A 14 years old rape victim was caned to death after being raped by a cousin.

well it's outlawed. if they're not gonna do anything about it, then why outlaw it?

If it's outlawed, why'd it happen to begin with?

And, it may be outlawed here, but in other parts of the world, it's not. That's what makes it so sickening.

If it's outlawed, why'd it happen to begin with?

And, it may be outlawed here, but in other parts of the world, it's not. That's what makes it so sickening.

rape, murder, speeding, assault, steroid doping, DUI, etc. are illegal in America. then why'd it happen to begin with?

let us not forget that segregation, child labor, and spousal abuse were declared illegal until much later in America and it took some while for it to be fully-instilled into society to understand that it is illegal and you will be held accountable for it.

They just outlawed fatwa only 8 months ago. I'm very glad that they took a right step toward to this step and I understand that it takes time for society to fully understand it.

They never said that any punishment was levied against the rapist.

The poor child, she was punished - murdered - for being brutalized.

Nothing done to her evil relative. He effectively killed her. He alone is responsible for her murder by his act of brutality. There were others, the arbitrators, who made the decision that this child was to be punished, but he knew what the consequences would be for his actions against her. She would be beaten mercilessly and he would be blameless.

This must be a very effective deterrent against women reporting rape. What woman would report a rape knowing that she could be beaten, stoned or killed?

This is what you get when religion is used to determine law.

While I understand that, but we have to understand that some religion isn't really a religion at all. All one has to do is to look at the behavior of a group to make that determination. Beliefs is one thing, but the action says something else entirely. People use "religion" as a crutch to control people.

True religion employs neither of these things as described in the news article.

While I agree that religion is used frequently as a control mechanism, I fail to see how some religions are religions. Just because the belief system does not agree with yours doesn't mean it is not a religion to those that subscribe to that belief system. All religions have a common denominator. They were used to explain things that, at the time, there was not enough scientific knowledge to explain.

Inequity for women

Govt asked to explain failure to stop fatwa

I am so disgusted by the way that they treated a poor girl.

I so agree. This is just one of the things that can happen under the current laws that clearly hold women and children are possessions. It is not just the middle east...in parts of Africa young girls are being circumcized resulting in
infection and death, and in Rio men are still allowed to set their wives on fire should they ask for a divorce or complain to a court or hospital about the husbands beatings and control. Many of these laws such a fatwa were written many years ago when women and children were worth less then livestock. In some areas that is still true...I pray for that child who suffered a rape and then was publically killed. I hope some day we can all see each other as the precious beings that we are.. this brings to mind a quote I heard recently at a rally regarding out involvement in Iraq....." It is hard to convince people, you are killing them for their own good."Peace always M ♥

While I agree that religion is used frequently as a control mechanism, I fail to see how some religions are religions. Just because the belief system does not agree with yours doesn't mean it is not a religion to those that subscribe to that belief system. All religions have a common denominator. They were used to explain things that, at the time, there was not enough scientific knowledge to explain.
There are some things that science can never explain.

There are some things that science can never explain.

I prefer to believe that there are some things that science hasn't explain yet.

But that has nothing to do with the fact that all religions have in common that religion was used to explain that which was not able to be explained with knowledge of science.

I prefer to believe that there are some things that science hasn't explain yet.

But that has nothing to do with the fact that all religions have in common that religion was used to explain that which was not able to be explained with knowledge of science.
Unlike you, I wouldn't presume to speak for all religions. All I can say is, not all religions are about answering scientific questions but are about man's relationship to God, and man's purpose on earth. Spiritual matters are not dependent on science.

There is no mention in the article of the police arresting the rapist.

There is no mention in the article of the police arresting the rapist.

the article said that they are investigating on not one but people involved in fatwa.

one thing people should understand is that nothing moves fast especially in Muslim world.

the article said that they are investigating on not one but people involved in fatwa.

one thing people should understand is that nothing moves fast especially in Muslim world.
Really? Read this:

"The reports said Hena was raped by her 40-year-old relative Mahbub on Sunday. Next day, a fatwa was announced at a village arbitration that she must be given 100 lashes. She fell unconscious after nearly 80 lashes."

Apparently the Muslim world can move fast when it wants to.

