5 reasons to consider using a suppressor/silencer

I'd take her story (or your story) a very tiny grain of salt. a very very very tiny one.

first of all... why was she going deep in the woods after her car broke down???? that is such an illogical course of action. she'd have to be very deep in the wood to encounter a hunting in progress and I can't really see how can a hunter mistaken her as a deer unless she walks like deer, moves like deer, and looks like deer.

some are trigger happy, dont identify the target before shooting. Its there, true

if you're really that worrisome.... simple - either stay away from a wooded area known for hunting or wear orange vest/hat for yourself and your dog. beside... you should know which wooded area is for hunting since it's a local knowledge and there should be hunting warning sign posted everywhere.

do you really live close to a hunting zone???

I can't really see how can a hunter mistaken you with white hat as a deer tail. I really can't see it. do you seriously think a hunter would just look for a white hat instead of looking at the whole body?

I have never seen a hunting "zone" posted, either it be public or private... its just everyday woods, forrest or farmland. You check with authorities or property owners to see if the area is legal to hunt and have at it. I have however seen "No Hunting" zones posted. But never a hunting allowed posting.

Around here hunting is allowed everywhere except when posted and there are a couple instances of buck fever every year where some moron shoots at moving bushes and hits their hunting budy but it is very very rare. I don't see how disallowing silencers would affect that though.

They originally outlawed silencers for hunting around here "to stop pochers" but apparently they didn't get the memo.

Beat me to all this, but yes, silencers are somewhat banned, you have to get a permit to buy one and have a valid reason to own one here in Missouri. You cant just walk in and say Ill take that, nope. Even the home made ones, you have to let authorities know you have/made one otherwise if youre caught, its heavy fines.

I live very close to where there are many hunters, and have to be sure to wear my blaze orange when I take a walk along the road, I generally don't cover my head though, my girlfriend cautions me that my white hair is dangerous and I may be mistaken for a deer. I have begun to cover my head now.

Jonny, maybe you are too young to remember the lady who was killed accidentally by a hunter when she went out into her yard to warn them away from her home while waving her arms with white mittens on. I think that was in Maine, maybe New Hampshire. Anyway, it does happen!

Sorry this is off the subject of silencers. I do have a question, do silencers obliterate all noise or is there a faint sound?

I live very close to where there are many hunters, and have to be sure to wear my blaze orange when I take a walk along the road, I generally don't cover my head though, my girlfriend cautions me that my white hair is dangerous and I may be mistaken for a deer. I have begun to cover my head now.

Jonny, maybe you are too young to remember the lady who was killed accidentally by a hunter when she went out into her yard to warn them away from her home while waving her arms with white mittens on. I think that was in Maine, maybe New Hampshire. Anyway, it does happen!

Sorry this is off the subject of silencers. I do have a question, do silencers obliterate all noise or is there a faint sound?
sounds like a firecracker... not like the movies where it goes "pffft" its still a nice pop, just not super loud

some are trigger happy, dont identify the target before shooting. Its there, true

I'm sure it has happened but nowadays... not much.

line of fire is definitely an issue.

I have never seen a hunting "zone" posted, either it be public or private... its just everyday woods, forrest or farmland. You check with authorities or property owners to see if the area is legal to hunt and have at it. I have however seen "No Hunting" zones posted. But never a hunting allowed posting.

it's something like this -

Hunting-Season-Wear-Orange-Sign-K-8264.gif

51DBJkZ0qjL._SX355_.jpg

but you're right that such sign is not really posted much everywhere especially in gun-friendly states.

In Norway a person can walk into a gun store and buy a firearm silencer without filling out paperwork and leave with it minutes later. And why not? After all, silencers, perhaps more accurately described as sound suppressors, reduce noise and prevent damage to shooters’ ears, mitigate recoil, can increase accuracy and generally make shooting more pleasurable for all concerned. But thanks to the ruthless actions of outlaw Al Capone more than 80 years ago—and the anti-gun politics of today—law-abiding Americans face unreasonable scrutiny when buying a simple firearm accessory that should be as commonplace as ear muffs. . .

Five Reasons To Own A Silencer

• Greater Safety. . .
  • Happier Neighbors. . .
  • Ethical Hunting. . .
  • Effective Defense. . .
  • Enhanced Accuracy. . .

More:

5 reasons to consider a suppressor

A 6th reason would be hearing safety. I'd love one myself as I think they'd make range time a blast, but alas, not allowed in The People's Republic of Massachusetts....

Laura

Not sure if I remember but I do know the story. That type of shooting is very very rare. Usually it's one hunter shooting another and usually they know each other. It can happen though obviously.

If you're only going to wear one item of orange I would recomend the hat. When ever I see other hunters it's always the hat first. Sticks out above the brush.

Silenced 22s can be pretty quiet but sonocativo is right most sound about like a firecracker. Loud enough to notice if you're next to it but not if you're a couple blocks away.

If you click on the link it gives the details. I posted only the outline.

I read it... But I have also used them and have spoken in depth with other users... There are some pros and cons to suppressors...

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using AllDeaf App mobile app

In Norway a person can walk into a gun store and buy a firearm silencer without filling out paperwork and leave with it minutes later. And why not? After all, silencers, perhaps more accurately described as sound suppressors, reduce noise and prevent damage to shooters’ ears, mitigate recoil, can increase accuracy and generally make shooting more pleasurable for all concerned. But thanks to the ruthless actions of outlaw Al Capone more than 80 years ago—and the anti-gun politics of today—law-abiding Americans face unreasonable scrutiny when buying a simple firearm accessory that should be as commonplace as ear muffs. . .

Five Reasons To Own A Silencer

• Greater Safety. . .
  • Happier Neighbors. . .
  • Ethical Hunting. . .
  • Effective Defense. . .
  • Enhanced Accuracy. . .

More:

5 reasons to consider a suppressor

I would love it if you could explain how does a silencer provides greater safety, ethical hunting and enhanced accuracy?

Back