School Expels Girl for Having Gay Parents

Bullym0m said:
Their policy law perfer firm private or christian school stick w/it which their belifts teaching proprite ways.. doesn't want part of Gay lifestyles w/their children.
Feel not prorpite their own POV.

BullyMom, Thanks for answering my question. I'm curious here is there really a requirement following that they do not want children who's parents are homosexual? If that was true, Why didn't the parent notify the school before enrolling her daughter in that they are lesbians?

Cheri said:
That did not answered my question. I am talking about her rights as attending private school if she wants? Is there a requirement before entering?
She doesn't have a right to attend a private school if she wants. No one in America has that right. It is the decision of each private school to allow or refuse a student.

Each school sets its own requirements for entrance. I don't know the standards for that school in the article. All private schools have requirements. Each one is different. Some have academic requirements (minimum test grades). Some require portfolios (fine arts) or auditions (performing arts). Some have religious/moral requirements. Some have financial requirements. Some require references. It depends on the school.

There is no law that allows children to attend whatever private school that they want. Private means private. Just like your home or car is private. There is no law that gives someone the "right" to move into your house or ride in your car without your permission.

Thanks Reba....

My hearing sister has her daughter in private school. I will ask her about requirements for entrance. ;)

I just found it unfair that, she got accepted in private school, until someone found out that her parents are lesbians, now they refused the girl? That isn't right. Nobody should put children in the middle.

Here is the statement from the school:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding a student that had been enrolled at Ontario Christian School. The student is not attending Ontario Christian, as the family does not meet admissions criteria. The ministry of Ontario Christian is to promote discipleship of Jesus Christ as defined by the Bible and consistent with historical Christianity. The school forms a voluntary partnership with parents who seek the same discipleship. Therefore, the school requires that at least one parent be a confessing Christian and active in the local Christian church. In this case, the parent does not meet the criteria by participating in a homosexual relationship. We regret that this relationship was not disclosed at the time of admission, as that information would have
prevented enrollment and the occasion for misunderstanding.
The mission of Ontario Christian School is to provide for the children of Christian parents a Biblically-based, quality education that nurtures students to grow in knowledge, conviction and maturity; therefore, our focus is to equip students with the vision and skills to engage all relationships and culture under the authority of Jesus Christ.
http://www.ocschools.org/letterfromsuperintendent.pdf

that isn't fair for her lesbian parents to force this child into
private school that don't want her.

if I was a lesbian, I won't let my daughter in private school
if they are that ignorant... I would take my daughter to public school.

Reba said:
Here is the statement from the school:

Now, That answered my question! Thank you for providing the link Reba. It sure helps clear up everything. :thumb:

Cheri said:
Now, That answered my question! Thank you for providing the link Reba. It sure helps clear up everything. :thumb:
Very welcome. :)

Cheri said:
BullyMom, Thanks for answering my question. I'm curious here is there really a requirement following that they do not want children who's parents are homosexual? If that was true, Why didn't the parent notify the school before enrolling her daughter in that they are lesbians?

Private school should have written the formal forums before read the applications. If suppose they didn't.. Private school is fault and why first place expellened (sp) student out the school for good due their parent are gay.

Pretty quite totally WRONG!
They can rights sue and file appeal.

then many parents will get mad and will withdraw their children out of there.
then private school will shut down and this child will might as well go to public school.

And this child will have shame of having a gay parent.

Reba:
There is no law that allows children to attend whatever private school that they want. Private means private. Just like your home or car is private. There is no law that gives someone the "right" to move into your house or ride in your car without your permission.

I find it's sad that the parents have no freedom to choose the schools whatever they want the best for their children's education.

Reba:
Private schools are paid for with private money. Public schools are paid for with tax money.

Of course everyone knows what private or public schools are. It's parent's decision with their money what's the best for their children's education. What's problem?

One question, I would to ask you:
Is it a discrimination what the private school did a girl because of her parent's private background?

