Am I the only one bothered by this?

Me, either. Nor will I have my eye subjected to a red hot laser. Glasses are just fine, thank you.

Laser surgery? Uh no. :iough: I'm outta here.

It wasn't hot, and it didn't hurt.

I do like the idea of making the processor smaller though. For instance, one aspect of the upgrade from the Nucleus Freedom to the Nucleus 5 (i.e. I didn't get it yet but might try to do so next year) is making the processor smaller. Cause not only is it lighter on the ears, but I also think that the size of the Nucleus Freedom processor tend to make my ear stick out a bit and that also gets a little more noticeable after I get an haircut. And the same goes for the BTE's whereas they are also making the digitals smaller.

Contact lenses are a booming business in this society. We have to present some superficial picture of perfection to the outside world less we be judged as human and imperfect.

I prefer contact lenses and I plan on getting some in Jan for the first time in over 5 years. The reason for that is that I miss showing off my beautiful blue eyes with makeup. Also, I am getting sick and tired of dealing with smudges on my glasses, them hurting my nose, and etc.

As y'all know I wear glasses, but I'm considering getting contact lenses, because I will be starting to perform this January with the MIT Asian Dance Team. I don't want to look like a geeky librarian while I'm dancing in a some beautiful costume instead of looking like a some traditional Asian princess or whatever as glasses could detract the overall look you're trying to do. I think wearing glasses while you perform can be bit distracting to the audience?

Shel: I wish I have blue/green/gray eyes or anything except brown eyes!!! It's soo boring to be exactly like billions of other Asians with same hair and eye color! >.<

I wore contacts in my 20's but in my 30's I developed dry eyes (and mouth). The chronic dry eyes made it impossible for me to wear contacts. (Now my daughter is having the same experience.)

So, several years ago, I had laser surgery on both eyes to correct my extreme nearsightedness. There was no pain or sensation of burning involved. It's been great! I can still drive without glasses, I can swim at the beach without glasses, I can watch TV without glasses, and I can go outside to a non-blurry world without glasses.

As an older person, I do use reading glasses.

Years prior to my laser surgery, I had all four punctal ducts cauterized. Now, THAT'S red hot surgery! Under local anesthesia only (just the eyes are numbed), with eyes wide open, sitting in a chair similar to a dentist's chair, the doctor did each duct, one at a time. He used burning hot fine metal wires and put the tip in the duct. I could hear the sizzle, see the smoke, and smell the flesh burn. Ugh!

That surgery is supposed to help dry eyes stay moist. It doesn't really do much good. :( The only difference is, if I tear up, the tears overflow down my cheeks instead of draining into the nasal cavity. Big whoop.

I have several friends who have had Lasix done, and like you they are really satisfied with the results. I just don't like my eyes messed with. Even the glaucoma exam with the burst of air drives me nuts!:giggle:

My eyes have gotten drier with each year past about 40. I carry saline drops with me. For what I spend on them, I could probably pay for the surgery, to be honest!:lol:

I prefer contact lenses and I plan on getting some in Jan for the first time in over 5 years. The reason for that is that I miss showing off my beautiful blue eyes with makeup. Also, I am getting sick and tired of dealing with smudges on my glasses, them hurting my nose, and etc.

That is understandable. But I'm old...I use lightly tinted lenses so I don't even have to bother with eye make-up.:giggle: I've reached that age where I'm trying to disguise things, not accentuate them, lol.

I just don't like my eyes messed with. Even the glaucoma exam with the burst of air drives me nuts!:giggle:

You're not the only one. My Shiba Inu would tell the vet before every glaucoma exam: "idontlokehtat." Vet would just chuckle and go "I know, but it need to be done." The dog would huff then let out a "okeeay."

Ah, the wonder of owning an independent spitz-- they may not be biddable and obident, but they can sure manipulate their voice quite well to sound like a small child. Thank God, the vet is used to being around huskies and malamutes;or like the other vets, they would think they're hearing things.

Those commercials annoy me... and I believe it only feeds the entire issue that there is something wrong with hoh and deafness.

It angers me beyond belief when someone takes pity upon Tyler because he is hoh. Tyler does not know any different. He does not need anyone's pity... he's the strongest, independent, happiest little boy I have seen... hearing or not does not change this.

On a side note, I was kind of shocked to read that some parents take their children's hearing aids off for photos??? I have never done that... in fact that has never even entered my mind. Tyler has worn his hearing aids during every waking moment ever since he was 5 months old. His hearing aids are part of him... Just like my older son's glasses are a part of him.

I'll admit I've had several moments of grief and worry over Tyler's hearing loss - but I have never been ashamed or embarrased by his use of hearing aids (he needs them and the fact is simple he is hoh). I take pride in his aids and now ASL.

You're not the only one. My Shiba Inu would tell the vet before every glaucoma exam: "idontlokehtat." Vet would just chuckle and go "I know, but it need to be done." The dog would huff then let out a "okeeay."

