26 charged in VRS fraud

Almost video interpreters are Russian translators to use RSL for Russian/Ukrainian deaf callers. My friend was very disappointed of his good friend of this deaf interpreter.

:slap: There is no such thing as deaf interpreter.

What? I don't really understand this, because I thought vp interpeters would be able to call domestic calls only. Those Russians are hard of hearing (who are fluent with phone) to interpret for deaf customers in ASL, am I correct?

They are hard of hearing that can speak Russian. Deaf Callers can call out of USA by using Russian VRS to hearing Russians or Ukrainians but they can't get incoming calls from hearing foreigns.

I know one of video interpreter. I had met him last two week ago.

Yes there is! I know few Interpreters that re Deaf!

Sometimes there are Deaf person that has intellegence challenged and wouldn't understand the Interpreter, so they get another interpreter to translate to this challenged person so he/she can understand. It happens mostly in courts.

Here is link for you and others to learn :)
Intermediary Interpreters (Certified Deaf Interpreters)
:eek3: Quite intresting, indeed to say I'm suprised. But not for VRS as it requires to hear the hearing person via relay. If so, how is it possible?

:slap: There is no such thing as deaf interpreter.

You won't believe this, there are deaf interpreters around

If a deaf person is at court, he know nothing much abt english, but very fluent in ASL, there will be 2 interpreters

One interpreter will sign exact what judge say, then second interpreter (tend to be deaf interpreter) interpret "see" to ASL

This is America, deaf people are lucky to have two interpreters!

Tayler's Blog

FCC: No prison for 26 charged defendants?
November 25, 2009
I’ve been in middle of a cross-country move, and with Thanksgiving dinner being prepared, I’ve slowed down. Being busy, the headlines of the 26 people being arrested did not escape my attention. Of course it did not; it’s probably the biggest news in the deaf community since the Gallaudet protests of 2006. It certainly ranks one of the biggest news in the deaf community of the last couple decades.

Amongst some of the discussions were how long the defendants could be jailed for. I myself speculated that they could be jailed for 5-10 years. In another discussion some days later, a friend said that someone told her they could be jailed for up to 20 years. Clearly, the length of sentences is a subject of interest.

Since I’ve had more time on my hands, I took the time to read the FCC press release. Of utmost interest was found near the ending:

All of the indictments seek criminal forfeiture from each of the charged defendants.

I immediately looked up the definition for “criminal forfeiture”. It means the government, if found guilty, would be seizing property that was acquired as part of the crime. Property could include houses, cars, computers and televisions – any big ticket items that recovers the money frauded from the FCC. These items will more likely appear on government auctions.

How much each defendant are found to have frauded will determine how much property is seized. For some, it may mean all and every property. It’ll be interesting to see how the government calculates this amount. How does the DOJ accurately estimate how many fraudulent minutes each defendant were responsible for?

Since the FCC press release did not elaborate more on what would be sought, I’m left to speculate that the charged defendants will not face any prison sentences.

y3 FCC: No prison for 26 charged defendants?

Much more new information from this news link:

Fraud charges may nix Viable deal

- SnapVRS is re-considering the purchase of Viable.

- 114 former and current Viable employees are suing Viable over loss of pay and benefits.

- How the Viable and its partners allegedly conducted their fraud activities.

You will find it interesting.

Here's the list of PDF copies of indictments against owners and employees of those mentioned VRS companies that you can read online:

Indictment #1: United States of America v. John T.C. Yeh, Joseph Yeh, Anthony Mowl, & Donald Tropp

Google Docs

Indictment #2: United States of America v. Hawkins, Berke, Berke, Goetz and Simmons

Google Docs

Indictment #3: United States of America v. Azrelyant, Finkle, Zfati, Strusa et. al.

