A question...is the Cochlear implant made for the hearing or for the deaf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
where did you get thsi crap from?
sorry you havent got a clue about me, i have freinds in the gutter, in the mountains, in the mansions, in the highrise penthouse, in an ordinary 2 story family home, in a flat...

Chill out, man, that statement is not aimed directly at you, but a general statement towards some individuals that think the world revolves around their lives.

You wanted answers, I am giving you answers.

as bolded about Ci helps you for a better situation, its this to do with comformity, or access, do es Ci makes you richer because of better jobs prospects - is this what you're implying?

Access.....yes

Do you have a job? If yes, you should know what it is like being a deaf employee in a hearing workplace.

If no, I am not going to elaborate....but I will say this: If you apply for a job, and 100 other people applied for the same job, all have the same exact skills & background, and you require an interpreter at $30 per hour for a job that pays $15 per hour, do you think the employer will put you on top of his list?

If wearing a HA or CI helps reduce the need to have a terp, that is an asset, right?

CI's costs ALOT to make and implant, and the on-going aspect of it, listening and speech training, it could be arguable that costs for terps, job accomodation, slight modification to communicate in work places, like flash alarms in installed (which should be standard for hearing people too, as noisy places), probably there is already but should be more standardised if this to make more sense, job training costs is not going to alot more, especially if the Deaf employ is capable, like why would then they be considered for work in first place?? its their skills they're selling, not their deafness

Tell me, how long have you been working for employers now? Private organizations? Governmental?

Do you really think that deaf people are entitled to work wherever they want, with all the accommodations they need?

Wirelessly posted

CI won't get ruin of deafness or magically heals it... You can have it for anything; music, chatting, workplaces, and etc. I don't think Grummer said CI don't work at all for anybody. It is clear that he said it /will not/ end the deafness if you turn your aids off...

Do you have a job? If yes, you should know what it is like being a deaf employee in a hearing workplace.

If no, I am not going to elaborate....but I will say this: If you apply for a job, and 100 other people applied for the same job, all have the same exact skills & background, and you require an interpreter at $30 per hour for a job that pays $15 per hour, do you think the employer will put you on top of his list?

If wearing a HA or CI helps reduce the need to have a terp, that is an asset, right?
Are you forgetting about EEO, Equal Employment Opportunity?

Coverage

If an employer has the required number of employees, you are protected by the anti-discrimination laws if you are:
  • An employee
  • A job applicant
  • A former employee
  • An applicant or participant in a training or apprenticeship program

the kind of discrimination alleged (for example, discrimination based on a person's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information).

Therefore, it's illegal not to hire you because you are deaf and you need an ASL interpreter required by ADA.

Are you forgetting about EEO, Equal Employment Opportunity?

Coverage

Therefore, it's illegal not to hire you because you are deaf and you need an ASL interpreter required by ADA.

Heh, that law works about as well as a gun ban. If they have 100 applicants they kind find another "reason"

Heh, that law works about as well as a gun ban. If they have 100 applicants they kind find another "reason"
Damn, it's unfair so that's one of the reasons why alot of deaf people live on SSI. Sad!

Exactly.

Discrimination is a very difficult thing to prove in hiring processes.

People are gullible if they think they are protected by EEO and ADA while looking for a job.

Wirelessly posted

CrazyPaul said:
Damn, it's unfair so that's one of the reasons why alot of deaf people live on SSI. Sad!

You know what's funny? people whines at 70-60% deafies who don't work at any career, yet they're the ones who deny deafies. someone else really shouldn't reject and go around to claim a such thing.

also, ADA is the reason that i cant trust at all...

I don't see a heart transplant as a luxury. That's a medical necessity.

its a luxuary in america as i understand, if you dont have med insurance or something like thiat, you're ****ed

Wirelessly posted

You know what's funny? people whines at 70-60% deafies who don't work at any career, yet they're the ones who deny deafies. someone else really shouldn't reject and go around to claim a such thing.

also, ADA is the reason that i cant trust at all...

you dont trust ADA? why

i suppose while im not in /from USA...something tells me that ADA is more focused on wheelchair users? or such? am i wrong or what

or that the superem court (again i not familar with us of a)...endorse what ADA can do, and can't do, its not like ADA didnt want to, its more like what ADA is TOLD they can't do that, (even though ideally they wish to be able to be more powerful?)

have i got some of this warmer??