Ah, the wonder of owning an independent spitz-- they may not be biddable and obident, but they can sure manipulate their voice quite well to sound like a small child. Thank God, the vet is used to being around huskies and malamutes;or like the other vets, they would think they're hearing things.

I have a cousin who raises and breeds huskies. You are right...they freak me out sometimes. Between the vocalization and the light blue eyes that seem to look right through to your soul......

Those commercials annoy me... and I believe it only feeds the entire issue that there is something wrong with hoh and deafness.

It angers me beyond belief when someone takes pity upon Tyler because he is hoh. Tyler does not know any different. He does not need anyone's pity... he's the strongest, independent, happiest little boy I have seen... hearing or not does not change this.

On a side note, I was kind of shocked to read that some parents take their children's hearing aids off for photos??? I have never done that... in fact that has never even entered my mind. Tyler has worn his hearing aids during every waking moment ever since he was 5 months old. His hearing aids are part of him... Just like my older son's glasses are a part of him.

I'll admit I've had several moments of grief and worry over Tyler's hearing loss - but I have never been ashamed or embarrased by his use of hearing aids (he needs them and the fact is simple he is hoh). I take pride in his aids and now ASL.

I have a few pics of my son without HA from sporting events, or at the pool...things like that. I find myself thinking "What's wrong with this picture?" when I look at them.:giggle:

BTW...love your honesty and your attitude. Your son will do great.

I have a few pics of my son without HA from sporting events, or at the pool...things like that. I find myself thinking "What's wrong with this picture?" when I look at them.:giggle:

BTW...love your honesty and your attitude. Your son will do great.

I agree! Cherie is a great mom!

I'm curious; has anyone ever seen a TV commercial for cochlear implants?

Nope never seen one or ever heard of one.

Was off this week and can't believe how much daytime TV advertising is directed at the seniors: motorized scooters, panic buttons, and medicare/aid supplemental insurance!

BTW our daughter always wore her HAs and then her CIs in pictures.

Rick

My hair had always covered my HA's when I was little. As an adult, I didn't really care who saw them. Now, my kids hated theirs, so they would remove them for pictures whenever they could. Now, they don't wear any. As for glasses, daughter is the only one in the house without them and none of us mind ours in pictures with the exception of hubby. He's never careful with his and so they are always scratched up and he hardly ever wears them except for driving.

Mine was very exposed, hard to miss and I used to hate my parents showing the childhood school photos on the mantle piece. I take them down every time visitors comes round. Now since they realised that I wasn't happy with the pictures (I think I was about 11) they never put it back up again. But when was 11 onwards the school photos I had, had Hearing aids and I didn't mind having them on show as it was hardly seen. Now days I am grown up, I have bob style hairstyle cos I like it not because i want to hide my CI/HA, I put my hair in ponytail (hard with short hair) when I am riding my bike/horses/skiing etc.

I NEVER had thought about this. But now that I do...come to think of it, my mother would tell me to take off my hearing aids when we did our photographs. My parents, especially my father, were really ashamed of my deafness. My father STILL says I'm hearing with a "little hearing problem." I'm DEAF as they come...over 100 dB loss in both ears. :p

To answer the OP...it does more than bother me. It pisses me off. --> :pissed:

Oh boy talk about denial. :(

Tyler does not know any different. He does not need anyone's pity... he's the strongest, independent, happiest little boy I have seen... hearing or not does not change this.

Tyler has worn his hearing aids during every waking moment ever since he was 5 months old. His hearing aids are part of him... Just like my older son's glasses are a part of him.

I'll admit I've had several moments of grief and worry over Tyler's hearing loss - but I have never been ashamed or embarrased by his use of hearing aids (he needs them and the fact is simple he is hoh). I take pride in his aids and now ASL
Thirded! . It is an extremely healthy attitude to have!

I do like the idea of making the processor smaller though. For instance, one aspect of the upgrade from the Nucleus Freedom to the Nucleus 5 (i.e. I didn't get it yet but might try to do so next year) is making the processor smaller. Cause not only is it lighter on the ears, but I also think that the size of the Nucleus Freedom processor tend to make my ear stick out a bit and that also gets a little more noticeable after I get an haircut. And the same goes for the BTE's whereas they are also making the digitals smaller.
:roll:
Oh lord....the way people go on about the "bulkiness" of the processors/HAs you'd think that they are equalivant to ear horns. So, they're big? So what? So they're noticable? So what? It's not like they're body worn harness aids or ear horns.

:roll:
Oh lord....the way people go on about the "bulkiness" of the processors/HAs you'd think that they are equalivant to ear horns. So, they're big? So what? So they're noticable? So what? It's not like they're body worn harness aids or ear horns.

If people think HAs are bulky now, they should have seen them in the 70s. NWIH those aids could be hidden.

Back