:
Defeatist attitudes breed defeat.

Ashamed of Americans who put down their country at every turn and not correct those outsiders who put it down.

Always notice that the defeatists have their paws out for any entitlement program $$ and anything free (nothing is free/someone/somewhere pays for it) and in the same breath talk about how bad the country is.

Bottom line for any American joining in this threads hate fest --
We are a free country - no one is making you stay - feel free to exit at any time.

added thought - The bad guy already knows what he/she is going to do and the rest react to that.
There are no perfect plans for dealing with this sort of thing.
Just because you don't agree with with some things in your own country doesn't mean that you hate it. I don't think this thread is hateful it is just opinions of different people.

Living in a country doesn't mean all or nothing. I really can't stand this whole "you're either for us or against us, so if you don't like it - get out!" attitude that so many people have. Change can be good and change starts with people having a different opinion and thinking outside the box. It is called free speech which we can all take advantage of it.

I don't hate my country but that also doesn't mean that I think it is perfect.

Back