ABC Cards

Re: ABC cards for sale. I fingerspelled I am DEAF-seemed the gentleman had no idea what I had just done I just smiled and walked away. A useful exercise in the future to anyone trying to sell you-ABC cards.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Good point. Thanks for the tip.

Years ago, sometime between 1990 and 1996, we had a local news reporter from our local newspaper go out and spent one month as a "homeless" person to do an in-depth report. What he found out was really eye-opening. I realize that with this recession and the economy being in the toilet right now it might not be the same. He found that about 1/2 to 2/3 of the people actually had their own homes, paid off. They had money in the bank and had money to spare. They just went out to "beg" since they could rake in $200-$500 a week. This reporter basically, would not shower all weekend or shave, then get some old ripped up clothes that also stank, and stood on various intersections around town. He managed to rake in $300 in his first week. By the end of his month doing this, he had gotten $1700 all in cash, and 55 free coupon books for McDonals'd and Burger King. After reading that article, I stopped helping out anyone unless it is a person that I personally know.

Years ago, sometime between 1990 and 1996, we had a local news reporter from our local newspaper go out and spent one month as a "homeless" person to do an in-depth report. What he found out was really eye-opening. I realize that with this recession and the economy being in the toilet right now it might not be the same. He found that about 1/2 to 2/3 of the people actually had their own homes, paid off. They had money in the bank and had money to spare. They just went out to "beg" since they could rake in $200-$500 a week. This reporter basically, would not shower all weekend or shave, then get some old ripped up clothes that also stank, and stood on various intersections around town. He managed to rake in $300 in his first week. By the end of his month doing this, he had gotten $1700 all in cash, and 55 free coupon books for McDonals'd and Burger King. After reading that article, I stopped helping out anyone unless it is a person that I personally know.

Yea, my mom told me not to give money to those who are begging but give money to the orgranizations instead because of that very reason. Another is that the money could be spent on their addictions whether it is alcohol or booze.

I have a card i just realized what they were. My mom gave to me because she said she had trouble learning the alaphbet. I think they could be used as a tool really when you are trying to learn ASL. I've read your replies and everything but i just think they are a good resource. I'm left handed and so its almost diffcult for me to remember to not use my left hand when signing. I can see where ppl are with beggers and totally agree. Sometime this summer i watched a 3 part series put on by one of my local news channel where the reporter pretended to be a panhandler for a different reason then stated above(this reporter was trying to show why the mayor was trying to stop the beggers in the city and give them the right resources). so i understand ur frustration with the cards. But in my opinion they could be a learning tool.

ABC cards are for Fingerspelling words-letter by letter. Kind of slow- to say the least.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

yes fingerspelling is slow but there are some words that don't have a sign or they are just easier to fingerspell. and ur name for sure is fingerspelled if you don't know ASL but know the alapbhbet then you could use fingerspelling. Now I just use lipreading. People don't realize that I am lipreading when they are talking because I am only HOH but sometimes when people are just too low I lipread but to say in the least fingerspelling is slow and hard when trying to have a converstation.

I have a card i just realized what they were. My mom gave to me because she said she had trouble learning the alaphbet. I think they could be used as a tool really when you are trying to learn ASL. I've read your replies and everything but i just think they are a good resource. I'm left handed and so its almost diffcult for me to remember to not use my left hand when signing. I can see where ppl are with beggers and totally agree. Sometime this summer i watched a 3 part series put on by one of my local news channel where the reporter pretended to be a panhandler for a different reason then stated above(this reporter was trying to show why the mayor was trying to stop the beggers in the city and give them the right resources). so i understand ur frustration with the cards. But in my opinion they could be a learning tool.

Why stop yourself from signing with your left hand? I've known many people that are left handed and do all of their fingerspelling with their left hand. I even switch hands if I feel like it.

I had the same question as Cheetah. I am a 'southpaw' and sign with my left hand all the time (unless I am driving, then use right hand, easier for passenger to see).

