A opinion about Christians whining about same sex marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody force you to believe. I believe in God, Jesus and Bible by a choice.

I respect that completely. All i ask for is the same respect that one doesn't impose their beliefs upon me. It's been known to happen.

JoeyDeafNinja - I am not going to engage in the debate about the bible being always right. it's not going to go anywhere. You will believe what you want and I will believe what I want and let's leave it at that.

JoeyDeafNinja - I am not going to engage in the debate about the bible being always right. it's not going to go anywhere. You will believe what you want and I will believe what I want and let's leave it at that.

I was only just saying.

Religion goes wrong when you have to join the flock, if you live and let live then fine. The trouble is marriage is a religious ceremony, so the religion must accept same sex unions? Does that make any sense?

Word of mouth written down, sure. But don't forget the bible was written 2,000 years ago.
Did you forget the Old Testament?

Back then they believed in many things, doesn't mean they were true. i.e. that the world was flat.
God never said that the world was flat, and neither does the Bible. That was not a biblical belief.

I do believe Jesus existed and that he was a wondering philosopher and that he became glorified to god-like status much like how the Thais are as reverent of their King as they are of their Buddha. both are sacred in their eyes.

i respect people wanting to believe and respect that they have their faiths but I resent them telling me how I should behave or what I should believe in because some fictional character said so. As far as i am concerned, the bible is a fairy tale filled with fables and parables to teach lessons in morality. Nothing more.
As far as you are concerned....

So if it's written, it must be true? It's because I'm a history major that I know two things: history is full of mistakes, inaccuracies and purposeful distortions. I also know kings and rulers love using religion to control the populace and make them conform. All they have to do is say "God says..." and people fall in line, no questions asked.

But whatever, believe as you wish. But it's futile to argue with me, i've had this debate a thousand times already and nothing will change my views. if you want to debate with others, go for it.

reba - I am saying the bible was written during the times when people believed in lots of things that were proven to be untrue later on.

Believe what you want.

Of note - this is generally only enforced when people are getting rude about it. If you don't want to share, that's fine, but the "religious ban" here I've basically only seen thrown about when religious posters want to claim that they're being oppressed, and then occasionally when a thread either starts to get extremely personal or has just gone on extremely long.

If you have something to say, say it!

I am in agreement with Reba, God created marriage for one man and one woman, simple. Liberal minds just want to hear what they want to hear and make changes according to their agenda.

I agree Reba truth! she is very right!

So if it's written, it must be true? It's because I'm a history major that I know two things: history is full of mistakes, inaccuracies and purposeful distortions. I also know kings and rulers love using religion to control the populace and make them conform. All they have to do is say "God says..." and people fall in line, no questions asked.

But whatever, believe as you wish. But it's futile to argue with me, i've had this debate a thousand times already and nothing will change my views. if you want to debate with others, go for it.
Personally, I never debate anyone with the intention of changing their views. Debate can't change a heart. Only God's Word and the Holy Spirit can do that. I leave that up to them.

However, I do correct the incorrect statements made about God, the Bible, and Christians. It's one thing to be slammed for the truth, and quite another to be falsely accused.

I still don't see any inaccuracies. But eh, Christians are not very good at being open-minded to hearing things like the word Hell came from a mistranslation for the Greek word "grave" and this mistranslation happened during the Medieval Ages when they were descending into well, the Dark Ages. The bible was originally composed of several books written in different languages that were eventually translated and compiled together. there is such thing as cultural influences and mistranslations and misperceptions, all of which got incorporated into religious texts.

but whatever, if you prefer to believe in such things, that's fine. Just because you don't think the bible is inaccurate, doesn't mean it isn't.

So people can talk about the size of their penis and what positions they like when they have sex on alldeaf but can't have religious debates? That is ridiculous.

reba - I am saying the bible was written during the times when people believed in lots of things that were proven to be untrue later on.

Believe what you want.

You ask for a break and I'm trying to give you one.
Who has prove the Great Flood to not be true?
Who has prove the Great Plagues of Egypt to not be true?
Better yet, name an event you think has been proving false.

You and I only deal in facts, so give me facts to back up your posts.

rolling7 - I was on a debate team. Rule 101 - do not make statements you cannot prove.

I didn't say the great flood was untrue nor the plagues of Egypt - scientists and archaeologists have already tackled those stories to find out if they were true and indeed, historically, they were true. Another guy have proven that the lost tribes of Israel did exist and he tracked them down to their current day locations, one of the tribes is the Jews of Jerba in Tunisia, famous for their silversmiths. Another is in Ethiopia.

The other thing that bugs me about the preaching of the Bible is the cop out...Prove to me God exists. Priest replies, you just need to have faith. That's all the proof you need.

I did study the history of the bible and I will not argue historical events for naturally, people record them but the more fantastical stories? Ummm...c'mon. I do not doubt that we all have a need to believe in something greater than us and I do not doubt that indeed there is a superior force out there that is creating all this life. No doubt at all.

