A cochlear implant story

Oh! I didn't even knew that. "Late deafened" is for me more like an adult losing his hearing. Now I know, thx Cloggy.

Fuzzy

Cloggy has provided you with incorrect information, fuzzy. Please see post #99.

I work at a public hospital and believe me there is only a few people who care about my deafness .. and the majority don't give a fawk about my deafness.. sad :roll:

Yea, it's the hard truth fact that happens to every one of us in our lifetime.

But let me tell u this, "People who mind, don't matter, People who matter, don't mind that you're deaf." ;)

I had the same experience in Norway:
I learned to speak Norwegian, but no-one here has the decency to learn Dutch..
Damn.!... people are the same everywhere...

Fallicious argument. You made the choice to enter a different country. We are talking about people withinthe same country, and making accommodations for a bilingual atmosphere within borders, not across borders.

No. cloggy, it isn't. Or did your language development stop at age 8? From a language development point of view, she is post-lingual, which means that she had acquired the foundations of spoken language prior to onset. Language contiunes to develop over the lifespan....or at least one hopes that it would. For some, that appears not to be the case. However, late deafened refers to adventitiously deafened.

I knew it...Thank you Jillioie, I'm glad you posted this.....:D

Exactly, Highlands and I feel for you. It is a known fact, for you, regarding your family, no question there but for the hearing people you speak of, try to look at them closer because people fear the unknown and if you are able to be friendly and educate the on the BASICS of your deafness, I am sure that you will win some over to you. Best wishes!

Thanks. I try what you said when I find an oppurtunity.. They seem to understand at first.. but the rest never come.

For example, I say that I need lip reading.. they seem to accept it .. after a while, they may talk to me turning their back

jillio said:
She was deafened at age 8. That is considered to be post lingual. Late deafened refers to adventitious deafness. There is a difference.

I just wanted to say - I went deaf when I was 9, and my medical records say my deafness is adventitious. It doesn't mean only 'LATE' (as in adult.) Anybody deafened after birth can be classified as adventitious.

To be simple, They do not consider me to be deaf. They mostly want me to live in hearing world and ignore my deaf side.. and I could never able to share my feelings with my family..I needed psychological support, I needed crying on my mom's knees .. but I couldn't .. My world was rejected..

Ah, yes, I understand. But my position is that it is not you who needs to change, it is them. Your deafness did not cause the problems for you. Thier attitudes and reactions to your deafness caused the problems for you. The problem is not yours, it is theirs, even though they force you to deal with and be the victim of their intolerance. They refused to provide you with what you needed not because of something that was wrong in you, but because of something that was wrong in them.:hug:

Ah, yes, I understand. But my position is that it is not you who needs to change, it is them. Your deafness did not cause the problems for you. Thier attitudes and reactions to your deafness caused the problems for you. The problem is not yours, it is theirs, even though they force you to deal with and be the victim of their intolerance. They refused to provide you with what you needed not because of something that was wrong in you, but because of something that was wrong in them.:hug:

yeah,thanks :ty:

I never feel ashamed of my deafness.. I just have a different world

Then I guess your language development stopped at age 9.

adventitious deafness means *deafened after birth* it has nothing to do with language classifications. Your statement that late deafened refers to adventitious, but going deaf at age 8 is not, is incorrect, that's all.

adventitious deafness means *deafened after birth* it has nothing to do with language classifications. Your statement that late deafened refers to adventitious, but going deaf at age 8 is not, is incorrect, that's all.

Perhaps the dictionary defines it differently that the audiological, liguistic, and educational communities.

Deafness at birth is known as congenital deafness, while deafness that occurs after birth is called adventitious deafness... but said nothing about lack of language skills...

Deafness at birth is known as congenital deafness, while deafness that occurs after birth is called adventitious deafness.
Source: Deafness - a range of causes - Better Health Channel.

Adventitious Deafness: deafness occurring sometime after birth.
Source: DRC : Faculty Resources

Deafness causes after birth is called adventitious deafness. Some diseases that cause adventitious deafness are meningitis, mumps and chicken pox.
Source: Hearing Basics

ADVENTITIOUS DEAFNESS: A hearing loss that occurs any time after birth due to injury or disease.
Source: Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing

I think the "deafness after birth" definition is well accepted in the educational and medical communities, it doesn't *always* mean post lingual. Just want to clear up this misconception so this term is used correctly.

Source: Deafness - a range of causes - Better Health Channel.

Source: DRC : Faculty Resources

Source: Hearing Basics

Source: Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing

I think the "deafness after birth" definition is well accepted in the educational and medical communities, it doesn't *always* mean post lingual. Just want to clear up this misconception so this term is used correctly.

:ty: The educational and rehab communities use a bit of a different guideline.

apparently. No wonder everybody complains of miscommunication when simple terms can't even be agreed upon.

:curious: so late deafened does not refers to adventitious deafness? Am I correct?

:curious: so late deafened does not refers to adventitious deafness? Am I correct?

From what I understand, adventitious deafness is any deafness happening after birth. Late deafened would fall into this category.

Back