A Techie Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

So sorry for your loss. May your laptop RIP.

Okay - got another BSOD. I sent Naisho an email and I am posting it here as well.

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
***STOP 0X0000003B (I didn't write out the rest as I broke the lead on the pencil and my desk is a mess.)

Did that happen after all the updates finish and going into reboot..and soon after this you got BSOD?

Okay - got another BSOD. I sent Naisho an email and I am posting it here as well.

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
***STOP 0X0000003B (I didn't write out the rest as I broke the lead on the pencil and my desk is a mess.)

StarTrekFacePalm.gif

Did that happen after all the updates finish and going into reboot..and soon after this you got BSOD?

108 of the 109 updates installed. I got the notice to reboot, but I was holding it as Microsoft Security Essentials was also it's first scan after installation. At the end of the scan, it went to the BSOD. I was online at both FB and AD when it happened.

Subsequent email with Naisho, he thinks it may be hardware, but not sure what. I am only going to re-install one thing a day and see what happens. I will keep track of what is being installed.

What I'd like to know is, Is there anyway, I can get a listing of the crashes I have? You know, like some kind of listing of all these STOP codes I get aftrer they occur.

108 of the 109 updates installed. I got the notice to reboot, but I was holding it as Microsoft Security Essentials was also it's first scan after installation. At the end of the scan, it went to the BSOD. I was online at both FB and AD when it happened.

Subsequent email with Naisho, he thinks it may be hardware, but not sure what. I am only going to re-install one thing a day and see what happens. I will keep track of what is being installed.

What I'd like to know is, Is there anyway, I can get a listing of the crashes I have? You know, like some kind of listing of all these STOP codes I get aftrer they occur.

Wait, before you do all that, did you download video graphic drivers directly from Acer support site? Since all the update including video driver are diretly from Microsoft... so you may want to try to get it from Acer.

Wait, before you do all that, did you download video graphic drivers directly from Acer support site? Since all the update including video driver are diretly from Microsoft... so you may want to try to get it from Acer.

Naisho had me install the drivers from NIVIDIA that I had before.

Acer didn't seem to have anything for this as it's old.

Naisho had me install the drivers from NIVIDIA that I had before.

Acer didn't seem to have anything for this as it's old.

ok, since you have desktop, the only best solution is to buy cheap graphic card, cheaper than getting upgrade Windows 7, and disable on board graphic (meaning the graphic hardware built in the motherboard and turn it off) then you can plug in the new graphic card. What I'm saying if you want to save your desktop instead of getting whole new desktop you know? So, this confguration may go way over your head... If I'm your next door neighbor (if you let me join you for Hot tub) I will be glad to do all that.

Edited: Forgot to add one more thing, getting Windows 7 upgrade may have same problem so that is why I'm saying about getting new graphic card to plug it into the motherboard... so... or trash the desktop...either way.

and one additional thing that Hard drive sleep mode was set at 20 minutes, I disable it. HD going to sleep is one of the culprit of getting into BSOD.

Have just set this back to never with the new install.

Newest update here. I totally forgot that I had an old USB hub plugged into the CPU. this thing is about 8 years old and I paid no more than $10 for it. I moved the USB cables to the ports in the CPU and have removed the hub. I may think about getting a newer and better one soon.

Newest update here. I totally forgot that I had an old USB hub plugged into the CPU. this thing is about 8 years old and I paid no more than $10 for it. I moved the USB cables to the ports in the CPU and have removed the hub. I may think about getting a newer and better one soon.

I believed you missed my post.

http://www.alldeaf.com/2026403-post381.html

Try unplugged all USBs or other as webcam, scanner, printer, keyboard, mouse,USB flash,digital camera, usb extension hdd, etc, it's very rare that bad devices cause BSOD. I hope you have extra keyboard/mouse. If no problem found then.

Okay - so that may not be it. I do not have another keyboard or mouse. These came with CPU, but I could get new if I needed to. the webcam has never had a problem and is a good one. It is a Logitech WebCam Pro 9000. Not sure if it could be the external hard drive, but it's never had a problem before. I can always run tests on it. Right? Other than that, the only other things plugged into the CPU are the router/modem I got after these issues started, my speakers, monitor (obviously) and I think that's it. the printer is wireless, so no cable there. I also just this evening installed drivers and got the wireless part working. It had been connected by USB, but not now.

