2 Year Old Cooper Hear's Mommy's Voice First Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted

Some deaf people wished that their parents had them implanted. I have seen both sides on this.

true. when they wished they had their parents had them implanted when they were upbringing in the hearing environment without experiencing or tasting of the Deaf culture. My hub doesn't mind if he had CI when he was little because he was upbringing in the hearing world. But he did wish that he grew up in the Deaf culture then the CI issue could be different story. Just pick one that works for either. He did learn ASL at a much later but he did wish he had ASL in his earlier age. What does it tell, both at a full tool box is the best thing.

I support your decision to choose CI because you made an informed choice. It is sad to see most hearing parents "force" their Deaf children to get CIs when they are very young and do not know the cons and pros of CIs and aware of the risks involved. Hearing parents hope they are miracle!! Oh, fucking please! That's what annoying me the most. :eek3:
They are... From 4 senses to 5 senses.... :cool2:

But... Did her parents make a choice, or could their daughter hear with a hearing aid...??
I believe coolgirl was hoh... Still is. One CI. one HA.. (correct me if I'm wrong)
So... CI was never an option probably...
So... Her parents never needed to make a choice.. Their daughter could hear..

As for the parens making a decision NOT to implant their baby/Toddler after looking into pros and cons...
Excellent....

They are... From 4 senses to 5 senses.... :cool2:

But... Did her parents make a choice, or could their daughter hear with a hearing aid...??
I believe coolgirl was hoh... Still is. One CI. one HA.. (correct me if I'm wrong)
So... CI was never an option probably...
So... Her parents never needed to make a choice.. Their daughter could hear..

As for the parens making a decision NOT to implant their baby/Toddler after looking into pros and cons...
Excellent....

2 CI, and you got the wrong birth year earlier. She just graduated high school.

Wirelessly posted

Some deaf people wished that their parents had them implanted. I have seen both sides on this.

That is a good point. We even see those differences of opinion here on AD. Those differences of opinion should be respected. Just like not all hearing people are the same, not all d/Deaf people are the same.

2 CI, and you got the wrong birth year earlier. She just graduated high school.

June 2008:
:wave:Hi,
My name is kirsten......
I can talk pretty good because i have speech therapy. and I have a CI and Hearing aid. I had my CI surgery when i was 9. and i'm 14 but i'll turn 15 in august 26th. Let me tell you a bit abt my history.

Oh, I'm fully deaf in my left ear where i have my CI, and i'm hard of hearing in my right ear, which i have my hearing aid on.
Guess she started with a HA.
And yes.. Not from 1990. From 1993

Excellent....

That's all anyone can ask... My advice is listen to the doctors and research the results.

That is a good point. We even see those differences of opinion here on AD. Those differences of opinion should be respected. Just like not all hearing people are the same, not all d/Deaf people are the same.

The opinions usually are respected by others here on AD when the implantee says they got implanted and wanted to get a CI. Except if they start bashing stuff in their post like "people on SSDI" or "ASL grammar" examples.

The major problem most people have here with is people (whatever status they hold) coming to tell others what they believe could be their best options for their children like they know what's best (usually children, not adults): ie "I would choose to get implanted in your case." "I don't have a CI, but I think it's a good choice to make." "I freaking hate CI's and would not touch them with a 10 foot pole."

If this was deafcircle.org, we'd (staff) would probably ban all hearing people as they have no relevance to the website. Since it's alldeaf, we let anybody hoh/Deaf/deaf stay here, whether they are CI, oral, ASL, SimCom, Cued Speech, or whatnot.

I would prefer a vision of neutrality, specifically in one example that have been given: "I would not implant until a certain age" is being fairly neutral, as the child ultimately gets to make the decision.

Suggesting being neutral is saying that both sides gets to say their piece, is a just nothing more than continued grounds for arguments. It's just a circular logic and one or two people end up banned for breaking the rules at some point.
And I would say, most people don't like arguing for long.

The opinions usually are respected by others here on AD when the implantee says they got implanted and wanted to get a CI. Except if they start bashing stuff in their post like "people on SSDI" or "ASL grammar" examples.

The major problem most people have here with is people (whatever status they hold) coming to tell others what they believe could be their best options for their children like they know what's best (usually children, not adults): ie "I would choose to get implanted in your case." "I don't have a CI, but I think it's a good choice to make." "I freaking hate CI's and would not touch them with a 10 foot pole."

If this was deafcircle.org, we'd (staff) would probably ban all hearing people as they have no relevance to the website. Since it's alldeaf, we let anybody hoh/Deaf/deaf stay here, whether they are CI, oral, ASL, SimCom, Cued Speech, or whatnot.

I would prefer a vision of neutrality, specifically in one example that have been given: "I would not implant until a certain age" is being fairly neutral, as the child ultimately gets to make the decision.

Suggesting being neutral is saying that both sides gets to say their piece, is a just nothing more than continued grounds for arguments. It's just a circular logic and one or two people end up banned for breaking the rules at some point.

