Alaska's "Hot Sauce Mom" Jessica Beagley spared jail time

sara1981

Reaction score
Exclusives Story

Alaska's "Hot Sauce Mom" Jessica Beagley spared jail time
Alaska's "Hot Sauce Mom" Jessica Beagley spared jail time - Crimesider - CBS News

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Jessica Beagley, an Alaska woman convicted of punishing her adopted Russian son by squirting hot sauce into his mouth, was spared immediate jail time on Monday.

Beagley, 36, was given three years of probation, a 180-day suspended jail sentence and a $2,500 fine - also suspended - after she was convicted last week of misdemeanor child abuse. Prosecutors said she used a videotape of herself punishing the 7-year-old boy as a ploy to get on the "Dr. Phil" TV show.

Beagley submitted the eight-minute tape for a show segment titled "Mommy Confessions." She said the boy had lied about getting into trouble at school.

After squirting hot sauce in the boy's mouth for lying, she also punished him with a cold shower.

Prosecutor Cynthia Franklin rejected the contention that Beagley was trying to get help for her son through the television show. She said Beagley was experienced at setting up counseling sessions. The punishment of the child on tape, she said, was a gratuitous act aimed at getting herself on television.

Franklin recommended a sentence of 360 days and a requirement for Beagley to serve 30 days behind bars as a deterrent to other parents.

During the trial, Franklin told the jury it wasn't Beagley's first attempt. After seeing a segment in April 2009 titled "Angry Moms," she contacted the show but heard nothing for a year and a half, Franklin said.

The show eventually called to find out if Beagley was still angry, she said. Beagley submitted audition videos in which she yelled at the boy, but producers said they needed to see her actually punishing her son, the prosecutor said.

That's when Beagley got the video camera ready, made sure there was enough hot sauce on the shelf in the bathroom, and recruited her 10-year-old daughter to shoot the video, Franklin said.

Days later, Beagley was headed to Los Angeles to tape the show that first aired Nov. 17. The episode sparked public outrage in Russia, with some people demanding the boy and his twin brother be returned to their native country.

never punish their adopt son for drink hot sauce that no excuse! But mom should charges laws!

Alaska Mom Who Punished Son with Hot Sauce Gets Probation
Jessica Beagley Gets Probation for Hot Sauce Punishment : People.com

The Alaska mother convicted of disciplining her 7-year-old for misbehaving in school by pouring hot sauce down his throat and then giving him a cold shower – all the time videotaping what she was doing so she could be considered for an appearance on Dr. Phil – will not be jailed or charged a fine.

Although found guilty of one misdemeanor count of child abuse by an Anchorage jury on Aug. 24, Jessica Beagley was ordered on Monday to continue attending counseling sessions with the son she abused and received three years' probation, reports the Anchorage Daily News.

Her 180-day jail sentence and $2,500 fine were both suspended. Beagley, 36, faced a potential $10,000 fine and up to one year in prison.

"You're not a danger to the public," District Court Judge David Wallace told her at sentencing, says the paper. "I think you committed a one-time act to get on a TV show."

Pleading for leniency and speaking haltingly, Beagley told the judge: "My most important job in this life is of being a mother. I would ask that the court would allow me to be that. To be that mother that I would like to be, to not disrupt the lives of my children any more than has been already."

Tearfully, she also said, as seen in a clip from the courtroom aired on NBC, "Please know that everything that has been said and done was in the best interest of my children, because I love them."

Beagley initially contacted the Dr. Phil show after seeing a segment in April 2009 called "Angry Moms." A year and a half later, she was contacted by the show and asked if she was "still angry."

Her response was to send a tape of her yelling at her kids, but the show reportedly said it needed to see her punishing her children. That's when she reputedly had her 10-year-old daughter (the Beagleys have six children) videotape the incidents with the hot sauce and cold shower.

The Beagley son in the tape, Kristoff, was adopted from Russia with his twin brother in 2008. Prosecutors said the boy is now teased in school over the incident, which was first aired on Dr. Phil in November 2010.

Jessica Beagley's husband, Gary, is an Anchorage police officer. He defended his wife, saying that Kristoff has a special problem – Reactive Attachment Disorder – and the parents didn't know how to handle him, reports the Daily News.

"We just ended up getting wrapped up in television and we had no idea where that would end up," said Gary.