Exactly.

Discrimination is a very difficult thing to prove in hiring processes.

People are gullible if they think they are protected by EEO and ADA while looking for a job.

...hmmmi i thnk there's more to it...that what news says...again News media are notorious of making radicals looks the enemy...

I can relate. I got a job 100 percent based on application, writing samples, and references. When I went to HR and requested a terp, they were not happy at all because the terp cost more per hour than they pay me. It was too late for them though because I had already signed all paperwork for hire. If they would of fired me, that sure they were worried that would have been an instant law suit. I lucked out because from their reaction, I'm pretty sure they would have never hired me if they realized that first. I do a good job so I still have my job luckily :)

Chill out, man, that statement is not aimed directly at you, but a general statement towards some individuals that think the world revolves around their lives.

Sorry

You wanted answers, I am giving you answers.

Access.....yes

even wearing a HA which I do, and use it all the time, i cant do formal meetings or attend lectures without an interpreter , impossible (and a note taker as i cant take eye off terps to write as i can not 'hear' along more information...

its a myth that HA is sufficient (or even CI, ive met CI users who still are essentially functioning like a HOH...which tells me, all this trouble going the CI way isnt worth it... but thats me ok

well I thnk a proper understanding of English to a greater/lesser degree and a good understadning of hearing culture (not music i mean actual general knowledge expectation to act reasonable, to take part in something fairly complex, business negotiation is a professional skills that even most hearies don't have' <== that is an asset, but to 'hear' well and not 'useful' as a person of resource for soemthing, to me isn't an asset...

so hmmm,
id would re-word your 'words' as 'more attractive' not asset, BUt again hearing people shouldn't be doing this picking out 'because they like you more since you're more like them' its like picking blacks who is lighter in skin so that look more 'acceptable as blacks'...think Halle Berry..she doesnt look that black...(but she is) and it plays on the idea of white's ideas of beauty...similarly plays on hearies ideas of deafness....they cant handle the raw real Deafies...Marlee Matin is an interesting one too, she's pretty and 'understands hearing world' but uses ASL.. to win popularity (at same time) TV stations/movies studios will use her to , win consesus of Deaf americans, and SAME time it plays on the idea of 'perfect deafies', not realy role models, but often confused as such....
hmm ok...

you dont trust ADA? why

i suppose while im not in /from USA...something tells me that ADA is more focused on wheelchair users? or such? am i wrong or what

or that the superem court (again i not familar with us of a)...endorse what ADA can do, and can't do, its not like ADA didnt want to, its more like what ADA is TOLD they can't do that, (even though ideally they wish to be able to be more powerful?)

have i got some of this warmer??

You got me pondering stuff. I think it's fairly safe to say that wheel chair users are probably easier to accommodate that deaf ones. It's not like they'd be looking for like construction or landscaping jobs or something like that. I guess it would depend on the job, but a typical office job, yeah definetly. But I think while once you've been hired, a company might be a little more leery of getting rid if you than the average employee, actually landing the job might be harder. I'm pretty sure one of my old coworkers from Massage Envy had a lot of sway getting me in at WellnessOne. He pretty much recruited me and told everybody I could lip read. He might have exaggerated that skill ;) but I do wonder if I'd have had a harder time getting hired without that in. Maybe not, because the office manager loved the massage I have her :D but u will forever wonder now.

You got me pondering stuff. I think it's fairly safe to say that wheel chair users are probably easier to accommodate that deaf ones. It's not like they'd be looking for like construction or landscaping jobs or something like that. I guess it would depend on the job, but a typical office job, yeah definetly. But I think while once you've been hired, a company might be a little more leery of getting rid if you than the average employee, actually landing the job might be harder. I'm pretty sure one of my old coworkers from Massage Envy had a lot of sway getting me in at WellnessOne. He pretty much recruited me and told everybody I could lip read. He might have exaggerated that skill ;) but I do wonder if I'd have had a harder time getting hired without that in. Maybe not, because the office manager loved the massage I have her :D but u will forever wonder now.

not "easier" to accommodate. more like "favored".

not "easier" to accommodate. more like "favored".

I don't know about that. All they need is wheel chair access, which is pretty much standard building anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back