Like. except I wouldn't consider...

....to be neutral. That is anti-CI for babies and I think that is insensitive to parents/members who have made the decision to implant their babies. I really feel the neutral position if hoping all parents will make an informed decision.

That's just me.

he looks so confused

Well, never hearing anything, of course he would look "confused"...as if thinking..."what was that?"...Even hearies at times hear a sound...and ask "what's that noise"?

Like. except I wouldn't consider...

....to be neutral. That is anti-CI for babies and I think that is insensitive to parents/members who have made the decision to implant their babies. I really feel the neutral position if hoping all parents will make an informed decision.

That's just me.
A child making their own choice at a later date whether or not they want an implant is not being neutral and that's anti-CI?
I suppose that is your view, but I am not going to argue with you to change your opinion.

Implanting babies is an argument that will never have the correct choice to made by the staff just as you will never reach any consensus on gay marriage or abortion.

But you also let these hearing people with no relevance stay here.

But you also let these hearing people with no relevance stay here.

Yes, we let them stay and have a chance to participate to be fair to any human interested in joining.

There are no rules to ban hearing people here unless they are violating common harassing/provoking rules.

If they want to bring arguments, we won't hold them back until they break rules. However, anyone should know better than to take their bait if they are here to cause problems - even no matter how juicy their bait looks.

A child making their own choice at a later date whether or not they want an implant is not being neutral and that's anti-CI?
I suppose that is your view, but I am not going to argue with you to change your opinion.

No, not anti-CI....it's anti-implanting babies and we do have members who have implanted babies so IMO saying "let the child decide" is insensitive to those parents.. I am not saying the the opinion is harsh like many opinions are....just that it's not neutral

Implanting babies is an argument that will never have the correct choice to made by the staff just as you will never reach any consensus on gay marriage or abortion.

I agree 100%. That is why I believe the neutral position is hoping parents make an informed decision on CIs whether they decide to implant or not. And then hoping that the decision work out for the best...no matter which decision they make.

No, not anti-CI....it's anti-implanting babies and we do have members who have implanted babies so IMO saying "let the child decide" is insensitive to those parents.. I am not saying the the opinion is harsh like many opinions are....just that it's not neutral

I agree with you.

I agree 100%. That is why I believe the neutral position is hoping parents make an informed decision on CIs whether they decide to implant or not. And then hoping that the decision work out for the best...no matter which decision they make.

Absolutely. If parents are going into it "blindly" then that is objectionable. If parents are thoroughly researching the pros and cons, and making an informed choice then that is all one could ask for.

the reasoning is still same.

Absolutely. If parents are going into it "blindly" then that is objectionable. If parents are thoroughly researching the pros and cons, and making an informed choice then that is all one could ask for.

still not neutral.

Wirelessly posted

To expand a bit further on this point, those children who were not implanted and got one as an older adolescent/adult are at a disadvantage. Those deaf children may grow up and be upset that their parents didn't make that choice for them.

Children who are implanted at younger ages (I'm not talking infant), have brains that are still forming which allows them to make meaningful connections to the sounds and language surrounding them. For an adult or older adolescent, their brain has already been established, and it takes a lot more work and effort to make meaningful sense of the sounds and language in their environment.

So, there really is no one "right" answer for every single deaf person in this world as evidenced by the differing views here from those in the d/Deaf community.

To expand a bit further on this point, those children who were not implanted and got one as an older adolescent/adult are at a disadvantage. Those deaf children may grow up and be upset that their parents didn't make that choice for them.

Children who are implanted at younger ages (I'm not talking infant), have brains that are still forming which allows them to make meaningful connections to the sounds and language surrounding them. For an adult or older adolescent, their brain has already been established, and it takes a lot more work and effort to make meaningful sense of the sounds and language in their environment.
you just basically proved that it's a biased decision because you're applying your own hearing value to it. when we're born deaf, we've already adapted to it so we don't panic over it like hearing parents.

So, there really is no one "right" answer for every single deaf person in this world.
I believe overwhelming consensus is that it should be ASL first and then let a deaf person should decide for oneself to opt for CI or not.

still not neutral.

If a parent is making connections with the medical community regarding CI's, doing research on the benefits and drawbacks, and seeking out input from varying members of the d/Deaf community, then they ate in a position to make an informed neutral decision.

If a parent is making connections with the medical community regarding CI's, doing research on the benefits and drawbacks, and seeking out input from varying members of the d/Deaf community, then they ate in a position to make an informed neutral decision.

nope not really. I find it quite comical that you consider it as "neutral" when weighing on something. How is it neutral if you lean toward CI without getting your child's input in decision? There's something that weighing on your decision that led you to get a CI implantation therefore it is not neutral. It is very obvious that hearing parents put more value in hearing because of their biased hearing perspective and zero deaf perspective.

A neutral position would be letting one to decide for himself with all pros and cons at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back