Okay - so that may not be it. I do not have another keyboard or mouse. These came with CPU, but I could get new if I needed to. the webcam has never had a problem and is a good one. It is a Logitech WebCam Pro 9000. Not sure if it could be the external hard drive, but it's never had a problem before. I can always run tests on it. Right? Other than that, the only other things plugged into the CPU are the router/modem I got after these issues started, my speakers, monitor (obviously) and I think that's it. the printer is wireless, so no cable there. I also just this evening installed drivers and got the wireless part working. It had been connected by USB, but not now.

Just try unplugged everything USB and see what's happen in few hours to few days. Speaker and monitor won't cause BSOD like that because they are output only. USB is two ways communications.

Okay. Had a doozy of problems today and I have spent most of it in Safe Mode with Networking. Now, I am back in regular mode with only the following plugged in: Monitor, ethernet cable, mouse and keyboard. Unplugged is: My Book external hard drive, P3 flashing light, speakers, and webcam (Logitech Webcam Pro 9000).

We will see how this goes and try different things.

Okay - got another and Naisho is of the opinion that I need to think about replacing hardware.

Will post 3 messages and see what you all might advise.
From Naisho:
Probably best to start diagnosing what is the cause, in my guess it's likely hardware related at this point.

- PSU/motherboard combo could be a culprit. PSU giving bad draw or crapping out, or the motherboard is.
- Ran memtest for ~9 hours for 2 sticks (2GBx2) DDR2, all passes with no errors. But it's still possible a single could have problems
- Hard drive, I never tested if it has problems.
- Uses onboard video card. The model number is acer x1700-u3700a which uses the nForce 630i chipset and GeForce 7100 onboard.

One problem is that the system is SFF type PC, so everything is microATX. If she were to buy a video card, it'd need to be low profile. I'm thinking the PSU is also micro size too, which, in other words these parts can be more expensive due to the smaller form.

It would be easier if you had random parts lying around to swap, such as the PSU, video card, or memory, but having none of those it's hard to know which direction to suggest for a purchase.

From me:
Okay - first off, I only have the mouse, keyboard, monitor, CPU and router/modem ethernet cable plugged in. WebCam, P3 Flasher, Speakers and My Book external Hard Drive are all disconnected from CPU.

All was going well last night and this morning. Today, I was online at AD, FB and my Gmail. I also played Spider Solitaire. My husband was was on MonsterJobs.com, BassTracker.con, and some other bass boat websites (against my orders). My mother sat down to play regular solitaire and when she went to exit, she got the BSOD.

Here are the codes and such: I will not put in all the zeros, I will put them in parentheses.
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
***STOP: 0X0(6)D1 (0x0(16), 0x0(15)2, 0x0(15)1, 0xFFFFFA6002C6800D)
***nvlddmkm.sys - address FFFFFA6002C6800D base at FFFFFA6002C01000 datestamp 469f39fc

From Naisho:
Unfortunately, I don't think there is much now you can do unless you start getting replacement parts to trial and error to see what could be the cause. It is probably very likely hardware, you can try getting an opinion from other AD'ers but I think we might all going to agree the same in the end.

I sort of write a rundown for you in a previous emails over how much parts would cost. If you were to replace everything completely except the motherboard, it would probably run you $100-200 in parts, either used, new old stock or new or a combination of them all.

At this point, unless something comes up, we will try and plan to buy a new computer. We can lat my daughter use this until it dies totally, or possibly get it fixed. We will see.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their efforts and help. :ty:

Okay - got another and Naisho is of the opinion that I need to think about replacing hardware.

Will post 3 messages and see what you all might advise.
From Naisho:
Probably best to start diagnosing what is the cause, in my guess it's likely hardware related at this point.

