A Brand New Notebook Computer!

AquaBlue

Reaction score
I will need to purchase a notebook computer in the next few months. I will be using it for school primarily. I do not want to spend more than $1,200; I only care for quality and nothing else. It needs to be rugged, with tons of memory, and comfortable to use. The platform has to be Windows and it needs to include a portable mouse (I hate those finger pointing cursors).

Can you give me some good models to review? Thanks!

Go with a Dell and u can order them online or phone Dell and specifically a Window not Vista... Go Windows!

I do not know which good notebook computer.. but At Walmart selling reasonable low price computers?

Good luck! :D

From my experience, most laptops don't come with portable mouse. That's something you will have to buy separately. However, you can find a small mouse for a cheap price.

As for the cost, the more memory you want... the more it will cost. What will you be using it for? If it's just for schoolwork, then you won't really need much memory since it doesn't use much memory.

MS Office documents don't use much memory. Unless, you plan on using it for installing a bunch of stuff or for artwork, then that would need more memory.

Best Buy has cheaper more memory Dell computers than buying direct from Dell.

From my experience, most laptops don't come with portable mouse. That's something you will have to buy separately. However, you can find a small mouse for a cheap price.

As for the cost, the more memory you want... the more it will cost. What will you be using it for? If it's just for schoolwork, then you won't really need much memory since it doesn't use much memory.

MS Office documents don't use much memory. Unless, you plan on using it for installing a bunch of stuff or for artwork, then that would need more memory.

Just for school work mainly with Internet connection. I am looking at Dell and HP. Good choices?

ALL of my computers are HP. They are the best, next to Mac. :)
Dell key buttons break off so easily!

I'm sure you can find a wonderful HP for less than the price you are wanting. :) And yep, most HP do come with portable optical mouse.

I bought my HP laptop new, I bought a used HP laptop on Ebay for my daughter, and I have two HP printers. My desktop PC is a Compaq (which is made by HP). I've been satisfied with all of them. They're nothing fancy but very good basic computers.

For college use, make sure you get full MS Office Word 2007.

Yeah I want something simple. Maybe the cost I posted earlier may be too high for such a simple machine. HP might be the ticket. I own a Dell desktop (Dimension E510) and it works like a charm. But I will likely get an HP model notebook.

Seconded! Would be very hard to do without.

I use Word all the time. The only other program I use more is my browser. I will for sure get Word with my notebook. I own an old version of Word so an upgrade would be great.

I have my eye on this one:

Pavilion_dv6500.jpg

It's not expensive and it's an HP. What do you think?

Gosh it's beautiful. So long as you can play DVD movies and things to keep you relaxed also. :)

Many come with MS Office 2007, however it's often a 25-usage trial, or sometimes 30-day trial.

Must make sure you get one that has it fully installed already. :)

What I am thinking of doing is (maybe) sell my Dell desktop and my old computer (desktop also) made by HP on eBay. Then use that money to get a mega notebook. A top of the line model for home and school work. Good idea?

Gosh it's beautiful. So long as you can play DVD movies and things to keep you relaxed also. :)

Many come with MS Office 2007, however it's often a 25-usage trial, or sometimes 30-day trial.

Must make sure you get one that has it fully installed already. :)

If it doesn't maybe he can purchase it when he enrolls at the college, and get the student version (cheaper) at the book store.

HP is most preferred if you need Windows only, make sure if offers Core 2 Duo, not Pentium D or Celeron.

MacBook is good laptop, even you can install Windows (XP or Vista) on bootcamp.

Back