Cheri
I just found it unfair that, she got accepted in private school, until someone found out that her parents are lesbians, now they refused the girl? That isn't right. Nobody should put children in the middle.

I'm agree that it's not right to put children burden because of their parent's private background.

Cheri
Why didn't the parent notify the school before enrolling her daughter in that they are lesbians?
Because parent's private lifestyle is none of school rule's business. Why should the parent tell them about their private background? They are suppose to consider children's future education, not worry about parent's private background.

I'm afraid, I'm agree one point is the parents should know school's rule before they put their children into private school but I'm still disagree to this because their private is none of school's business.

Miss*Pinocchio
Maybe the parents are afraid that this girl will flirt with their daughters.

That's closed minded parents... Excuse me for saying this.

Why don't she has the right to attend a private school? There some people out there would wanna go to private school, so they cannot? unless they are approved?
Yup, hence the term “private”.

If you want fight means you have to go court next step "upstairs" means top the court as your goal to fight for school polices needs adjust it. Willing do that.. who pay ?
The courts can not control the policies of a private institution as long as they are within the law, and in this case they are.

That did not answered my question. I am talking about her rights as attending private school if she wants? Is there a requirement before entering?
YES, she and her family must meet the requirements set out by the school. In this case,

Because they were trying to evade the rules. I guess they had their own personal, “don’t ask/don’t tell” policy (the lesbian couple).

My hearing sister has her daughter in private school. I will ask her about requirements for entrance.
Because the enrollment requirements may be different from school to school, the requirements at your nieces school may not be the same as at this school.

She was refused because her mother lied on the application. If you went in for a job interview and told them that you were the CEO of Wal-mart and they later found out that you had lied on your application, they would fire you. There is no difference here except that the MOTHER put her daughter in the middle by initially lying.

Hey, I have been in the same boat here. My daughter would have been refused by this school at one time too. I was living with my previous husband before we got married, therefore my daughter would not have qualified for enrollment at that time either. I would NOT have lied on the application just to get her into that school, just to have her kicked out when it was learned that I was not legally married to the man I was living with. It was my choice to be in that situation and I knew it was wrong, but to put my child in the middle of it would not have been the responsible thing to do for my child.

Private school should have written the formal forums before read the applications. If suppose they didn't.. Private school is fault and why first place expellened (sp) student out the school for good due their parent are gay.
The private school DID write formal rules for the application process and the lesbian parent chose to ignore the rules and lie on the application to get her daughter enrolled in the school.

They can rights sue and file appeal.
Sure they could, but no lawyer in their right mind would take the case because they WILL LOOSE. The courts do not support liars.

I find it's sad that the parents have no freedom to choose the schools whatever they want the best for their children's education.
They have plenty of choices available to them. 1) they chose to be in a gay relationship, 2) they chose to lie about it, 3) there are plenty of public schools available for them to choose from, 4) there are other private schools out there that do not have as strict requirements to choose from.

Of course everyone knows what private or public schools are. It's parent's decision with their money what's the best for their children's education. What's problem?
Exactly, what’s the problem? They have the prerogative to take their child elsewhere.

Is it a discrimination what the private school did a girl because of her parent's private background?
Yup, so why would they want to enroll their child in that school when there are so many others to?

That's closed minded parents... Excuse me for saying this.
And the parents knew this before enrolling their child.

Reba said:
Our Christian school doesn't have that kind of requirement. Many of the parents of our students are unsaved (non-Christians). Our church's philosophy is that the children should be exposed to Jesus' love, and thru them, their parents can also be reached.

However, the parents do sign a contract that they will support the teachings of the school, and the conduct code for the students.

Attending a Christian school is totally voluntary, so if parents don't agree with the school's teachings or conduct code, then they are free to send their children elsewhere.

Our school never has and never will accept government vouchers (which aren't even offered in our state) or government funding of any kind.

