Accessibility on an airplane

... We've been assigned to separate rows before, even after booking seats together -- which I think is ridiculous, she was 5 at the time....
That's awful! I hope that you were able to change seats to be together before the flight took off.

I flew Delta. Of course, it doesn't mean all Delta flights have the TVs, etc.

I did send Delta an email telling them I appreciated the FA acknowledging me (that I was deaf per the manifest) and for the safety instructions being on the TV w/CC.

I also asked them to not send out wheelchairs for the deaf. :giggle: (this was discussed in another thread).

:lol:

that was me. We got wheelchairs waiting for us in New Orleans... or was it Charlotte? I don't remember.

For those who fly... When the flight attendants are doing their speel about oxygen masks, emergency exits etc., how do you get the information? I tried to ask the flight attendant, and she didn't have an answer for me. Knowing what to do in an emergency is important, so what do you do?

yea I simply read the laminated instructional guide. I still do this every time I fly. not sure why but I guess it's a force of habit or something :dunno:

Simply watch passenger next to you and see what they do. I've flew few times and I've never seen the need of using oxygen mask.

you'll need an oxygen mask if the plane got depressurized at high altitude. the air is very thin up there and you will pass out. you may or may not be able to wake up if your brain was oxygen-deprived for more than few minutes.

yea I simply read the laminated instructional guide. I still do this every time I fly. not sure why but I guess it's a force of habit or something :dunno:

same here. couple of weeks ago, i still read the instructional guide and showed it to my kids. yea it IS a force of habit.

:lol:

that was me. We got wheelchairs waiting for us in New Orleans... or was it Charlotte? I don't remember.

I think they had one for me in SLC, but since I didn't check in a the gate, they had no clue as to where I was. Poor girl was walking around with an empty wheelchair.

So essentially the individual needs to seek out the information on their own. That makes sense. It would be nice if they would just write out what they say every time, but most if that information can be received if they look at the card. I forgot about that.

People, whether hearing, deaf, blind, short, tall, etc should always be proactive about their personal safety. On public transport (plane, train, bus, etc) that means making sure that we know how to handle emergencies that may happen.

Because we know, as hoh and deaf people, that we may not understand verbal safety instructions - it's OUR responsibility to take appropriate steps (in advance) to make sure that we have access to that information. In most cases this means simply notifying the airlines (etc) that we are hoh/deaf and will require a visual mode of acquiring needed safety information.

Airlines, and most places have alternative information delivery systems - it's our job to make sure we request them - just as it's a low vision/blind individual's responsibility to inform them if they require braille or additional spoken instructions.

We have to be our own, best advocate - informing businesses of our needs, and if needed, suggesting reasonable (and simple) accommodations they can put in place to make things accessible to us.

Simply watch passenger next to you and see what they do.

If he flaps his tongue, makes monkey sounds, and takes the oxygen mask and wraps it around his neck to hang himself, are you going to do the same?

:ugh3:

yes, I am joking....

I always just studied the big cards they usually have in the back of the seat you are facing. That told me everything I really needed to know.

Yes, but when they gesture towards the seat you don't know they are saying it can be used as a floatation device unless you already knew that information. That's one example that popped in my head.

There is a card in the seat pocket that has the same info

When i fly i refuse to wear my HA's because of all the noise (sign and writing notes only as i dont like talking without them)so i note that im deaf on the booking, Only once out of many flights has a flight attendent came over to me with a written note about the emergency exits. Once on a seperate flight the flight attendents told my partner that she had to be my "carer" in case of emergency but never explained to me what to do.

I always just studied the big cards they usually have in the back of the seat you are facing. That told me everything I really needed to know.

It tells you about general info which is good, but that laminated card doesn't help with mid flight emergencies or rough landings as Grendel pointed out. It's those communications that got me thinking. What if there was an emergency and the person was flying on their own. How would that information be conveyed? I realize it's not often that there are mid flight emergencies, but they do happen.

When i fly i refuse to wear my HA's because of all the noise (sign and writing notes only as i dont like talking without them)so i note that im deaf on the booking, Only once out of many flights has a flight attendent came over to me with a written note about the emergency exits. Once on a seperate flight the flight attendents told my partner that she had to be my "carer" in case of emergency but never explained to me what to do.

LOL. When I asked the flight attendant, she told me if the person wasn't able to communicate (in English obviously) they would need to bring along a caretaker. I laughed at the comment. I don't think she meant it in a patronizing way, but more a lack of understanding. I really think the airlines need to get some sort of communication system in place for their d/Deaf consumers.

People, whether hearing, deaf, blind, short, tall, etc should always be proactive about their personal safety. On public transport (plane, train, bus, etc) that means making sure that we know how to handle emergencies that may happen.

Because we know, as hoh and deaf people, that we may not understand verbal safety instructions - it's OUR responsibility to take appropriate steps (in advance) to make sure that we have access to that information. In most cases this means simply notifying the airlines (etc) that we are hoh/deaf and will require a visual mode of acquiring needed safety information.

Airlines, and most places have alternative information delivery systems - it's our job to make sure we request them - just as it's a low vision/blind individual's responsibility to inform them if they require braille or additional spoken instructions.

We have to be our own, best advocate - informing businesses of our needs, and if needed, suggesting reasonable (and simple) accommodations they can put in place to make things accessible to us.

I wholly agree with what you're saying. However, we checked the box that my son was deaf but it seemed more for informational purposes. He didn't even have a wheelchair waiting for him :(

I wholly agree with what you're saying. However, we checked the box that my son was deaf but it seemed more for informational purposes. He didn't even have a wheelchair waiting for him :(

That's a good sign actually. Which airlines was this? Just curious.
And maybe because you were with him (I'm assuming you flew with him), they didn't think they needed to acknowledge it.

They could tell from his information that he is a small child. It's good that they just treated him like any small child who would be taken care of by his parents.

That's a good sign actually. Which airlines was this? Just curious.
And maybe because you were with him (I'm assuming you flew with him), they didn't think they needed to acknowledge it.

I was joking about the wheelchair.

They could tell from his information that he is a small child. It's good that they just treated him like any small child who would be taken care of by his parents.

Yes, I see what you're saying. I'm just concerned with the big picture. Those important communications that can take place mid flight. How do they get that information to their deaf consumers?

Back