All about turbos!!!

Do you look at what people drive and wonder why they got a Lincoln or Cadillac? Why did they not get anything with turbocharged engine?

I look at all those people who drives minivan and big vans. I wonder why they did not get anything turbocharged?

I think that turbocharged vehicles are the way to go. They're fun to drive!!!

Turbos (for gas powered engines) are not my favorite. Newer Caddy uses supercharger. Lincoln? :dunno:

keep in mind the price difference between a turbo rebuild and a engine rebuild is huge, I changed the turbo on my car and it cost just a few beers for me and a mate and the turbo cost, and when fuel economy is bought in the equation I would imagine that the turbo would come out on top. One thing with turbos is use turbo specific oil or the cheap stuff thats on special will kill it.

True, if improper oil grade/weight can ruin turbocharger's ball bearings, you lucky to have turbocharger swap in ur vehicle in your homeland but in California, NO add-on turbocharger or supercharger allows in this state without approved CARB (California Air Resources Board) certifications.

Its nothing to do with crazy people, it is the way it was built. The first Diesel engines don't have turbos, this includes Cummins, and other diesel engine like the one I own (Navistar, AKA International), Detroit Diesel for GM, etc. The only reason behind adding turbo in Diesel is to increase the speed from zero to whatever in less time. I think it is silly really as I believe it is best let the engine do their work than whipping the diesel ass to get it faster. Anyway, these Diesel that had turbo installed can not be removed and that is because the engine designed that way so can't remove it. Unless somebody gets the idea how to remove turbo from Navistar Diesel engine let me know. And I would love it to be removed because they are expensive to repair or replace. Turbo for my truck replacement cost would be around $3k plus labor and few other parts that is required to replaced. Urgh!

Other examples are, first diesel engine in Ford F-series trucks was in 1982. About 10 years later, turbo were add on top of Diesel in ford trucks. It same thing applies to other car makers.

I personally do not believe that Turbos would means fuel efficient, and I think they are less fuel efficient (IMHO) and I can tell you why. Mind you, friend of mine had 1997 F-350 crew cab with 7.3L and it got smaller turbo than mine and he got better mileage than mine. Don't forget, my Diesel engine is 6.0L with bigger turbo. Secondly, I had first generation Diesel VW Jetta and there was no turbo in it and I get easy 60MPG and I am not lying with this one, then next generation VW Jetta had Turbo add which gives another 50 HP and gets only 45MPG. Loss of 15 MPG with Turbo added? How can it be fuel efficient? Yeah, the only disadvantage of without turbo is that when red light turns to green, I floor it every time and it takes time for it to reach to 60 MPH, maybe 15 or 20 seconds. I don't mind that as long as it saves me money.

Oh and OP..........Cummins=Diesel, does not necessarily mean turbo (most of the time yes, but some crazy people do run Cummins N/A diesels [why, who know's]).

I have not tried, but I had a 1993 Eclipse GSX when I was in high school. It was fast for me!! Now I am an old man, but I still think turbos are cool!!

I recently replaced an IAC last couple of weeks ago in same 1993 Eclipse but I didn't see "GSX", have AWD with manual tranny. The engine looks horrible with black oily stained all over the compartment and engine/tranny. Gross.

I recently replaced an IAC last couple of weeks ago in same 1993 Eclipse but I didn't see "GSX", have AWD with manual tranny. The engine looks horrible with black oily stained all over the compartment and engine/tranny. Gross.

That Eclipse must have went fast one too many times that the GSX name plate fell off. It's lucky that this turbo engine is still alive. Looks like it was not well cared for. Not many of those people with sports car take good care of them.

Its nothing to do with crazy people, it is the way it was built. The first Diesel engines don't have turbos, this includes Cummins, and other diesel engine like the one I own (Navistar, AKA International), Detroit Diesel for GM, etc. The only reason behind adding turbo in Diesel is to increase the speed from zero to whatever in less time. I think it is silly really as I believe it is best let the engine do their work than whipping the diesel ass to get it faster. Anyway, these Diesel that had turbo installed can not be removed and that is because the engine designed that way so can't remove it. Unless somebody gets the idea how to remove turbo from Navistar Diesel engine let me know. And I would love it to be removed because they are expensive to repair or replace. Turbo for my truck replacement cost would be around $3k plus labor and few other parts that is required to replaced. Urgh!

Other examples are, first diesel engine in Ford F-series trucks was in 1982. About 10 years later, turbo were add on top of Diesel in ford trucks. It same thing applies to other car makers.

