If you went fishing and caught a fish?

For surviving, yes. entertainment = maiming for fun = NO.

Fuzzy

entertainment? I call it keeping their ancient skills alive so that it's passed on for generations so that we won't be helpless and clueless if these modern conveniences that you take for granted are gone. in case you didn't know.... hunting for "entertainment" purpose aka wanton wastes is illegal.

let me ask you this - do you know how to hunt? skin animal? prepare animal?

Okay following your argument.... about catch and release being inhumane.

What do with wrong kind of fish caught?

What do with all fish caught over size or undersize limit?

Sorry to disagree but I got experience with fish hobby. Both fishing and keeping many kind of fish. I was a member of fishing club but I moved and lost interest as I dont live on the lake anymore.

Catch and release isnt inhumane. Ive caught the same fish few different times at different lakes. Yes youre right some fish will not handle stress well. But it is mostly deeper water fishing that kills the fiash regardless what you do due to rapid surfacing.
Most anglers are very good at removing hooks and are very concerned about their environment those days. .not like in the 80s and 90s. I do not find fishing line from today as it is made different than long time ago most of time its the old ones I find.

What is truly inhumane is the callous treatment of the fish or its environment

Ive seen people toss aside alive carp into parking lot to be run over, ive seen people use bombs to bomb the water and fish all around is dead or dying. What bothers me the most about people keeping fish is not killing them straightaway and store them but allow them to gasp for air laying there.

Just read my first post, please.

fuzzy

entertainment? I call it keeping their ancient skills alive so that it's passed on for generations so that we won't be helpless and clueless if these modern conveniences that you take for granted are gone. in case you didn't know.... hunting for "entertainment" purpose aka wanton wastes is illegal.

I said fishing not hunting.

and, I just wrote - if you catch fish to eat it later- fine. but to maim it's mouth and scales to "release it" = entertainment - NO.
You can very well keep your "ancient" skills by merely eating your fish.

and no I don't hunt or fish. why should I? are you, on the other hand, aware of the shameful food waste that is rampant in North America, and the rest of the world?

Food Waste

I recommend watching this documentary:

Just Eat It

why should I hunt or fish when there is plenty of food in the stores going to waste?
and don't worry, I am a grower, I may not die in case of disaster - I know how to grow things, and in case of nuclear disaster you won't be able to hunt or fish anyway. we both gonna die :)

Fuzzy

You gotta look at it both ways. Famers must protect the sheep and Chickens from Wolves. Farmers gotta make a living you know. Just like shooting crows outta the skies cause they steal corn from farmers.

But people are killing wolves when they have no livestock .

Yes entertainment . Someone was killing all the ducks in the pond for entertainment and just leaving the dead birds there. The ACO and police were trying to find the person or people b/c it illegal to hunt birds in off season and it was in a public place.

http://perezhilton.com/2014-07-01-c...rica-endangered-animals-petition#.VS2hsek5CM8

I see nothing wrong with hunting animals for food but to kill it for the trill of it is wrong to me.

Too bad for farmer. :giggle: He took over land. Farmer need learn how to outwit the wolf. Farmer need to be more clever and say sorry Wolf try again another day!

Shoot and kill is lazy farmer. Nature not reward lazy stupid farmer. Another will take it place. Perhaps nature will give farmer more deadly animal that wolf would have scared off Or eaten.

Nature lesson is wolf means less deer and moose and buffalo. Deer/moose kill most people annually vs any other animal combined.

Farmer kill wolf. Guess who kill farmer? The deer/moose who ran into truck driven by farmer that dead wolf would have ate for dinner earlier If not killed.

This is how cowboys deal with Wolves
RSsecrets_040212A.jpg

I said fishing not hunting.
same thing. hunting and fishing.

and, I just wrote - if you catch fish to eat it later- fine. but to maim it's mouth and scales to "release it" = entertainment - NO.
*cough* PETA

You can very well keep your "ancient" skills by merely eating your fish.
um.... you jumped all the way to the end... what about the beginning? like.. catching the fish? preparing the fish? cooking the fish? how does your fish end up on your plate for you to eat? lemme guess... you prefer a restaurant to do it for you. nice. gimme gimme gimme.

and no I don't hunt or fish. why should I? are you, on the other hand, aware of the shameful food waste that is rampant in North America, and the rest of the world?
why should I be shameful of other people's gluttony? majority of them do not fish nor hunt. that's why they're obese and out of touch with the reality.

so how is it my fault for these people's gluttony?

Food Waste

I recommend watching this documentary:

Just Eat It
irrelevant.

why should I hunt or fish when there is plenty of food in the stores going to waste?
and what if you're in somewhere there is no store like Alaska? Africa? oh yea... what was I thinking of? why would you be in those beautiful pristine places like those? ah... you're one of those self-entitled hypocritical city slickers...

and don't worry, I am a grower, I may not die in case of disaster - I know how to grow things, and in case of nuclear disaster you won't be able to hunt or fish anyway. we both gonna die :)

Fuzzy
growing food? you are wasting our water and depriving earth of nutrients for your consumption. why bother? there are plenty of food in the stores. eat'em up!

oh btw - in case of nuclear disaster... you might want to take a look at fishes near chernobyl accident... it's eatable.

in case of disaster... let's hope you won't starve to death while you wait for your food to grow.