Google Docs

Indictment #4: United States of America v. Buscaron, Fernandez, Hutchinson, Bacallo, & Valle

Google Docs

Indictment #5: United States of America v. Pena, Rubeck & Frankel

Google Docs

Indictment #6: United States of America v. Verson, Thompson & Martinez

Google Docs

Indicitment #7 United States of America v. Larry Berke

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...DgtMTZjMC00NWRlLTkwNjEtNjRhOGQ1MDM0Mjgz&hl=en

Hey Royale....

Two days ago, I read 2 of 7 different doc. I told my wife about it. We have no idea about Grand Jury in Camden, NJ. That's not far from my town.

Your posted: they have 7 different docs. I noticed that Court in Camden, NJ. I wonder, did they bring all people to attend Grand Jury at Camden, NJ. Cost of taxpayer to bring all people to Philadelphia Airport.

I am sickened that they are abusing that system and if proven guilty, I hope they go to jail!!! We the deaf find VRS extremely useful and even life saving and to have a company engage in fraudelent billing so they could make more money for themselves makes me mad!

Yeah that is how I feel :(

Anthony Mowl, the former assistant vice president of business development for Viable Communications Inc. (Viable), and Donald Tropp, the former human resources manager for Viable, pleaded guilty today to engaging in a conspiracy to defraud the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) Video Relay Service (VRS) program of more than $2.5 million, announced Assistant Attorney General Lanny A. Breuer of the Criminal Division.

Welcome to the United States Department of Justice

Plead guilty is NOT great way to go because of possible length of prison and/or huge fine. If you plead innocent, the attorneys would fight for the reduction of sentence and/or fine once they’re found guilty. In any circumstance, never, ever plead guilty anyway even though if you are really guilty. It is all about negotiation. That’s pure and simple in the court of law.

It really depends, sometimes plea guilty involves negotiation and can get away or get most charges dropped, I have seen cases where they would plea guilty and get reduction in sentence if they are willing to cooperate.

Lets put this way, I see two guys, Anthony Mowl and other guy pleaded guilty, it is possible that they may have negiotated with DA (Possible using as testify against John Yeh whose did plea not guilty, and other who are curently indicted as well).

I must say, they (who are involved) are STUPID!

I also am not worry about VRS industry, FCC is not interested in shutting them down at this time, same goes to congress as they are not planning anything against VRS industry. What they are doing now is trying to find ways to prevent future fraud.

Plead guilty is NOT great way to go because of possible length of prison and/or huge fine. If you plead innocent, the attorneys would fight for the reduction of sentence and/or fine once they’re found guilty. In any circumstance, never, ever plead guilty anyway even though if you are really guilty. It is all about negotiation. That’s pure and simple in the court of law.

I also am not worry about VRS industry, FCC is not interested in shutting them down at this time, same goes to congress as they are not planning anything against VRS industry. What they are doing now is trying to find ways to prevent future fraud.

That's good to know.

Yes there is! I know few Interpreters that re Deaf!

Sometimes there are Deaf person that has intellegence challenged and wouldn't understand the Interpreter, so they get another interpreter to translate to this challenged person so he/she can understand. It happens mostly in courts.

Here is link for you and others to learn :)
Intermediary Interpreters (Certified Deaf Interpreters)

I knew a Deaf woman who acted as a terp for a deaf-blind woman at the First Bapist Church in Richmond. The Minister of that church is Deaf himself so Helen (the deaf woman) would watch him and then relay the message tacitly to the deaf-blind woman.

Good to know.

I must say this doens't look good for John Yeh. Mary used to be my teacher at MSSD in 1984. I'm class of 85.

AMHeard that John Yeh is jailed in NJ. He was arrested on an attempted theft in MD because he went to his old office to collect his personal property. He was told not to enter his office while he is on trial, but he went there and rumor had it that SnapVrs CEO called the cops and they arrested him. Called him to show up at NJ and he was arrested on spot and jailed. Rumor also had it that he is currently in jail. Check the news.

myVRS Relay Central LLC Blog: » BREAKING NEWS: John Yeh Arrested in Jail

News source???

Back