A question...is the Cochlear implant made for the hearing or for the deaf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys you can't tell me oh I just said it just now. BEFORE that. :D With your original post Grummer, were asking if a CI is for the benefit of the or the deaf or their hearing family members? Or we're you asking about general hearies?

But given the posts in the thread it sure sounded like people were talking about general hearies. AND a deaf person will deal with a lot more hearies than just the ones in their family.

general hearies? nope! you clearly missed the point.

Not necessary for the analogy she provided. Ambrosia is talking about hearing people in her example.

OK if she wants to talk about hearing people and how they can acquire different languages, fine but I was talking about deaf people.

This thread is about whether CIs are beneficial for hearing people or for deaf people. I stated my opinion because why was it originally invented? Because most hearing people in the deaf person`s life won't learn ASL and they can easily learn it while it is much harder for deaf people to speak and understand spoken languages due to not being able to hear.

U talked about Spanish speaking people and how my reasoning was wonky. Ummm OK... sure.

No you just said the hearing people can learn ASL but they won't oh well. I didn't even have to go back and look, I remember what you said.

You didn't specify which hearing people, just said THE. My analogy and point actually made perfect sense, but since you don't get it, and probably won't give any thought to it so you won't.....that whole can't think outside the box thing ;) I'm dropping it.

No you just said the hearing people can learn ASL but they won't oh well. I didn't even have to go back and look, I remember what you said.
right.... hearing people with deaf children...

You didn't specify which hearing people, just said THE. My analogy and point actually made perfect sense, but since you don't get it, and probably won't give any thought to it so you won't.....that whole can't think outside the box thing ;) I'm dropping it.
quibbling... :roll:

perhaps you might want to sit down and learn something instead of answering before listening.

Your example is too vague to answer.

actually not really. majority of us are aware of it. I'm surprised you're not. you've been in this forum long enough and you should already know about it. it was mentioned many times all over the threads.

here's an analogy for you. in treating mentally-ill people... electroshock therapy and lobotomy were medically and professionally accepted in the best interest of their welfare.

right.... hearing people with deaf children...

quibbling... :roll:

perhaps you might want to sit down and learn something instead of answering before listening.

Ambrosia is correct. The member should have been more clear.

actually not really. majority of us are aware of it. I'm surprised you're not. you've been in this forum long enough and you should already know about it. it was mentioned many times all over the threads.

here's an analogy for you. in treating mentally-ill people... electroshock therapy and lobotomy were medically and professionally accepted in the best interest of their welfare.

That's not an analogy at all Jiro

Ambrosia is correct. The member should have been more clear.

I'm not really interested in what you think. 200+ posts and both of you are clueless? not my problem. not my fault.

follow your own advice.. listen before you answer.

please do tell me why's that.

You didn't compare anything to anything

For that to have been an analogy you would have had to compare using electroshock therapy and lobotomies for treatment of the mentally ill to...I don't know leeching?? something? anything? but definetly something :)

You didn't compare anything to anything

Yes I did and I'm sorry if that made you felt very uncomfortable and defensive. Looks like there's no point in continuing this farce with you and we'll just have to move on.

It has been well known that hearing people 95% of the time who t learn ASL for deaf people ...

Now, think outside of the box. Hearing people who have never met a deaf person wouldn't even think of learning ASL. Hearing people who won't learn for deaf people mean hearing people in those deaf peoples ` lives like family, for one.

Do u think I was talking about hearing people who don't know any deaf people? If so...that's why I say think out of the box.

I don't know how Spanish speaking people got into the picture. They are not the issue regarding deaf. people.

1) That is not an analogy.

2) you said...

so that means you would do nothing and say same thing to a controversial method 20 years ago that was medically and professionally accepted?

That is vague. Also a strawman..

Not sure why any members would be against that. Perfectly within your rights as a parent.

CPS: *knock the door*
Foxrac: Hello
CPS: I'm Children Protective Services. I received a complaint about your child fail to meet the requirement.
Foxrac: What kind of requirement?
CPS: Your child doesn't learn the oral language.
Foxrac: My child is deaf so he only fluent in ASL.
CPS: Oh really, that's okay.
Foxrac: We are deaf family.
CPS: Ok, Do you have any questions?
Foxrac: Who filed the complaint?
CPS: Your friend TXGolfer
Foxrac: O RLY? He should love to mess with me.
CPS: Sure, that's waste of taxpayers. *ugh*

1) That is not an analogy.

2) you said...

That is vague. Also a strawman..

says you. we both know what's happening here and you're trying to weasel your way out.

Ya'll quit bickering like school kids over toys ugh someone make a thread for squabbling, whining and bickering like babies so the rest of us can stay out of it. Save the drama fo yo mama turkeys!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back