Yes entertainment . Someone was killing all the ducks in the pond for entertainment and just leaving the dead birds there. The ACO and police were trying to find the person or people b/c it illegal to hunt birds in off season and it was in a public place.

http://perezhilton.com/2014-07-01-c...rica-endangered-animals-petition#.VS2hsek5CM8

I see nothing wrong with hunting animals for food but to kill it for the trill of it is wrong to me.

hence... illegal. unethical. immoral.

we're not talking about illegal activity. it's irrelevant. there will always be some sickos everywhere so what does that have to do with rest of us?

As both a hunter and a fisher(wo)man, I eat what I catch, if it's legal, otherwise I release it, and I eat what I hunt for, and I don't excessively hunt either. Yes, I could go buy it from the store, but why would I do that if I can get it fresh..? There is nothing better than fresh fish!

^ well said!
Last year I went to sport fishing in Key West, wow every 10 seconds I get fish guaranteed, so after two hours, the chef cook those fish I caught and serve me...... wow, very FRESH, and DELICIOUS!

I only maim fish mouths and scales if the fish voted for Obama. they usually aren't worth keeping anyway - they just want free beer.

Ahh.. I wondered if somebody would somehow connect fishing to politics....

Ahh.. I wondered if somebody would somehow connect fishing to politics....

Yes, very true....please take a look at Lake Michigan, VERY polluted lake due to Political negligence. You basically can not swim/fishing in Lake Michigan ANYMORE.

polluted-lake-michigan.jpg

:mad:

same thing. hunting and fishing.

*cough* PETA

yes PETA. just because you don't like their point doesn't mean it's not accurate.

um.... you jumped all the way to the end... what about the beginning? like.. catching the fish? preparing the fish? cooking the fish? how does your fish end up on your plate for you to eat? lemme guess... you prefer a restaurant to do it for you. nice. gimme gimme gimme.

you completely missed the point, but OK I'll explain - you still have to do all this in order to just eat, right?

why should I be shameful of other people's gluttony? majority of them do not fish nor hunt. that's why they're obese and out of touch with the reality.

you missed the point again

so how is it my fault for these people's gluttony?

you missed the point again

irrelevant.

very relevant. in the midst of global food waste, particularly in a well developed countries like USA, Canada,
hunting for additional food supply is not only unnecessary, it's sinful.
to hone your hunting skills, hunt fake subjects.
with fish - ok, I would allow limited kind of fish, size and number per person. what the hey do you need these mammoth size groupers that end up in your freezer forever? so you can gloat?
whereas tonnes of still good for consumption like cans of salmon, tuna are being thrown into garbage. salmon which is on the decline from OVERFISHING.

and what if you're in somewhere there is no store like Alaska? Africa? oh yea... what was I thinking of? why would you be in those beautiful pristine places like those? ah... you're one of those self-entitled hypocritical city slickers...

seriously? are you pretending, or seriously you don't understand the difference between US and Africa?

growing food? you are wasting our water and depriving earth of nutrients for your consumption. why bother? there are plenty of food in the stores. eat'em up!

seriously? do you even know how much water and feed is needed to raise one cow?
https://water.usgs.gov/edu/sc1.html
do you know how much one deer eats per day?

oh btw - in case of nuclear disaster... you might want to take a look at fishes near chernobyl accident... it's eatable.

I was thinking more in the lines of "the Road" with Viggo

in case of disaster... let's hope you won't starve to death while you wait for your food to grow.

why would I? shows what you know. root veggies like potatoes, carrots, rutabaga can be stored at least 6 months. meantime, you plant and grow anew.

btw if there really WAS some horrible disaster, you may end up without your rifle and fishing rod. we all may end up with equal opportunities.
granted, you knowing how to hunt and fish will be already better equipped than me in survival skills, but do not forget what it is about- SURVIVAL.
you do not need fancy fishing rod or modern gun to hunt. actually once you run out of bullets, your gun will be useless - then what?
No, you will have to learn how to MAKE fishing rods and and a crossbow. a knife from rock, perhaps.
If the need comes, I will have to learn, to.
But first things first - make a shelter and fire, find some edible plants. fresh water source is vital.
then hunt. knowing where to start will save your life.
However, I really do expect to die in still civilized world.

Fuzzy

Eating a fish that contains Omega-3. So, we could eat the seaweeds that contain Omega-3 instead of eating a fish. Interesting thought.

TCS is from Michigan. He says that the part of Lake Michigan near Chicago might be polluted but the other side is pristine for swimming, boating, and fishing.

Also, the fish outside Chernobyl are NOT safe to eat. They weren't safe when TCS visited near there, and they aren't safe now, according to a recent documentary.

Back