Passenger caught on camera attacking Uber driver arrested, fired

How are Uber divers legal? I know in my state you are supposed to be trained, licensed and insured to run a taxi. How is that any different? Picking up strangers from a bar seems like a bad life choice to me. Taxi drivers are attacked all the time, it's a dangerous job.

Looks like maine just passed some regulations for Uber. At least they have to be insured now. Not sure what the driver qualifications are.

"The law requires Uber to pay a $10,000 yearly fee to Maine for its statewide permit. It also establishes driver qualification requirements and prohibits municipalities from adopting their own ordinances or regulations governing Uber and similar ridesharing services."

"
• $1 million minimum in bodily injury, death and property damage coverage while "engaged in a prearranged ride."

• A minimum of $50,000 per person and $100,000 per incident for bodily injury and death, and $25,000 for property damage while a driver is logged into the TNC's digital network but there is no passenger in the car.

• At least $2,000 medical payments coverage at all times."

http://www.mainebiz.biz/article/20150824/CURRENTEDITION/308199998/new-law-regulates-uber%E2%80%99s-ridesharing-services-in-maine

No one likes to drive drunk passengers but on the other hand, if we don't want drunk drivers on the road we need to have alternative means of getting them home from the bar.

I agree. I just think it should be taxis with that barrier from front to back.

I think people are becoming uber drivers and not knowing what they are getting into.

I think the barriers are good. Problem is, Uber drivers probably don't want their personal vehicles to look industrial.

I think the barriers are good. Problem is, Uber drivers probably don't want their personal vehicles to look industrial.

Then I guess this is the risk Uber drivers have to take using their personal vehicles to give strange people a ride. Some one could drunk and vomit all over the back seat . I would be concerned about how my face is going look than my car . It's easier to fix a car than a broken face and less painful too.

Agreed, that's one reason I think Uber is a bad idea. They do make removable barriers too but they are not very secure. Might thwart a drunk though.

I can't believe the Uber driver was surprise people get drunk so early at night. A drunk doesn't care what time it's I see people buying booze in the AM and they already been drinking enough.

I think people are becoming uber drivers and not knowing what they are getting into.

It also could be because they have no choice. They are unable to find a job so they become Uber drivers to make money.

When you don't have a job, sometimes you have to do something you don't want to do.

:hmm:...seriously, the video wasn't funny or right... but I :lol:'d watching it....grabbing the driver by the hair....

How are Uber divers legal? I know in my state you are supposed to be trained, licensed and insured to run a taxi. How is that any different? Picking up strangers from a bar seems like a bad life choice to me. Taxi drivers are attacked all the time, it's a dangerous job.

in NYC - uber drivers are required to get TLC license. in NJ - it is not required.

eh - only in big city where this kind of thing happens all the time.

beside.... many private cabs and town cars don't have barriers either.

Then I guess this is the risk Uber drivers have to take using their personal vehicles to give strange people a ride. Some one could drunk and vomit all over the back seat . I would be concerned about how my face is going look than my car . It's easier to fix a car than a broken face and less painful too.

simple - the uber driver can refuse to give ride to anyone they don't like once they arrive. and as for vomit in the backseat... Uber company will compensate the driver to have it professionally cleaned and will cover any damage.

several of my friends are deaf Uber drivers in NYC and San Francisco. I had a convo with them yesterday about it.

they wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.

but this driver..... he's got 2 Garmin car cameras looking at the road and inside... and even has a pepper spray ready to go... looks like he's had a few shares of mishaps.

Back