A 14 years old rape victim was caned to death after being raped by a cousin.

Even here right in our own backyard, women are not seen as an equal but rather inferior. I was BOILING two Sundays ago in my SS class and our SS teacher said that women MUST submit to men and that anything of women's opinion is not important to the men and he was dead serious. Oh I let him have it!

I reminded him that Eve was taken from Adam's rib not to be above him or beneath him but to support him and to be protected by his arm. He just looked at me like I had grown four eyeballs and six ears. He said "it is black and white in the Bible, women must submit to their husbands."

Then I said a woman shouldn't put up with all the crap and get little to no thanks in return for it. The women are always cooking the men their weekly breakfast at the church, when are the men gonna do something nice for the ladies outside of Mother's Day? If the ladies want to do something nice they have to get together in the women's ministry and do it themselves. I think if the men are going to get breakfast once a week then the men should be doing dinner for the ladies once a week as well. I told him I'm sick of this inferiority crap that women should submit and these desperate housewives are buying into it. It's not a 'worldly view' its one that Jesus would have accepted. Mary Magdalene was a woman and also His closest confidante. Now we have men pushing the women further and further away into the kitchen 'where she belongs'. This inferiority attitude. I then said what about Beth Moore? You claim she is not a preacher but a teacher. She studies the Bible, brings her interpretation and her lessons from it and shares it before a crowd that often contains men and women. The same damn thing a preacher does. The only reason she's not ordained is because she's got boobs and better plumbing, if I didn't know any better I'd say the men were jealous of her success. The only reason she's not going a step further is because if she does she loses her financial backing for her ministry.

Needless to say I ruffled some feathers and I've not been back since.
I'm sorry that your SS teacher has such a gross misunderstanding about God's plan for men and women, especially in the marital relationship.

Honestly, I really don't get the Sunday breakfast thing. :giggle:

Its all just sick. The whole caning of a 14 year old girl. :(

How do you know that? How do you know about the faith anyone has unless they tell you about it?

The fatwa they carried out was a combination of man-made religion and their culture.

If it were just their religion, then followers of that religion would do the same thing, worldwide. But they don't, so it's also a strong cultural influence.

What exactly do you think religious doctrine and culture are based on?

I'm sorry that your SS teacher has such a gross misunderstanding about God's plan for men and women, especially in the marital relationship.

Honestly, I really don't get the Sunday breakfast thing. :giggle:

No, the breakfast is on Thursday mornings at 6:30. Yeah the women get up and get to the church around 5:30 or 6 and have a hot breakfast ready for the men when they have their weekly 'prayer breakfast'. There's tons of ministries for the men to join and do, but then there's just WOM (WMU) and that's it.

Anything the women's ministry does is usually very expensive or it's conflicting with my work schedule.

But then again why bother getting involved anyway? From what I hear there's a lot of backstabbing and cat fighting amongst this "fellowship". Not only that I'm very different from the others. I'm a single parent, I don't have a lot of money, I'm a closet homosexual, I don't like shiny prissy things. I'm more raw than them. I drink, I smoke, I curse, I tell it like it is. It's just me and I believe I rub a lot of people the wrong way sometimes.

I dunno, I just feel awkward most of the time yet I would feel even more out of place elsewhere. I have rededicated but I feel like nothing's changed really. My pastor hit the nail on the head when he said people don't go to church to find God, they go to church to find friends. Thing is I don't 'fellowship' with other members. I'm just there. A warm body.

Maybe it's time I break from the SBC??

What exactly do you think religious doctrine and culture are based on?
The culture was pre-existing their current religion.

The various cultures in the Muslim world adapted the religion to fit each culture.

No, the breakfast is on Thursday mornings at 6:30. Yeah the women get up and get to the church around 5:30 or 6 and have a hot breakfast ready for the men when they have their weekly 'prayer breakfast'. There's tons of ministries for the men to join and do, but then there's just WOM (WMU) and that's it.
Ah, got it. :giggle:

Our church has a weekday morning prayer time for the men, too. They get doughnuts from Krispy Kreme or biscuits from Bo Jangles, and the church serves coffee. The men take care of themselves. :lol:

The focus is supposed to be on the prayer time, not the eating time. (My opinion.)

"What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not." I Corinthians 11:22

I'm not familiar with WOM or WMU.

There are plenty of ministries for men and women at our church. Also, members are welcome to create new ministries. Hubby and I have done that. We saw a need in the church, and volunteered to take care of it.

Anything the women's ministry does is usually very expensive or it's conflicting with my work schedule.
There are plenty of ministries for men and women at our church. Also, members are welcome to create new ministries. Hubby and I have done that. We saw a need in the church, and volunteered to take care of it.

But then again why bother getting involved anyway? From what I hear there's a lot of backstabbing and cat fighting amongst this "fellowship". Not only that I'm very different from the others. I'm a single parent, I don't have a lot of money, I'm a closet homosexual, I don't like shiny prissy things. I'm more raw than them. I drink, I smoke, I curse, I tell it like it is. It's just me and I believe I rub a lot of people the wrong way sometimes.
It seems like you have more issues that need to be addressed before you can be comfortable in any Christian church.

I dunno, I just feel awkward most of the time yet I would feel even more out of place elsewhere. I have rededicated but I feel like nothing's changed really. My pastor hit the nail on the head when he said people don't go to church to find God, they go to church to find friends. Thing is I don't 'fellowship' with other members. I'm just there. A warm body.
Your pastor was partially right. People may go to church to find friends but that's not the reason God intended. Finding friends thru church attendance is a great side benefit but that's not the reason God established the church, nor is it the reason He expects people to attend and serve.

Maybe it's time I break from the SBC??
Perhaps.

I'm afraid we're getting off topic. Please feel free to pm me if you want to discuss further. :)

The culture was pre-existing their current religion.

The various cultures in the Muslim world adapted the religion to fit each culture.

Post religion, cultural values change and are revised. The two, culture and religion, are intimately tied together.

The same can be said of Christianity.

Post religion, cultural values change and are revised. The two, culture and religion, are intimately tied together.

The same can be said of Christianity.

Yeah, that is what happen to us, Native American, saying that our native religion was and probably still is barbaric or not comfortable associate with the white religion.

Reba, What about Jews? Jesus was a Jewish. So what is the big deal about that? Why against Jewish people that have to suffer under Christian rule? It does not make sense like that. Should have left us alone as this is our culture. No one should tell us to convert to their religion just because someone oppose different religion. :shock:

Yeah, that is what happen to us, Native American, saying that our native religion was and probably still is barbaric or not comfortable associate with the white religion.

Reba, What about Jews? Jesus was a Jewish. So what is the big deal about that? Why against Jewish people that have to suffer under Christian rule? It does not make sense like that. Should have left us alone as this is our culture. No one should tell us to convert to their religion just because someone oppose different religion. :shock:
I don't know why people want to persecute the Jews other than it's part of Satan's plan to destroy God's chosen people. Christians for sure should not persecute Jews. I would certainly question the Christianity of anyone who either spoke evil of or acted against the Jewish people.

i don't know why people want to persecute the jews other than it's part of satan's plan to destroy god's chosen people. Christians for sure should not persecute jews. I would certainly question the christianity of anyone who either spoke evil of or acted against the jewish people.

+1

Welcome to the middle east. I definitely am not taking a tour there.

Back