- PSU/motherboard combo could be a culprit. PSU giving bad draw or crapping out, or the motherboard is.
- Ran memtest for ~9 hours for 2 sticks (2GBx2) DDR2, all passes with no errors. But it's still possible a single could have problems
- Hard drive, I never tested if it has problems.
- Uses onboard video card. The model number is acer x1700-u3700a which uses the nForce 630i chipset and GeForce 7100 onboard.

One problem is that the system is SFF type PC, so everything is microATX. If she were to buy a video card, it'd need to be low profile. I'm thinking the PSU is also micro size too, which, in other words these parts can be more expensive due to the smaller form.

It would be easier if you had random parts lying around to swap, such as the PSU, video card, or memory, but having none of those it's hard to know which direction to suggest for a purchase.

From me:
Okay - first off, I only have the mouse, keyboard, monitor, CPU and router/modem ethernet cable plugged in. WebCam, P3 Flasher, Speakers and My Book external Hard Drive are all disconnected from CPU.

All was going well last night and this morning. Today, I was online at AD, FB and my Gmail. I also played Spider Solitaire. My husband was was on MonsterJobs.com, BassTracker.con, and some other bass boat websites (against my orders). My mother sat down to play regular solitaire and when she went to exit, she got the BSOD.

Here are the codes and such: I will not put in all the zeros, I will put them in parentheses.
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
***STOP: 0X0(6)D1 (0x0(16), 0x0(15)2, 0x0(15)1, 0xFFFFFA6002C6800D)
***nvlddmkm.sys - address FFFFFA6002C6800D base at FFFFFA6002C01000 datestamp 469f39fc

From Naisho:
Unfortunately, I don't think there is much now you can do unless you start getting replacement parts to trial and error to see what could be the cause. It is probably very likely hardware, you can try getting an opinion from other AD'ers but I think we might all going to agree the same in the end.

I sort of write a rundown for you in a previous emails over how much parts would cost. If you were to replace everything completely except the motherboard, it would probably run you $100-200 in parts, either used, new old stock or new or a combination of them all.

Hard drive, I never tested if it has problems.

Why not, Bad hard drive can cause files corrupted then BSOD.

Naisho, How about bios firmware update?

So I guess it's bad motherboard due chipset failed? Around $70 for motherboard with built-on video and around $60 for power supply.

Not worth to replace the hardware since they are outdated and old hardware is little more expensive than new hardware. Like newer RAM DDR3 is cheap than outdated RAM DDR2.

Why not, Bad hard drive can cause files corrupted then BSOD.

Naisho, How about bios firmware update?

So I guess it's bad motherboard due chipset failed? Around $70 for motherboard with built-on video and around $60 for power supply.

Not worth to replace the hardware since they are outdated and old hardware is little more expensive than new hardware. Like newer RAM DDR3 is cheap than outdated RAM DDR2.

We did do a chdsk for the internal hard drive and no errors or bad sectors. I know SneakerNet and Naisho both got that going for me.

So, we did the memtest for the RAM: fine, chdsk for the internal hard drive: fine, redid all the NVIDIA drivers, and cleaned the internal hard drive, reformatted and re-installed a clean copy of the OS that was downloaded from a website Naisho found. I have unplugged everything with the exception of the webcam, P3 flashing light, external hard drive and speakers.

Today, I got another 2 BSOD's and they both said something about "Memory_Management" at the top.

Now, for a little background here. The CPU is sitting on a lower shelf of my desk down by the floor. the carpeting is very old. I vacuum as much as possible and I still have to clean massive amounts of dust from around the desk every other day. I was advised by Best Buy's Geek Squad to use canned air to blow out the vent holes and the back of the CPU often. I have never had to do this, as I know when you blow that canned air like that, it can only go inside. Now, I feel like I might have tons of dust inside and I'm not sure how to clean it out. I had one other computer that totally died because the power supply got so filled with the dust it burned out.

Could this be a problem and how do I fix that?

I just plugged everything back in as they didn't seem to be the problem. I will be running some scans on both the hard drives and possibly the defrag as well. Figure it can't hurt. I will also have my Microsoft Security Essentials scan the external hard drive. It does the internal drive weekly.

Back