Really? Read this:

"The reports said Hena was raped by her 40-year-old relative Mahbub on Sunday. Next day, a fatwa was announced at a village arbitration that she must be given 100 lashes. She fell unconscious after nearly 80 lashes."

Apparently the Muslim world can move fast when it wants to.

fatwa is easy. there's no trial. there's no hearing. nothing. women are guilty until proven innocent. that's why it's outlawed and obsoleted.

The High Court yesterday ordered district officials in Shariatpur to explain why they failed to protect 14-year-old rape victim Hena from being whipped to death as per a fatwa on Monday.

The deputy commissioner, the superintendent of police of Shariatpur and the thana nirbahi officer of Naria upazila -- where the incident took place--will have to report to the HC in 15 days how it happened although the court (HC) had eight months ago declared fatwa illegal and a punishable offence.

In a suo moto rule, the HC directed them also to report what steps they have taken in this regard.

An HC bench comprised of Justice AHM Shamsuddin Chowdhury Manik and Justice Sheikh Md Zakir Hossain issued the rule following press reports on the killing of Hena.

Meanwhile, another HC bench yesterday directed the law enforcement agencies to submit a report to it within three weeks on what steps have been taken following this incident in the light of its judgement on extra-judicial punishment.

The bench comprised of Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain and Justice Nazrul Islam Talukder also ordered the information ministry to run a media campaign to create awareness among people against extra-judicial punishment.

The bench headed by Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain on July 8 last year delivered the verdict declaring illegal all kinds of extra-judicial punishment including those in the name of fatwa at local arbitrations.

Following three writ petitions, the court directed the authorities concerned to take punitive action against people involved in enforcing fatwa against women.

It also observed that infliction of brutal punishment including caning, whipping and beating at local salish [arbitration] by persons devoid of judicial authority constitutes violation of the constitutional rights.

Barristers Rabia Bhuiyan, Sara Hossain and Mahbub Shafique, and advocate KM Hafizul Alam, lawyers for the writ petitioners, yesterday placed the judgement to the bench following the incident involving Hena.

Ain O Salish Kendra (ASK), a human rights watchdog, expressed deep concern and shock yesterday at the killing of teenage rape victim Hena.

It demanded punitive action against those who enforced fatwa concerning her.

The ASK called upon the government to take effective steps to stop recurrence of such incidents.

have some faith.

rape, murder, speeding, assault, steroid doping, DUI, etc. are illegal in America. then why'd it happen to begin with?

It's all wrong. But, why'd the fatwa happen to begin with? Why not go after the rapist? This CHILD was whipped to death because someone saw fit to sanction the punishment. It's backwards, Jiro. Not only that, but it's STILL happening in other parts of the world LEGALLY. WHY? Because someone puts things in a book, and, laws are written around those things? It's WRONG and MOST of the time they get away with it.

He lost me part-way, too, Jillio.

fatwa is easy. there's no trial. there's no hearing. nothing. women are guilty until proven innocent. that's why it's outlawed and obsoleted.
Outlawed? Maybe. Obsolete? Not yet.

have some faith.
In who?

BTW, what happened to your shift key? Or are you doing the e. e. cummings thing?

Just because there is a law against this, does that make everything OK?

Simply because there needs to be a law says something about their society.

It's all wrong. But, why'd the fatwa happen to begin with? Why not go after the rapist? This CHILD was whipped to death because someone saw fit to sanction the punishment. It's backwards, Jiro. Not only that, but it's STILL happening in other parts of the world LEGALLY. WHY? Because someone puts things in a book, and, laws are written around those things? It's WRONG and MOST of the time they get away with it.

fatwa is outlawed in that country. period. that's why the court is looking for those responsible. they're going after not just rapist but people who are involved.

Don't worry about the other parts of the world. There are laws in our books that even modern country find it very odd or extremely offensive such as... death penalty and abortion so let's not get judgmental here.

BTW, what happened to your shift key? Or are you doing the e. e. cummings thing?

O.o

I'm not sure I follow? that flew way past over my head ¯\(°_o)/¯

O.o

I'm not sure I follow? that flew way past over my head ¯\(°_o)/¯
Until half way thru your previous reply to Oceanbreeze there were no capital letters in your posts.

Back