But I do not like attempted control through use of the bible and to tell people they must do this or that or they are not getting into heaven for being bad little kids. I do understand the bible was also a set of laws for civillized behaviour in society so we can get along instead of all out bloody warfare.

Most Christians I've met are not very Christ-like. They don't pay tithes, support the poor, be kind to their neighbours nor take good care of domesticated animals, which biblically, are said to have souls.

They destroy this wonderful planet God gave them, I don't see that as very respectful to their God. He gave them life, they are killing it.

I do support the message of Jesus which is to be good, kind, neighbourly, generous, understanding, unconditional love even towards the Judahs. He preaches forgiveness and acceptance. One hundred percent. But that doesn't make me believe he's god, just a very brilliant philosopher who was way ahead of his time and deeply spiritual. He was a Jew, naturally his upbringing in the Old Testament is going to factor into his spiritual beliefs.

I'd rather people BE and ACT like Christians than quote from the Bible to tell others "this is wrong cause GOD says so." How about Christians practice what they preach and just go out there and be like Christ instead of casting the finger of judgement upon everyone. Can anyone visualize Jesus spewing profanities at gays or bombing an abortion shelter or telling abused wives to be quiet and not complain for divorce is wrong? Yet the bible is used to justify those things. That's sick. It really is.

As far as i am concerned, people have no business calling themselves Christians if they are not behaving as Christ would have wanted them to. Just believing God exists is not enough.

rolling7 - I was on a debate team. Rule 101 - do not make statements you cannot prove.

I didn't say the great flood was untrue nor the plagues of Egypt - scientists and archaeologists have already tackled those stories to find out if they were true and indeed, historically, they were true. Another guy have proven that the lost tribes of Israel did exist and he tracked them down to their current day locations, one of the tribes is the Jews of Jerba in Tunisia, famous for their silversmiths. Another is in Ethiopia.

The other thing that bugs me about the preaching of the Bible is the cop out...Prove to me God exists. Priest replies, you just need to have faith. That's all the proof you need.

I did study the history of the bible and I will not argue historical events for naturally, people record them but the more fantastical stories? Ummm...c'mon. I do not doubt that we all have a need to believe in something greater than us and I do not doubt that indeed there is a superior force out there that is creating all this life. No doubt at all.

But I do not like attempted control through use of the bible and to tell people they must do this or that or they are not getting into heaven for being bad little kids. I do understand the bible was also a set of laws for civillized behaviour in society so we can get along instead of all out bloody warfare.

Most Christians I've met are not very Christ-like. They don't pay tithes, support the poor, be kind to their neighbours nor take good care of domesticated animals, which biblically, are said to have souls.

They destroy this wonderful planet God gave them, I don't see that as very respectful to their God. He gave them life, they are killing it.

I do support the message of Jesus which is to be good, kind, neighbourly, generous, understanding, unconditional love even towards the Judahs. He preaches forgiveness and acceptance. One hundred percent. But that doesn't make me believe he's god, just a very brilliant philosopher who was way ahead of his time and deeply spiritual. He was a Jew, naturally his upbringing in the Old Testament is going to factor into his spiritual beliefs.

I'd rather people BE and ACT like Christians than quote from the Bible to tell others "this is wrong cause GOD says so." How about Christians practice what they preach and just go out there and be like Christ instead of casting the finger of judgement upon everyone. Can anyone visualize Jesus spewing profanities at gays or bombing an abortion shelter or telling abused wives to be quiet and not complain for divorce is wrong? Yet the bible is used to justify those things. That's sick. It really is.

As far as i am concerned, people have no business calling themselves Christians if they are not behaving as Christ would have wanted them to. Just believing God exists is not enough.

Finally, somebody here at AllDeaf is making sense.

DC, I know you don't have a problem with the Black Plague, it happen. So I'm trying to understand how you can call the Great Plague of Egypt a "fable" (your word)

I also know you are aware of non-bibical cities that tragedly and catastrophely suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth. So, I'm trying to get my head around you callingSodom and Gomorrah a "fable". This is about the citiesand not about Lot's wife nor homosexually.

My main concern is why even anyone is allow to use "fable" at all, especially a scholar. The story of "Jack and the Beanstalk" is commonly called a fable and rightly so because it is child's entertainment. However, the Bible was written and meant to be a historical record. So for you to refer to any part of it, in any context, requires you to back your opinion. Otherwise you are doing yourself a disgrace as a scholar.

um....one example, the bread and the fish, another, walking on water, yet another, talking serpent and the tree of life. Ever heard of the game "telephone"? the story get distorted as it gets passed from one person to the other. Things become embellished and exaggerated and some even become the stuff of legends.

But that's besides the point. Who gives a flying fuck if god parted the red sea (yes, that's been proven as true but not exactly as was described in the bible)? who can prove it was god who created those historical events?

the important question here is are you living your life as Christ? Jesus didn't show up to tell people to just believe in the book and make religious artefacts and spend millions on churches and sit their ass down on a pew for a couple of hours a week and listen to reliigious radio and music, he's telling them to go out there and do good. otherwise what's the bloody point of Christianity in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back