Am I the only one bothered by this?

Agreed. But often times, they are the ones making the decision on CI. That is why the companies make sure that they reach the hearing parents with their ads.

I will also add that I agree that families don't always know best, but will add to that if they have not done as much investigation into the cultural, have not had close contact with the deaf, and have not given the deaf perspective as much time and consideration as they put into CI, not only do they not know what is best, they are making biased decisions.

I hate those ads that say Freedom of Listening. :roll:

Radio ads for Cochlear Implants-strange waste of advertising funds-to say the least. Installing an implant is surgery. Usually done in hospitals who normally don't various surgeries performed. So far-no ads saying 1/2 price on Wednesday.
Whether families "know about various surgeries" interesting question. The finer points of say a gallbladder vs appendix- a hot topic du jour?
The only ads I have ever seen on TV are various Hearing Aid dispensaries. None by any hospital on Cochlear Implants. Hearing aids themselves come in various sizes now including in one's ear canal. This has been a ongoing debate to make them "smaller" to disguise that one is wearing them.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Perhaps different countries have different rules on advertising re Cochlear Implants.

Never seen a commercial for a cochlear implant on TV, never heard a commercial for a cochlear implant on the radio and have never seen an ad for a cochlear implant in a newspaper.

Perhaps different countries have different rules on advertising re Cochlear Implants.

:dunno: I know in the US that TV commercials are allowed for surgery services for eyes, spines, and face lifts, so surgeries per se aren't forbidden.

the can't do that here in canada ...the only thing u can "advertise for" is shorter wait times on surgeries..for ex ontario health has a commercial on tv saying to go to the ontario health website and look for shorter wait times on your surgery or clinics in your area etc. And once in awhile there are radio ads about a local hearing centre for all day free cleaning and free audiogram just to get more patients in and new ones etc but u can't advertise for surgeries like that. You know the countless commercials u have for lawyers there..have u had this injury then call this person..u can't do that here in canada either

Mine are probably average sized - I'm not sure if I've seen any that are bigger or smaller than mine. Either way, I don't care. I wear 'em !! :)

At Tyler's hearing aid check-up last month, the audi told me that she had some bad news - instantly I got nervous, thinking the worst obviously. Then she told me Tyler's new SP Naida aids were not powerful enough... they wanted to move him up to UP's. I asked what the bad news was? She said the UP's were a bit bigger and we'd have to go through the nuisance of having her order new ones. So, I asked... "does he need them", to which she replied "yes"... and I said "well then order them... if needs them I don't care how big or small they are".

I found it quite strange... what were my options? Stay with the smaller ones because they were smaller but didn't really amplify enough for Tyler - or go a bit bigger and have an accurate fitting. Seemed bizzare to me... obviously I'd rather an accurate fitting regardless of size. A hearing aid is a hearing aid.

Agreed. But often times, they are the ones making the decision on CI. That is why the companies make sure that they reach the hearing parents with their ads.

I will also add that I agree that families don't always know best, but will add to that if they have not done as much investigation into the cultural, have not had close contact with the deaf, and have not given the deaf perspective as much time and consideration as they put into CI, not only do they not know what is best, they are making biased decisions.

Yep, those the ones usually think about hearing world and hearing view, not the Deaf child view.

I hate those ads that say Freedom of Listening. :roll:

Really? Don't see those adverts. Wonder what so freedom about hearing? Even they got hearing it still limited (speech training, listening training, etc), doesn't looks like freedom to me.

At Tyler's hearing aid check-up last month, the audi told me that she had some bad news - instantly I got nervous, thinking the worst obviously. Then she told me Tyler's new SP Naida aids were not powerful enough... they wanted to move him up to UP's. I asked what the bad news was? She said the UP's were a bit bigger and we'd have to go through the nuisance of having her order new ones. So, I asked... "does he need them", to which she replied "yes"... and I said "well then order them... if needs them I don't care how big or small they are".

I found it quite strange... what were my options? Stay with the smaller ones because they were smaller but didn't really amplify enough for Tyler - or go a bit bigger and have an accurate fitting. Seemed bizzare to me... obviously I'd rather an accurate fitting regardless of size. A hearing aid is a hearing aid.

I suppose she might thought that you might be worried about the size and want hide the aids? My sister hated wear aids that is big, she refused to wear it even it helps her to hear better, she much rather wear small ones even it not powerful enough. Everyone is different. I noticed that it usuallly HOH people view this, Deaf aren't bothered by size usually.

Good point, but families doesn't always know the best.

True. It's like the radio stations are saying, "We know your hearing family/friends will know what's best for you. You're Deaf. You can't possibly be intelligent enough to do your own research." :roll:

True. It's like the radio stations are saying, "We know your hearing family/friends will know what's best for you. You're Deaf. You can't possibly be intelligent enough to do your own research." :roll:

Yep, it seems like it some of the times. No wonder old fashions ideas still around even though they been proven wrong so many times!

Wirelessly posted

where are people seeing or hearing these ads? I have never seen an ad for a CI in any publication that was not specifically aimed at parents of deaf children (ag bell magazine is the ONLY place i saw one).

Magazines have all kinds of ads for hearing aids. Newspapers also have these ads. I have also seen TV ads for hearing aids. As far as CI's, I get all kinds of junk mail advertising them. There have been ads in some magazines regarding them at one point, but then a retraction or apology later. As for the radio, I couldn't tell you since I can't hear.

Wirelessly posted

KristinaB said:
Magazines have all kinds of ads for hearing aids. Newspapers also have these ads. I have also seen TV ads for hearing aids. As far as CI's, I get all kinds of junk mail advertising them. There have been ads in some magazines regarding them at one point, but then a retraction or apology later. As for the radio, I couldn't tell you since I can't hear.

junk mail as in direct mail from the companies themselves? Or are they ads in another place or publication?

Wirelessly posted

where are people seeing or hearing these ads? I have never seen an ad for a CI in any publication that was not specifically aimed at parents of deaf children (ag bell magazine is the ONLY place i saw one).

So much for my assertion that the ads were aimed at hearing parents. Marketing to the purchaser.

See post 70.

Wirelessly posted

junk mail as in direct mail from the companies themselves? Or are they ads in another place or publication?

This was junk mail from specific companies advertising their products. I call it junk mail because it's a waste of paper to be sent to random households. I have asked these companies to remove me from their mailing lists, but still I get their crap without fail every other week. I now bundle it up and drop it at their doorstep with a note that it is unwanted. There have also been ads in some things I get from AARP.

I hear commercials on the radio, and I've seen some on TV talking about new hearing devices and CI's. They often say something to the effect of, "you'll be able to hear and no one has to know about your hearing problem." I'm not quoting verbatim, but that's the basic idea. Rush Limbaugh promotes the CI with comments similar to that.
It bothers me to my core, perpetuating the stereotype that there is something wrong with being DHH and that it can be hidden. I'm proud to be out with my son who wears HA's, and proud to be signing with him. I feel that commercials like this are detrimental to those who are DHH and who haven't found their pride in who they are. Being D/deaf doesn't define a person, but it is certainly a part of them.
I hope that these idiots will change the tune of their commercials, I don't see how negativity can bring about anything positive.

C
yeah i use to be like that,it just gives u low self esteem

Back