Accessibility on an airplane

I don't think having a "caregiver" should be necessary.

Agreed! Heck, they allow fairly small *children* to fly alone, but not allow an *adult* to fly alone without a "caregiver" just because they are Deaf/HOH?! Ridiculous! :thumbd:

There seems to be no accommodation available for emergency situations and I can't think of a solution that could be implemented, either, aside from traveling with a terp.

I'm thinking through so many other situations, too, in which the communication is only provided through spoken language: the flight information and announcements at the start (schedule updates, sequence of events in the cabin, inflight requirements), weather and connection updates given throughout the flight, de-boarding announcements, including connection gates/connecting flight info., visa instructions, the varying directions given depending upon whether you are flying domestically or internationally. And then once off the plane, there are always so many announcements that are given over the PA -- changes that don't appear on the board right away.

I think if you fly to areas with high population of differing languages the FAs have to be fluent in all (or at least one does). Like to Haiti, FAs are usually required to be fluent in French, the official language, but also in Spanish and English, and often in Haitian Creole, too. Too bad ASL isn't in use by more people, if so I'd think we might start seeing airlines include an ASL requirement for at least one staff member on every flight.

I remembering reading a news article about accommodation as described in this NAD article on their web site:

NAD Comments on Accessibility of Airline/Airport Websites and Kiosks | National Association of the Deaf

More going on:

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2011/dot12611.html

So, some accommodation is actually being done in some airports. I wasn't able to google the new article that I read many months ago. :( So, that is a good thing coming. Also, our local commuter trains (BART) out here are now being required to use their displays that tell the time, what train is coming, how long 'til arrival, will also carry any announcements as to delays, or instructions to take another train because one is taken out of schedule due to breakdown, and transfer at an upcoming station, etc. So, things are developing, which is good.

But none of the above address communications issues once in flight or once the train is moving...so that is still a major issue. :hmm:

Just thought of something! It has been years since I have flown so I don't know if this is practical or not; but could the same screen that is used for in flight movies be used for in flight announcements? I realize if voice recognition was use for last minute things there would be the usual out of context words but wouldn’t the meaning of most still get through?

Just thought of something! It has been years since I have flown so I don't know if this is practical or not; but could the same screen that is used for in flight movies be used for in flight announcements? I realize if voice recognition was use for last minute things there would be the usual out of context words but wouldn’t the meaning of most still get through?

That's a good idea for those who have access to movies in flight (just first class passengers, right?). And why not in each section of the plane, mount such a screen? Good idea! :yesway: Also, if they are using the horrible voice recognition software as on YouTube, no, the meaning would *not* necessarily get through. :(

I fly frequently for business trips. When I purchase a ticket, I usually let them know that I am deaf. I haven't had any problems yet.

One time, I flew Southwest, and let a flight attendant know that I am deaf. During the flight, he approached me to ask me if I go to a city in particular. I replied, and he informed me that I have to get on a different plane after we land, because of some non official schedule problem came up. The passengers and I had to get off the plane at an airport to go to another plane. We were able to get home on time.

You have to tell at least two flight attendants that you are deaf. One flight attendant may be busy doing something else in different area of the plane. Telling two flight attendants is better than one. Also, you have an opportunity to ask them to let you know if any situation comes up. Just approach flight attendants.

I emailed my cousin who happens to fly for Delta airlines. He said that if a customer informs them at the gate or when purchasing the tickets that you are deaf or hard of hearing, then they are required to make sure that alternative measures are taken regarding flight instructions in the cabin. HE doesn't understand why they would have a wheelchair for a deaf/hoh person, but maybe when the ticket was purchased, the employee just hit the key for disabled instead of special circumstances. He also states that they do not require a "caregiver" for anyone deaf/hoh. In the event of an emergency, then the flight attendants are supposed to make sure the deaf/hoh person understands what is needed. In most cases, they have a laminated card for the emergency. Special cases would require other measures.

Back