I personally do not believe that Turbos would means fuel efficient, and I think they are less fuel efficient (IMHO) and I can tell you why. Mind you, friend of mine had 1997 F-350 crew cab with 7.3L and it got smaller turbo than mine and he got better mileage than mine. Don't forget, my Diesel engine is 6.0L with bigger turbo. Secondly, I had first generation Diesel VW Jetta and there was no turbo in it and I get easy 60MPG and I am not lying with this one, then next generation VW Jetta had Turbo add which gives another 50 HP and gets only 45MPG. Loss of 15 MPG with Turbo added? How can it be fuel efficient? Yeah, the only disadvantage of without turbo is that when red light turns to green, I floor it every time and it takes time for it to reach to 60 MPH, maybe 15 or 20 seconds. I don't mind that as long as it saves me money.

Turbo(s) can't remove from Navistar Diesel engine? Really, I didn't know that. Something interest to me.

That is what I was told, as it has to do with computer and oil connection. I am not sure exact why and not bother trying to find out.

Turbo(s) can't remove from Navistar Diesel engine? Really, I didn't know that. Something interest to me.

I was mean to compare between V6 and I4 with turbocharger, Both are almost same HP but I4 got better MPG than V6.

Real reason why diesel got add turbocharger? Answer is the turbocharger help less emission and more torque. Yep, Diesel with turbocharger get low emission than gasoline. *Yeah DeafSmogtech, Is it true?*

Yes, I know about V8 are better than V8 with turbocharger for MPG but dont forget about torque and emission.

That Eclipse must have went fast one too many times that the GSX name plate fell off. It's lucky that this turbo engine is still alive. Looks like it was not well cared for. Not many of those people with sports car take good care of them.

Yes, Too many of my friends from John hersey high school complained about it.

That is what I was told, as it has to do with computer and oil connection. I am not sure exact why and not bother trying to find out.

There is no such computer for turbocharger, Only oil connection. That's what I saw all engines as CAT, Cummins, John Deere, Detroit, Navistar and Mack with turbocharger. I will ask to my teacher if that turbocharger can removed from the engine.

Believe it or not, but I graduated from Hersey in 1996. Maybe I crossed path with you, didn't I?

Turbocharged or supercharged used on both gasoline and diesel powered engines, will create NOx (nitrogen oxides) emission that the temperature in the combustion chambers (in cylinders of the engine), reach over 2,500 degree F and cause by too lean air/fuel mixture and high compression ratio. Diesel engines with turbos will produce good fuel mileage I think.

Diesel powered vehicles are more pollutes than the gasoline powered vehicles but I smogged a 2009 BMW X5d, Twin TC diesel powered, I saw the VECI says 5 cat converters I think ( I 'll find out tmw). I smell no diesel fume from tailpipe like little smell from newer gasoline powered vehicle. Wow.

Believe it or not, but I graduated from Hersey in 1996. Maybe I crossed path with you, didn't I?
I kind know you thru Max R. I missed you by one year.

Turbocharged or supercharged used on both gasoline and diesel powered engines, will create NOx (nitrogen oxides) emission that the temperature in the combustion chambers (in cylinders of the engine), reach over 2,500 degree F and cause by too lean air/fuel mixture and high compression ratio. Diesel engines with turbos will produce good fuel mileage I think.

Diesel powered vehicles are more pollutes than the gasoline powered vehicles but I smogged a 2009 BMW X5d, Twin TC diesel powered, I saw the VECI says 5 cat converters I think ( I 'll find out tmw). I smell no diesel fume from tailpipe like little smell from newer gasoline powered vehicle. Wow.

I learned from class that diesel engine without turbocharger is pretty high emission than engine with turbocharger.

I was mean to compare between V6 and I4 with turbocharger, Both are almost same HP but I4 got better MPG than V6.

Real reason why diesel got add turbocharger? Answer is the turbocharger help less emission and more torque. Yep, Diesel with turbocharger get low emission than gasoline. *Yeah DeafSmogtech, Is it true?*

Yes, I know about V8 are better than V8 with turbocharger for MPG but dont forget about torque and emission.

There is no such computer for turbocharger, Only oil connection. That's what I saw all engines as CAT, Cummins, John Deere, Detroit, Navistar and Mack with turbocharger. I will ask to my teacher if that turbocharger can removed from the engine.

For OBD-II diesel powered vehicles with turbo(s), they have electronic turbocharger(s) like variable geometry turbo (VGT). Dst

I looked up Alldata repair infro today..... Labor time to R&R turbocharger on Navistar diesel 6.0L engine is 3 hours for professional mechanic. New turbocharger cost around $1,350-1,500 dealer list. I think DHB is right about the cost of the parts and labor. Dst

For OBD-II diesel powered vehicles with turbo(s), they have electronic turbocharger(s) like variable geometry turbo (VGT). Dst

What type of diesel engine for OBD-II?

That's listed I saw which don't have electronic for J1939 and J1708 only.

I don't know nothing about OBD-II diesel.

Back