5 reasons to consider using a suppressor/silencer

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
In Norway a person can walk into a gun store and buy a firearm silencer without filling out paperwork and leave with it minutes later. And why not? After all, silencers, perhaps more accurately described as sound suppressors, reduce noise and prevent damage to shooters’ ears, mitigate recoil, can increase accuracy and generally make shooting more pleasurable for all concerned. But thanks to the ruthless actions of outlaw Al Capone more than 80 years ago—and the anti-gun politics of today—law-abiding Americans face unreasonable scrutiny when buying a simple firearm accessory that should be as commonplace as ear muffs. . .

Five Reasons To Own A Silencer

• Greater Safety. . .
  • Happier Neighbors. . .
  • Ethical Hunting. . .
  • Effective Defense. . .
  • Enhanced Accuracy. . .

More:

5 reasons to consider a suppressor

In Norway a person can walk into a gun store and buy a firearm silencer without filling out paperwork and leave with it minutes later. And why not? After all, silencers, perhaps more accurately described as sound suppressors, reduce noise and prevent damage to shooters’ ears, mitigate recoil, can increase accuracy and generally make shooting more pleasurable for all concerned. But thanks to the ruthless actions of outlaw Al Capone more than 80 years ago—and the anti-gun politics of today—law-abiding Americans face unreasonable scrutiny when buying a simple firearm accessory that should be as commonplace as ear muffs. . .

Five Reasons To Own A Silencer

• Greater Safety. . .
  • Happier Neighbors. . .
  • Ethical Hunting. . .
  • Effective Defense. . .
  • Enhanced Accuracy. . .

More:

5 reasons to consider a suppressor

Not sure I agree with enhanced accuracy aspect of it... What does suppressors have to do with the ethics of hunting?

Not sure I agree with enhanced accuracy aspect of it... What does suppressors have to do with the ethics of hunting?
If you click on the link it gives the details. I posted only the outline.

I think I would rather heard the shot of the gun so I will know not to go into the woods . I took Finlay to the park once and someone shooting a gun , I am not sure if was hunting season or not but I just let my dog do his business and went back home instead of taking a walk in the woods . Someone could had mistaken my white hat as a deer tail !

My state just legalized them for hunting. I'm planning to send in my paperwork soon and build my own. All guns should be silenced. It's a public safety/nuisance issue. Just like we have mufflers on cars.

I agree with wdys whole point of gun it go bang then kill.Makes no difference to not hear it but for others going hunting or hear gun fights you get away,It makes safety sense for killing tool make noise..
Murders get away if no give time bang as for ear damage that's already happened,to prevent getting worse don't use a gun,would think public safety be worse with silencer

I had a friend that lived in New Hampshire and her car broke down and she had walk through the woods during hunting season and she could hear guns going off . She told me she was yelling at the top of her lungs " I am a person pleases don't shoot me!" She said this the whole way home , if she wasn't able to hear the guns she would not had been as careful trying to get back home to get her car towed . There was no cell phones them.

I agree with wdys whole point of gun it go bang then kill.Makes no difference to not hear it but for others going hunting or hear gun fights you get away,It makes safety sense for killing tool make noise..
Murders get away if no give time bang as for ear damage that's already happened,to prevent getting worse don't use a gun,would think public safety be worse with silencer

:laugh2: why would a murderer care is they are allowed to use a silencer. They are murdering some one. I don't think they are like "wow, maybe I shouldn't be using this silencer. I could get in trouble!"

I had a friend that lived in New Hampshire and her car broke down and she had walk through the woods during hunting season and she could hear guns going off . She told me she was yelling at the top of her lungs " I am a person pleases don't shoot me!" She said this the whole way home , if she wasn't able to hear the guns she would not had been as careful trying to get back home to get her car towed . There was no cell phones them.

Having an orange vest handy durring hunting season would have made her much safer. Not allowing silencers just to remind people it's hunting season seems extream.

I see lots of hikers in some of the places I hunt and there are always gun shots in the woods of maine durring hunting season. I have never heard anyone yelling "please don't shoot me" while hunting accidents do happen I don't see how sound would prevent any of them. Mostly a hunter fires one shot and by the time you'd hear it the accident has happened.

Plus we often trade a little safety for peace and quiet. Loud cars are easier to hear comming. I bet fewer pedestrians would get hit if we had louder cars. I bet people wouldn't run generators inside if they had no mufflers. Motorcyclists would get noticed more.

Ive heard a lot of hunters say they would shoot someone for tresspassing or scaring the deer away... lucky her.

:laugh2: why would a murderer care is they are allowed to use a silencer. They are murdering some one. I don't think they are like "wow, maybe I shouldn't be using this silencer. I could get in trouble!"
There are always one-time-use homemade options anyway for the murderers.

There are always one-time-use homemade options anyway for the murderers.
You can solder on a small oil filter for like $6. Works for many shots. There was a company that sold an adapter to do it with the proper paper work.

Oh, that's silly; the vast, vast majority of gun owners are decent, law-abiding citizens. Why are you giving audience to the teeny minority?

I'd take her story (or your story) a very tiny grain of salt. a very very very tiny one.

first of all... why was she going deep in the woods after her car broke down???? that is such an illogical course of action. she'd have to be very deep in the wood to encounter a hunting in progress and I can't really see how can a hunter mistaken her as a deer unless she walks like deer, moves like deer, and looks like deer.

I think I would rather heard the shot of the gun so I will know not to go into the woods . I took Finlay to the park once and someone shooting a gun , I am not sure if was hunting season or not but I just let my dog do his business and went back home instead of taking a walk in the woods . Someone could had mistaken my white hat as a deer tail !

if you're really that worrisome.... simple - either stay away from a wooded area known for hunting or wear orange vest/hat for yourself and your dog. beside... you should know which wooded area is for hunting since it's a local knowledge and there should be hunting warning sign posted everywhere.

do you really live close to a hunting zone???

I can't really see how can a hunter mistaken you with white hat as a deer tail. I really can't see it. do you seriously think a hunter would just look for a white hat instead of looking at the whole body?

if you're really that worrisome.... simple - either stay away from a wooded area known for hunting or wear orange vest/hat for yourself and your dog. beside... you should know which wooded area is for hunting since it's a local knowledge and there should be hunting warning sign posted everywhere.

do you really live close to a hunting zone???

I can't really see how can a hunter mistaken you with white hat as a deer tail. I really can't see it. do you seriously think a hunter would just look for a white hat instead of looking at the whole body?

Around here hunting is allowed everywhere except when posted and there are a couple instances of buck fever every year where some moron shoots at moving bushes and hits their hunting budy but it is very very rare. I don't see how disallowing silencers would affect that though.

They originally outlawed silencers for hunting around here "to stop pochers" but apparently they didn't get the memo.

A lot of hunters say that? :shock:
When you are sitting in the elements from dusk to dawn and some bimbo comes trudging through your area, might as well kiss the whole day goodbye. Human noises and scents....deer wont come anywhere near. That pisses a hunter off, sitting for hours in the cold, rain for hours motionless and then her comes Tiny Tim frollicing through the forrest. BAM ! lol

Back