Most Christian schools depend on organizations like Christian Law Association to defend them in lawsuits. The lawyers from CLA work totally pro bono (for free). They charge no fees. They are supported by contributions.

This is true. I didn't like it that the child was expelled solely on the fact that her parents were gay, but like you said, the Christian school had guidelines that pertained to conduct, and therefore, had the right to expell the child. I don't agree with it or support it, but since this was a Christian school the parents are going to have to live with the decision. Apparently, this is how they see it also since they chose not to fight the expulsion.

Reba said:
Was that the situation? I didn't see that in the article.

They did not want a child of gay parent to attend private school but let child of adultery parent (divorced and married again) to enroll private school. It is double standard if they want to set good example.

Liebling:-))) said:
It is the freedom of the private schools to set the standards for their own admissions. I think it would be sad if the government forced private schools to surrender their right to protect the integrity of their schools.

If parents don't want to follow the rules of the school, then why should a school allow them to enroll their children?

It's not always about the money. Our school often turns down wealthy famileis and accepts poor families.

Religious schools can legally refuse any student who does not meet their enrollment requirements. It is not unfair discrimination.

I'm agree that it's not right to put children burden because of their parent's private background.
Yes, it's too bad the mother didn't think about that first. I guess the mom's lust life is more important to her than her daughter's welfare.

Because parent's private lifestyle is none of school rule's business. Why should the parent tell them about their private background? They are suppose to consider children's future education, not worry about parent's private background.
Private schools must protect their integrity and reputation. They also have a responsibility to the other parents and children to maintain their standards.

I'm afraid, I'm agree one point is the parents should know school's rule before they put their children into private school but I'm still disagree to this because their private is none of school's business.
If the parents don't like the school's rules, they can send their child to a different school. If they don't want the school to know their private business, then they should enroll their child in a public school.

I found it odd that you are concerned about the parents' private rights, but you ignore the schools' private rights.

Question: Does Germany have any private schools?

Eve
Yes, hence the term “private”.
As far as I know that Private/Public school have to be permitted by authorities/law due children rights before they are able to fix their rules. Sure they have different rules how to educate the children but children welfare rights is a different story.

Eve
The courts cannot control the policies of a private institution as long as they are within the law, and in this case they are.

What about Court of Human Rights?

Eve
Sure they could, but no lawyer in their right mind would take the case because they WILL LOOSE. The courts do not support liars.

Yes, that’s right but they can appeal at Court of Human Right.

Eve
1) They chose to be in a gay relationship.

I can’t see the sense why they judge because it’s their private business.

Eve
2) They chose to lie about it,

I’m afraid yes but one point; the link didn’t say much about a girl’s education how good she is etc? How long they become gays before or after she put her daughter to private school? Is private school her first school? How long her daughter stay at school before they found out that her mother is a gay?

Eve
3) there are plenty of public schools available for them to choose from

What if the parents want only private school?

Eve
4) there are other private schools out there that do not have as strict requirements to choose from.

Good Point.

Reba
It is the freedom of the private schools to set the standards for their own admissions. I think it would be sad if the government forced private schools to surrender their right to protect the integrity of their schools.

Sure, but where is the freedom of the parents’ rights? :(

Reba
If parents don't want to follow the rules of the school, then why should a school allow them to enroll their children?

Yeah, I see the problem is the parents show their disrespect on school rules before put their children to school but one thing we didn’t know about a girl and mother’s full side of story.

It's not always about the money. Our school often turns down wealthy famileis and accepts poor families.

Why?

Reba
Religious schools can legally refuse any student who does not meet their enrollment requirements. It is not unfair discrimination.
Okay, this is your opinion.

Reba
Yes, it's too bad the mother didn't think about that first.

I’m agree that a mother should think twice before prepare something for her daughter but we don’t know how long her daughter went private school. How good she is?

Reba
I guess the mom's lust life is more important to her than her daughter's welfare.

No, I see the different. Why should she pay private school for her daughter when she thinks her private life comes first? It shows that she want the best education for her, not think about her private life.

