A Brand New Notebook Computer!

My husband just bought a brand new Compaq laptop from Best Buy a few weeks ago for $450. It was on sale and it is sweet. I use a Toshiba and have owned it for over a year. I love it. I think I paid about $530 for it. My best suggestion is look at Best Buy because they have sick clearance sales.

Gulps...I'm a bit of a Best Buy addict. In the past 2 months I have purchased:
  1. 46" Samsung 1080P LCD
  2. Compaq Laptop
  3. PS3 w/ rock band

I bought all these items from Best Buy and I shopped around first. They just always have the best prices. :cool:

Yup, I'm frequently consumer at Best Buy, gotta love this store.

CC is alright but they got some exclusive items like sweet Sony portable DVD player.

It surely can be cheaper to buy it direct! Depends on what you want them to add onto your computer to build it custom made for you. :)

But Best Buy and Good Guys do have some amazing prices.

Have ya tried checking online? They sometime have better deals than in the store, plus you could save on sales tax depending on where you live.

Yup, Newegg has alot of good deal but beware of return policy, all laptop and computers are non-refundable with little exception (such as out of stock, backorder for replacement of defective laptop/computer will be refunded).

Just for school work mainly with Internet connection. I am looking at Dell and HP. Good choices?
Dell and HP are good choices.

I have a 2001 desktop from Gateway with 40 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM... running Windows XP SP2. It still runs great for the basic programs such as MS Office, etc.

For you, having a HUGE hard drive shouldn't be your concern since most word documents don't even use up much memory. You could probably put 25 to 50 documents on one floppy disk (1.4 MB). In that case, why need a huge hard drive? That's a waste of space. ;)

Go to the Dell website to get an idea of what you can look for. They have categories that you can look at... entertainment, pictures, education, work, gaming, etc... each category has its own setting based on the main purpose of the computer.

Bigger HDD can be useful for video, film edit and game.

Most PC laptop are come with bunches of bloatwares, that make HDD looks less than just right number and formatted would be less than 40 GB if HDD capacity is 40 GB.

On a side note: I my brother will buy me (gift) a digital voice recorder next week. This is it:

right01.jpg

I am a super dork. LOL!!!!!!!! I take my notes in pocket when I walk out the door. When I am waiting for something/one, I review my notes (on index cards)...what a geek. So with the recorder I can cast those index cards away. I just plug in my earphones and I am set.

Dell and HP are good choices.

I have a 2001 desktop from Gateway with 40 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM... running Windows XP SP2. It still runs great for the basic programs such as MS Office, etc.

For you, having a HUGE hard drive shouldn't be your concern since most word documents don't even use up much memory. You could probably put 25 to 50 documents on one floppy disk (1.4 MB). In that case, why need a huge hard drive? That's a waste of space....
I agree. Most college students here use flash/jump USB drive sticks for storing their school assignments, not their hard drives, anyway.

I agree. Most college students here use flash/jump USB drive sticks for storing their school assignments, not their hard drives, anyway.
And... on a campus where computers are everywhere, they just send themselves the homework through email. I did. ;)

(RIT has a computer lab in almost every building. So, I simply send myself my homework from my computer and go to the computer lab to download it and print it. Certainly a lot better than having to spend money on a USB. What if your USB or disk messes up? You're screwed.) ;)

...(RIT has a computer lab in almost every building. So, I simply send myself my homework from my computer and go to the computer lab to download it and print it. Certainly a lot better than having to spend money on a USB. What if your USB or disk messes up? You're screwed.) ;)
Both ways are good to back up for each other.

Hardly anyone is using disks at this college. Everyone carries flash drives. Some students don't have home computers, or their computers don't have the necessary software, so they use the lab computers. Yes, we have multiple computer labs, and internet connections in the lounges, some class rooms, and snack bars. The school has Dells for most computer work, and Macs for the graphics department. Most of the instructors use Power Point and/or Smart Boards for lectures.

Back