You think her situation is terrible!!
In Houston, a jury wanted to give two boys that were street racing and killed a family of three probation. But the judge over-rules the jury and gives the two boys 90 days in jail.
N I N T Y D A Y S for three murders!! Now that is terrible.

Ok, wait a minute... it's a crime to punish a lying child by putting hot sauce in his mouth? I think it sounds right! Better than getting soap in my mouth!

Wirelessly posted

I think its kinda dumb to be punished by law for putting hot sauce in mouth and cold shower. They should focus on punishing the true offender like sex abuse and molestation that happen to probably 1 in 3 females

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I saw part of the video and it was very disturbing. The mother was hysterical and completely out of control. I turned it off because it was so disturbing. This woman shouldn't be allowed around children. Take the kids away.

I saw part of the video and it was very disturbing. The mother was hysterical and completely out of control. I turned it off because it was so disturbing. This woman shouldn't be allowed around children. Take the kids away.

I am sorry but I'd rather take hot sauce and cold shower over being grounded for a week or spanked.

Kids' taste buds are much, much more sensitive than adults. What might be moderately hot for adults may feel really hot for a child. Hot sauce and cold showers are unacceptable forms of consequences. It's abuse. Discipline should be about teaching, not hurting.

Netrox, did you see the video? If not, take a look. Scary mom and tortured kid.

No kid should ever be tramaized like this...it's somehing that more than likely the kid will always remember, and bring it up to the parents as he becomes older, and the kid will be bitter about it...

There are so many other ways to discipline a child. such as taking away things he/she enjoys doing for a few days to a week. That has always worked for me and I've raised 3 boys by myself.

Will someone please take a big bottle of the hottest sauce they can find and pour it down this woman's throat for me? Then pour down a box of salt....she won't be running her mouth off on the Dr. Phil show anymore after that.

In Houston, a jury wanted to give two boys that were street racing and killed a family of three probation. But the judge over-rules the jury and gives the two boys 90 days in jail.

Um, a murder is a premeditated killing. However, killing someone while street racing is not a form of premeditated killing. Rather, it would be vehicular manslaughter, which is incredibly irresponsible and easily preventable.

Try to not use the word, murder too loosely. You're putting people's lives in vain.

I agree completely. My first thought was, "Who the hell assessed this woman and determined she was fit to adopt?" Since it was on overseas adoption, she probably didn't get assessed at all.

No kid should ever be tramaized like this...it's somehing that more than likely the kid will always remember, and bring it up to the parents as he becomes older, and the kid will be bitter about it...

There are so many other ways to discipline a child. such as taking away things he/she enjoys doing for a few days to a week. That has always worked for me and I've raised 3 boys by myself.

Will someone please take a big bottle of the hottest sauce they can find and pour it down this woman's throat for me? Then pour down a box of salt....she won't be running her mouth off on the Dr. Phil show anymore after that.

After looking at the video, this kid no doubt had a good reason for lying.

I wasn't able to watch all of it either even though I couldn't understand anything. The woman should not be with kids.

what? I was SO expecting you to beat me up! :lol:

:giggle:...Realllly?....OK...I'm taking away ur computer...ur OFF the Internet for 1 week!...And no TV !...Read a book, deep-clean ur room, whatever!...But ur grounded for 1 week!...And I better not see you back on AD for a week, Netrox....and a fore-thought...no VP either!

:giggle:...Realllly?....OK...I'm taking away ur computer...ur OFF the Internet for 1 week!...And no TV !...Read a book, deep-clean ur room, whatever!...But ur grounded for 1 week!...And I better not see you back on AD for a week, Netrox....and a fore-thought...no VP either!

I think you should have him drink Habanero hot sauce for good measure.

:lol: i am now eating wasabi rice... YOUCH!!!!!!!burns my tthoat!!! I LOVE IT!

:topic:

Ok, wait a minute... it's a crime to punish a lying child by putting hot sauce in his mouth? I think it sounds right! Better than getting soap in my mouth!

:lol: I agree!

Wirelessly posted

I think its kinda dumb to be punished by law for putting hot sauce in mouth and cold shower. They should focus on punishing the true offender like sex abuse and molestation that happen to probably 1 in 3 females

You really didnt have to bring that up. Just stay with the topic.

The mother is a nutcase. I hope I dont get hell for calling her a nutcase. You know who you are.

Back