A cochlear implant story

I didn't started this thread for CI fights !

come on :ugh3:

Yes. I was impressed by the fact that her parents and her family were so supportive. They supported her before she chose CI, and they supported her after she made the decision to have CI. They allowed her to determine how she wanted to deal with her own deafness, and it has turned out well.

Yeah, fromthe doctor's comment, it would seem that she has a better grasp of reality than the doctor does. It does not put an end to her deafness. It simply makes her deaf with a CI. Sheesh!

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!

This woman was implanted at age 24. That hardly qualifies for early implantation.
By "this woman" you mean Melissa Greenlee's?

She was late deafened.

Now a question looms as Greenlee waits for the tests to begin. Will she hear again, 15 years after sound disappeared?

Greenlee, who had lost her hearing at age 8 for a reason still unknown, wasn't convinced.

But anyway, what was your point?

Get a grip on yourself, fuzzy. You're about to go nuts again.

YOU get a grip on yourself, and kindly answer my question, please?:
WHERE did I said the CI is going to improve the situations of discrimination?

Fuzzy

Yeah, fromthe doctor's comment, it would seem that she has a better grasp of reality than the doctor does........ Sheesh!

Why such a denigrating remark about the doctor... Was that really needed or is this the "All doctors are pushy and know k\nothing" attitude....

The comment in the article by the doctor was "This could work for you,"
How does that NOT show reality..???

Come to think of it, you are right Cloggy.
to say " this COULD work" is not the same as "it WILL work".
and it did worked for her. That's reality.

Fuzzy

8 years old is late deafened?...

Oh sorry. I meant past the "window of opportunity". You are right 8 years old is not quite "late deafened". What I meant was Melisa acquired hearing and speech before 8.

Fuzzy

From a language development point of view, it is.
Oh! I didn't even knew that. "Late deafened" is for me more like an adult losing his hearing. Now I know, thx Cloggy.

Fuzzy

Right on, Cheri! I feel the same as you. I learned to speak but no one in my family/co-workers returned the favor by learning the sign language. I always feel that it should be two way street but in this case it is one way street so I don't want CI.

Yea, I feel the same too. If I was going to get a CI, it would because I want to hear music better.

Right on, Cheri! I feel the same as you. I learned to speak but no one in my family/co-workers returned the favor by learning the sign language. I always feel that it should be two way street but in this case it is one way street so I don't want CI.
I had the same experience in Norway:
I learned to speak Norwegian, but no-one here has the decency to learn Dutch..
Damn.!... people are the same everywhere...

Yea but u have full access to your first language. Deaf people dont have full access to any spoken language.

I guess Buffalo mean it´s people´s own willing to learn anything what they like without get force or expect from anyone.

We choose to move out to other country with different language. Right?

We choose to learn other country´s langauge voluntarily. Right?

Yea but u have full access to your first language.
Not in Norway!
Deaf people dont have full access to any spoken language.
I know what you mean, but that does not mean everyone should be able to "speak" signlanguage. I don't expect Norwegians to learn Dutch. I will do my best to speak Norwegian. And it is difficult for me, and tiresome. I have to ask them to repeat what they say, or I guess, or I don't get it and ignore it. And when I'm tired I will not be able to follow a conversation. (Which I can in English.)
So, it takes an effort. Not as much as lipreading in combination with bad hearing, but still, I will have to make the effort.
I am the minority in this country.

I'm with you one hundred percent, it's the same with me too. I learned to speak also for what? for them, but what about returning a favor too by learning to sign. I don't see that happening not in this world. that's why hearing people are so uneducated about fairness.

I'm with you one hundred percent, it's the same with me too. I learned to speak also for what? for them, but what about returning a favor too by learning to sign. I don't see that happening not in this world. that's why hearing people are so uneducated about fairness.

It may be cuz hearing people are majority and may overlook the other's needs.

And how would the doctor really knows it could work, Can he predict the future? No, he cannot.

It's wrong to even tell people that to give them high hopes.

Back