All about turbos!!!

The main reason is that diesel engines without the filtering devices are much more dirtier than the gasoline versions which is why they don't pass the strict emission rules in California. Europe, on the other counterpart is more flexible and have different society. It is very hard to get a diesel to approve CArB rules. Mercedes did make it with one model called bluetec diesel and the VW TDI as well. Subaru just couldn't figure it out, pretty much. The mpg ratings with the Subie is impressive.

Agreed, somehow I think of the diesel Subby that cant met the CARB is because they (engineers) are coping with the excessive emissions situations. If you want to lower the NOx level, is you have to increase fuel meterings by change the mapping (software in computer) but they will fail for little black puffs from tailpipes. And want to lean fuel meterings then will get bad NOx but I caught you for cat converter issues, I think they should do something up with cat converters (maybe they have troubles with tightest underbody spaces for addition cat converters) to control the NOx levels.

Funny thing, I don't see any catalytic converter system from Freightliners and Mack, the turbocharger just direct to muffler and I don't remember to see any smoke come out from the muffler. I am going make a video tomorrow if I remember.

Funny thing, I don't see any catalytic converter system from Freightliners and Mack, the turbocharger just direct to muffler and I don't remember to see any smoke come out from the muffler. I am going make a video tomorrow if I remember.

Most newer maybe 2003 and up model year, have cats, and EGRs. You are right about no cats or EGRs on the older semi trucks/tractors/HD equipments.

No, not to me. For long time I thought that CAT will not work with Diesel. Found out that CAT was add on Diesel vehicle during sometime 2000 to now. I have no idea which year CAT was first on Diesel and I don't care really.

From my understand, that Diesel demands more frequent filter changes and oil changes than gasoline counterparts. And it does demand on time maintenance, failure to do so will shorten the engine life.

No, not to me. For long time I thought that CAT will not work with Diesel. Found out that CAT was add on Diesel vehicle during sometime 2000 to now. I have no idea which year CAT was first on Diesel and I don't care really.

I think Ford and GM diesel vehicles with early OBD-II, have cats and EGRs, not all the vehicles. Dodge with Cummins, have cats on late 2000 model year.

I recently replaced an IAC last couple of weeks ago in same 1993 Eclipse but I didn't see "GSX", have AWD with manual tranny. The engine looks horrible with black oily stained all over the compartment and engine/tranny. Gross.

I had this car comeback last week ago with same IAC problem, customer stated his car dies on the road, restart and runs fine. Before the engine dies, he noticed a tachometer went crazy and CHECK ENGINE light flicking as the engine sputtering then dies. He was upset with a new IAC that can't fix the problem.
I was frustrating to diagnose the driveability problem, can't find what's wrong. My old scan tool was not working with the computer. Stump me. I found a poster in iATN forum, says toasted ECM that was caused by previously IAC. I took ECM out of console, open ECM box and sniff the PC, real bad burnt electronics. I see black tracks on the PC plate and melted resistor. I was told the new ECM cost $1,400 and no available. Customer found one place that they can repair ECM for $200. I put old ECM back and released a car.
BTW... This car what I thought was 93 Mitsubishi Eclipse.... Actual 93 Eagle Talon. Same body.

Back