A Techie Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

I found security torx another store and I open console my playstation 3 and now i know why the disc won't take cd, my son did put a toy from arby's and he put it in disc :lol:.
8312965c.jpg

lol "Work Hard Work Hard Work Hard"

I found security torx another store and I open console my playstation 3 and now i know why the disc won't take cd, my son did put a toy from arby's and he put it in disc :lol:.
8312965c.jpg

hahaha I can relate - just like the other day when the boys xbox wasnt working. found a tinkeebell movie inserted wrong side of dvd tray put there by my daughter...

Called the computer repair guys where my Acer is. They ran full diagnostics.

Hard Drive: perfect condition
RAM: no problems, perfect condition
Video chip/card: Good-perfect condition
PSU: dirty, but good condition
Motherboard: bad, corrupt - must replace.

Cost for motherboard: $89
Diagnostic tests: $79,99
Labor: $79

That's all. I will have a 2 year warranty on the motherboard. Will take them 5 days to get and I should have computer back middle of next week. Am still considering the purchase of a new computer as well.

That's all. I will have a 2 year warranty on the motherboard. Will take them 5 days to get and I should have computer back middle of next week. Am still considering the purchase of a new computer as well.

$89 for the motherboard is kind little overprice. Normal Micro ATX LGA 775 motherboards are around $54.

Diagnostic tests and labor's fee are too much. Should be around $100 for diagnostic test and labor.

Total $250 without tax for $400 computer is not great deal. :shock:

$89 for the motherboard is kind little overprice. Normal Micro ATX LGA 775 motherboards are around $54.

Diagnostic tests and labor's fee are too much. Should be around $100 for diagnostic test and labor.

Just like with cars and appliances, one has to judge whether or not it makes more sense to repair it or replace it.

For me, if a computer needs one new part, such as a hard drive, more memory, or a fan, and we can do our own labor, that's worth repairing. Much more than that, I'd have to think long and hard about. (Of course, it also depends on the original investment, age of the computer, and what's on the market now.)

A repair that costs over 50% of the original price? I don't think I'd go for that.

That's just me. :)

Yes, but still cheaper than purchase a new computer while she have other headache of expenses involved with her new home. You know, if repair cost is over 50% of the original purchase price...I would go for a new desktop but it's all depending on how she want to balance the cost.

Just like with cars and appliances, one has to judge whether or not it makes more sense to repair it or replace it.

For me, if a computer needs one new part, such as a hard drive, more memory, or a fan, and we can do our own labor, that's worth repairing. Much more than that, I'd have to think long and hard about. (Of course, it also depends on the original investment, age of the computer, and what's on the market now.)

A repair that costs over 50% of the original price? I don't think I'd go for that.

Stop copy cat me! <grin>

I am having it done basically for 2-3 reasons.

1. I don't have enough knowledge to do the work myself.
2. This will also enable my daughter to have a computer of her own. She will be working on schoolwork and helping herself with her learning disabilities.
3. We also got bad news regarding our construction abd are not sure what's going to happen now. (that will be in the other thread)

Just make sure.

A repair that costs over 50% of the original price. That's mean $250 of repair over the $500 of the computer? Correct?

Just make sure.

A repair that costs over 50% of the original price. That's mean $250 of repair over the $500 of the computer? Correct?
I thought you posted it was a $400 computer?

Anyway, $250 is more than half the cost of a $400 computer. It's exactly half the cost of a $500 computer.

yike...... my friend cried to me that Dell was going to charge her about $100 for diagnosis and removal of computer virus.

and I fixed it for free.

yike...... my friend cried to me that Dell was going to charge her about $100 for diagnosis and removal of computer virus.

and I fixed it for free.

Well, I do know that on my netbook about a year or so ago, Naisho helped my through teamviewer to get rid of the viruses. We did a lot there, but at least it didn't cost anything then.

While $250 might be too much, and I could get another Acer for $400 or so, I do have a better hard drive than I originally had in the Acer. It came with a 500 or so GB hard drive and mine went corrupt and I now have a 1TB hard drive in it.

Also, there is the fact that with my daughter being the primary user of it, she already knows it very well. With her learning issues, she would not be able to learn a new system easily.

Yahoo!!!!! Great news here people!!!

I got my new computer and I am using it now. I have purchased:

HP Pavilion p6-2108p PC
AMD Dual Core E2-3200 Accelerated Processor
64-bit performance with 6GB DDR3 RAM
1TB hard drive
SuperMulti DVD Burner
AMD Radeon HD 6370D integrated graphics
HP USB keyboard & USB optical mouse
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
$419.99

HP S2031 LCD Monitor 20"
Optimum Resolution 1600 x 900 @ 60 Hz
$99.99

Logitech LS21
Logitech Stereo Speakers & Subwoofer
$31.99

I love the monitor. It is clear, easy to read and plenty big enough for me.

Yahoo!!!!! Great news here people!!!

I got my new computer and I am using it now. I have purchased:

HP Pavilion p6-2108p PC
AMD Dual Core E2-3200 Accelerated Processor
64-bit performance with 6GB DDR3 RAM
1TB hard drive
SuperMulti DVD Burner
AMD Radeon HD 6370D integrated graphics
HP USB keyboard & USB optical mouse
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
$419.99

HP S2031 LCD Monitor 20"
Optimum Resolution 1600 x 900 @ 60 Hz
$99.99

Logitech LS21
Logitech Stereo Speakers & Subwoofer
$31.99

I love the monitor. It is clear, easy to read and plenty big enough for me.

Smile, Like I said about new monitor that now you can easily see sign-language! Yes it's crisp and clear. I'm glad you got new set!!

Got it all at Office Depot. I might have been able to get the cheaper online somewhere or even cheaper if I built it myself, but I found that doing it this way was easiest and less stress for me.

I have to check out some decent YouTube videos to see how they are, but just so you know, I had a choice of VGA or DVI connections for my monitor and AshArp suggested DVI for the better graphics. Boy do I love this!!!!

Back