A cochlear implant story

Do you think if I want CI is for ME or for PEOPLE?

Both, You kept on discussing about window opportunities, and how it'll be easy to function in the world with cochlear implant than the deaf, which is BS because deaf can function in the world the same as hearing. So, it seems to me you want to do it for yourself and for them to be fit in.

no I am suggesting that any person who is succesfully implanted, and that happens most often when implanted early, has easier life in the hearing world.
Don't forget about simply pleasure- of hearing music, nature etc.
You don't have to, but wouldn't you LIKE to hear music?

Fuzzy

To me, every day life is a challenge, you face them every day and make the right choice for yourself not for what everyone else thinks or say but the hardest thing for me is not being able to hear as well especially when it's dark outside not knowing what is going on around me but still I do it everyday, because I have to, that's part of life, but who said life was easy huh?

It's not always easy, to be the person your parents want you to be, and to be the person you want to be but I choose to be me as being deaf...

Bo
th, You kept on discussing about window opportunities, and how it'll be easy to function in the world with cochlear implant than the deaf,

I said easiER, and isn't it true?
you wouldn't need interpreters, for instance, or not always. what if interpreter won't show?

Fuzzy

To me, every day life is a challenge, you face them every day and make the right choice for yourself not for what everyone else thinks or say but the hardest thing for me is not being able to hear as well especially when it's dark outside not knowing what is going on around me but still I do it everyday, because I have to, that's part of life, but who said life was easy huh?

Exactly. and if there is help for that, for your own needs, why not use it?

Fuzzy

Exactly. and if there is help for that, for your own needs, why not use it?

Fuzzy

Here's my advice for YOU : Please, do NOT change Cheri or Angel what YOU want them to be. Let them be what makes them happy. Their happiness is not YOUR happiness if, they prefer to stay D E A F. Ok ? :) :ty:

If, you want CI on YOURSELF, then do it on your own and see, if that will WORK for YOU and see, if that will make you HAPPY. Just go and find a doctor to do it. You don't need to question anyone here to see, if it makes easIER for them.

I do, I wear my hearing aids....

So, what difference would it make if you wear HAs or CI? either way this is hearing aid. no more no less, with the exception that with CI one may hear better than with HAs.

Here's my advice for YOU : Please, do NOT change Cheri or Angel what YOU want them to be. Let them be what makes them happy.

We are discussing benefits of CI, not about changing anynoe.

they prefer to stay D E A F.

they will be STILL DEAF. with CI or with HAs or without either of these.

Fuzzy

Good story, Highlands! Thanks for sharing it.

Even I cry at activations, and I'm not the parent of a CI user (yet).

We had one case where the child was receiving a 2nd implant, and had some troubles with high frequency sounds (like sh) with her first implant. The second implant was denied, but we got the denial overturned on appeal. The parents asked me to be there when the second side was being activated, and right after they turned on the implant, the mom said to her daughter "This is Sheri" and then turned to me and said "I wanted the first thing she heard with SH to be your name."

I love my job. 460 hearing impairment denials overturned in the last 22 months and counting.

Sheri

Like me, I thank you Sheri for all your help in making it possible for me. And I'm sure NOW I can hear the SH in your name too!!!

Let's focus on the story. This thread is not for the long lasting debate. It was a wonderful story. A choice for implants is personal. I love my implants, it is not my job to force others to make that choice. I'm happy during the day with my implants and yes I am happy at night with my silence. If anyone wants to know about why I made this choice, they just have to ask. When I went to school yesterday and my student Ty said I love you, your my favorite teacher! I knew I made the right choice.

Let's focus on the story. This thread is not for the long lasting debate. It was a wonderful story. A choice for implants is personal. I love my implants, it is not my job to force others to make that choice. I'm happy during the day with my implants and yes I am happy at night with my silence. If anyone wants to know about why I made this choice, they just have to ask. When I went to school yesterday and my student Ty said I love you, your my favorite teacher! I knew I made the right choice.

Vallee, I see you are a TOD. Can you tell us where your school is and what their educational/philosophical approach is? What communicative tools are used, etc...??

P.S On second thought, I see that I was assuming that you are a TOD when, because of your CI's, I guess you could be a regular public school teacher, teaching normal hearing children.

Wonderful story, thank you for share those link here.

I am glad that she make her own decision what she do with her body without get push from anyone.

I was like huh over doctor´s comment...

Doctors think the device can put an end to her 15 years of deafness.

:ugh3:

I am with Angel´s and Cheri´s most posts here.

So? Nobody denied it. We can't always get what we want. That's life.

Hearing people would feel the same way if they're in a crowd room full of deaf people.

BINGO! And if fuzzy thinks that the CI is going to improve the situations of discrimination, she is delusional.

Wonderful story, thank you for share those link here.

I am glad that she make her own decision what she do with her body without get push from anyone.

I was like huh over doctor´s comment...

:ugh3:

I am with Angel´s and Cheri´s most posts here.

Yes. I was impressed by the fact that her parents and her family were so supportive. They supported her before she chose CI, and they supported her after she made the decision to have CI. They allowed her to determine how she wanted to deal with her own deafness, and it has turned out well.

Yeah, fromthe doctor's comment, it would seem that she has a better grasp of reality than the doctor does. It does not put an end to her deafness. It simply makes her deaf with a CI. Sheesh!

Even I cry at activations, and I'm not the parent of a CI user (yet).

We had one case where the child was receiving a 2nd implant, and had some troubles with high frequency sounds (like sh) with her first implant. The second implant was denied, but we got the denial overturned on appeal. The parents asked me to be there when the second side was being activated, and right after they turned on the implant, the mom said to her daughter "This is Sheri" and then turned to me and said "I wanted the first thing she heard with SH to be your name."

I love my job. 460 hearing impairment denials overturned in the last 22 months and counting.

Sheri

Awww...sniff, sniff!

Vallee, I see you are a TOD. Can you tell us where your school is and what their educational/philosophical approach is? What communicative tools are used, etc...??

P.S On second thought, I see that I was assuming that you are a TOD when, because of your CI's, I guess you could be a regular public school teacher, teaching normal hearing children.

Good questions, Tousi.

I wonder if someone could tell me what brand of CI she wears from the photos ?[/QUOTE]

I remember reading about this. I have the Freedom and hers doesn't look excatly like mine but it looks like it's a one of the Necleus Freedom lines? If I'm wrong, then I apologize!

Back