Found out that at my Deaf church, we have 5 left-handed signers.

I just thought that its more commonly known to use right hand when signing. I'll keep that in mind thanks everyone! but the thing is L and C are backwards with your left hand. right?

I just thought that its more commonly known to use right hand when signing. I'll keep that in mind thanks everyone! but the thing is L and C are backwards with your left hand. right?

'L' is the letter L no matter if you use your left hand or your right hand. Same with 'C'. They are quite distinctive unless you have an inability to make the hand shapes clearly. Or, you just need to practice making the letters more distinctive. When you get faster/smoother, you will see that the individual letters become less important as the "shape" of the word is what people see. I sometimes finger spell a word out to see if I am spelling it correctly as it feels different if I spell it wrong (only works with a word I am familiar with).

It's only more common because righties are more common in the world than lefties ;-). When I first started school (oh so many years ago!), my teacher tried to get me to change to writing with my right hand - it was a huge struggle for me and my parents went and spoke to the teacher to say, "She is left-handed, let her write that way." Years later, when I took my first ASL class (and subsequent ones), not one teacher tried - or even suggested- I sign right-handed. Oh happy day! :wiggle:

I've been told to face my palm forward when I sign C. So it wouldn't be "backwards" either way, because it doesn't really look like a C to the observer.

My right hand cannot make all the letter shapes correctly, and I am right dominant ambidextrous ... I sign left handed got told by a Deafie that it was 'wrong, bad, rude' - after she asked which hand I write with... think I have a post here somewhere about it.

I just looked confused between manual and signed english we were doing well and I was about 12-14.

:dunno:
My right hand cannot make all the letter shapes correctly, and I am right dominant ambidextrous ... I sign left handed got told by a Deafie that it was 'wrong, bad, rude' - after she asked which hand I write with... think I have a post here somewhere about it.

I just looked confused between manual and signed english we were doing well and I was about 12-14.

I'm not sure how you are signing... but if you are doing something like fingerspelling a word and switch hands in the middle of a word or for just one letter that is challenging it can be very confusing. I've told stories with different characters and switched hands based on which character I was doing. :dunno:

:dunno:

I'm not sure how you are signing... but if you are doing something like fingerspelling a word and switch hands in the middle of a word or for just one letter that is challenging it can be very confusing. I've told stories with different characters and switched hands based on which character I was doing. :dunno:

No I only sign left handed.
Aside> I'd love to see your stories. I love RPG and storytelling.

I've been told to face my palm forward when I sign C. So it wouldn't be "backwards" either way, because it doesn't really look like a C to the observer.

Thats what i mean when signing with the left hand. I was at a recent meeting with my team of workers Thursday to be exact and the guy handed me an electronic pen and it said it was switched for ppl who are right handed and i said sorry im left handed and he goes oh cool im left handed too then everyone laughed when i said us lefties are rare and we are more creative and that made the meeting more interesting. I don't have to sign with my workers but i want to for practise. I use my right hand to sign words when i remember and fingerspell stuff with the left because its more natural.

I'm not quite understanding the ABC cards with homeless people. I don't understand that, How does that relate to us really? and honestly i never heard about this before. Nobody really told me what this was all about.

I'm not quite understanding the ABC cards with homeless people. I don't understand that, How does that relate to us really? and honestly i never heard about this before. Nobody really told me what this was all about.

so, you have never had a supposedly deaf person walk up to you and try to give you an ABC card? I have. Most of those people are not even deaf. It's fun to start signing to them and watch them run away. At the same time It's really sad too.

so, you have never had a supposedly deaf person walk up to you and try to give you an ABC card? I have. Most of those people are not even deaf. It's fun to start signing to them and watch them run away. At the same time It's really sad too.

One time in NYC, I had a Mormon guy try to prothesize to me (had never had that happen before) and then two seconds later I ran into an ABC card seller! Too funny!

Back