A opinion about Christians whining about same sex marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we didn't have organized religion, we would almost surely have to invent something else to take its place. Leaving out of it the specific denomination, organized religion provides a way for like-minded adherents to come together for spiritual solace, for answers to moral questions, for mutual support, both in times of trouble and during the course of everyday life. The Amish have their barn-building parties, for instance, to give support to each other in a very tangible way.

Most spiritual communities have this dual function, of providing a sense of the divine, a place to worship and think about what it means to live in this world, plus a practical source of help to each other and a sense of community. Many religious groups very specifically include community outreach as part of their faith mission - and by that I don't mean just talking about their faith, but being active in community service more generally.

This is something I don't personally understand. "Marriage" has always been a traditional religious ceremony. I am sure there will be those who will disagree with that notion ... but they will be wrong.
God performed the first wedding as recorded in the book of Genesis. He established the relationship between husband and wife. Marriage of a man and woman is the type that God used for the relationship between Jesus and the church.

Obviously, the secular or non-believing world wouldn't view marriage the way God does. For the secular world, marriage was established to protect property and inheritance. It was a tool for political alliances and societal connections.

In very recent centuries, marriages have taken on romantic aspects, although even now that's not a universal concept.

So, lots of groups have reasons to be interested in marriage. Different reasons for different groups.

Governments have been interested in people's marriages for centuries.

We have to remember, there's a difference between the wedding ceremony and marriage. Government (civil) weddings are mostly a matter of paper work. Social weddings are full of pomp and circumstance, sometimes including cultural traditions. Religious weddings follow and reinforce the beliefs of their sect or denomination. In most countries, civil wedding paperwork (licenses, registrations) are required by law even for social and religious weddings.

So, I am left wondering why the Federal Government is sticking their noses in the realm of religion. Why are State Governments doing this?
Because they don't see marriage as an institution established by God.

The civil government can authorize who gets a marriage license, and who gets government benefits from a marriage relationship.

The civil government can NOT tell religious organizations for whom they can perform or refuse to perform wedding ceremonies.

One does not have to be religious to get married. they can get a civil wedding. No religious text has any business interfering with that. It's like saying corporal punishment should not be banned in school because the bible says "spare the rod, spoil the child."
What does that have to do with weddings? The biblical concept of corporal punishment of children is for parents to enforce, not schools. The Bible doesn't say anything about corporal punishment in schools.

Keep religion out of it. We have no business telling two adults they cannot love and be together just because we don't approve.
Just because marriages aren't allowed doesn't mean two adults aren't allowed to love each other and be together. Civil marriage doesn't require love or even co-habitation.

Marriage is an official declaration of love and commitment to one another for life.
Civil marriage doesn't require a declaration of love.

We have no business telling gay people that sex is fine, but love and commitment is wrong. It's none of our damn business and it's not our place.
Who's telling gay people that sex is fine? I thought it was none of our business?

The bible also says if a woman cheats on her husband and gets pregnant, she has to abort the baby or put burnt at stake.
I've never read or heard that. I did a word search of the online Bible, and found nothing. Please give the reference for this accusation.

It doesn't even make sense.

Prior to DNA, how could it proved who was the baby daddy?

I don't recall anyone in the Bible being burned at the stake for any offense. In fact, I couldn't find "stake" in the Bible.

So, if we're going to wave the bible in the air and say "god says..."
we would be seeing a significant number of female pregnant adulteresses being put to death by fire all around the world if they choose not to abort. Oh wait, that's not happening even though GOD says we're supposed to do that. What hypocrites we are and how defiant we are of God's word.
Please show me where God said any such thing.

i am a roman catholic..and as long as religious institutions arent forced to participate in same sex marriages if it goes against their teachings, its really no ones business. because honestly.. quickie divorces and adultery are far more destructive and detrimental than anything, and they are perfectly legal. as long as everyone can respect others beliefs and rights to do as they see fit for themselves and their families, why not live and let live? although i think everyone shouldnt go into marriage blind..too many people think that marriage is all fun and games and happy feelings, but no..its a lot of hard work and not very many people take it seriously. that, to me, should be the bigger issue, not who so and so is marrying.

Of note - this is generally only enforced when people are getting rude about it. If you don't want to share, that's fine, but the "religious ban" here I've basically only seen thrown about when religious posters want to claim that they're being oppressed, and then occasionally when a thread either starts to get extremely personal or has just gone on extremely long.

If you have something to say, say it!

I was banned for talking about religion in a historical context, so, yeah, take it with a grain of salt.

That being said, I'll venture out on a limb:

Re-defining marriage does change it for everyone. When society starts to consider 'bedroom business' as a part of an 'anything goes' attitude, we potentially lose sight of what's best for society.

Consider the Catholic Charities in Chicago that were defunded for not placing kids with s/s couples, or the ACLU trying to sue over the Salvation Army not providing benefits for their s/s couples and posing a litmus tests for employees, or Christian firefighters in California being forced to march in a Pride parade (and later suing for sexual harassment and coming up against gay rights advocates).

Many people want to separate gay rights from civil rights. They don't think that MLK is the same thing as Ellen. We wouldn't give grants to agencies that promote segregation and racism, but religion is kind of that sacred libertarian ground. We let faith-based initiatives run charities with state money, and those charities are free to love Jesus or frown at unmarried couples or abortion. But to make 'gay rights' a matter of 'civil rights', well - it puts the Homophobia Meter into overdrive, because what the larger gay community is trying to do is challenge another's religious beliefs. The gay community doesn't say, "Let us marry and we'll leave you alone." Of course not. The gay community says, treat us equally in regards to all aspects of social life, because your religious shit is bunk.

That being said, s/s marriage isn't a bight on society. Some attitudes concerning sex and marriage may be, however, and those come from both the pro and anti camps.

Mod note:

Several posts contain religious posts unfortunately, AllDeaf does not permit this until further notice.

Sorry that I have to close this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back