I see that stupid rules force a mother into liar because she wants that school for her daughter. Yes, I know it’s not right.

Reba:
Private schools must protect their integrity and reputation. They also have a responsibility to the other parents and children to maintain their standards.

Oh I see.
The parent’s private background is important to school’s reputation than consider the children’s interest. Right?

Reba:
If the parents don't like the school's rules, they can send their child to a different school. If they don't want the school to know their private business, then they should enroll their child in a public school.

It makes no difference.
Well, the teacher at public/private school has the right to know about parent’s private background only if they notice something wrong with the children’s behavioral. It belongs children protection rights.

I found it odd that you are concerned about the parents' private rights, but you ignore the schools' private rights.

I can understand where you come from. To me, the children protection rights come FIRST before judge parent’s private background. I can’t see the sense why it’s important for the school to judge parent’s private background before accept their children. How do you feel when they judge your private background before let your child into private school? I would not like it because it’s my business. I would tell school why they worry about my private life since I thought they consider my children’s interest?

but you ignore the schools' private rights.

No, I do not ignore but DISAGREE.

Reba:
Question: Does Germany have any private schools?

Check my answer:
http://www.alldeaf.com/showpost.php?p=384924&postcount=24

They did not want a child of gay parent to attend private school but let child of adultery parent (divorced and married again) to enroll private school. It is double standard if they want to set good example.
Could you please support this statement with some form of documentation other than your own word? Where did you get this information from?

As far as I know that Private/Public school have to be permitted by authorities/law due children rights before they are able to fix their rules. Sure they have different rules how to educate the children but children welfare rights is a different story.
Obviously, Germany and America are two very different places. The only laws which govern Private schools here in America are those concerning curriculum. The schools are required to give the children a core education. Other than that, as long as the schools are not abusing the children, then they are allowed to govern themselves, as they are not receiving public funds. And before you say that this is a case of abuse, according to our laws it is not.

What about Court of Human Rights?
According to the American Constitution, we are given the RIGHTS to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It does NOT guarantee us the right to go anywhere or do anything we please. We are granted the privilege of a free and appropriate education, but only through the PUBLIC schools. If we CHOOSE to go to a private school, then we must abide by the rules that govern that private school. Otherwise, we are FREE to go elsewhere.

Yes, that’s right but they can appeal at Court of Human Right.
They can appeal all day long for the rest of their lives, but no body forced them to go to that school and LIE. They are suffering the consequences for their own behavior. And Liebling, there is no Court of Human Right here in America.

I can’t see the sense why they judge because it’s their private business.
And as Reba said, this is a PRIVATE school. If the lesbian couple wanted to keep their private life private, they should have gone to a school that would condone their choice, not a private school who is able to set the guidelines by their own standards.

I’m afraid yes but one point; the link didn’t say much about a girl’s education how good she is etc? How long they become gays before or after she put her daughter to private school? Is private school her first school? How long her daughter stay at school before they found out that her mother is a gay?
These issues are moot. The point is, they lied and they suffered the consequences for their own choices. They are free to go to a public school.

What if the parents want only private school?
Then I suggest they find a private school that will accept their lifestyle. Obviously this is not the one.

Sure, but where is the freedom of the parents’ rights? /quote]They have the freedom to go to public schools or choose a private school which will accommodate them. They do not have the right to dictate to the private institution.

Okay, this is your opinion.
Actually, what Reba stated is a fact, not an opinion. I don’t happen to like what the school did, but it was well within their rights to do so.

I’m agree that a mother should think twice before prepare something for her daughter but we don’t know how long her daughter went private school. How good she is?
That honestly has no bearing on the situation. However, we do know from the original article that the child was disciplined for behavior at a school game.

No, I see the different. Why should she pay private school for her daughter when she thinks her private life comes first? It shows that she want the best education for her, not think about her private life.
If her child’s welfare were truly more important, then she would have refrained from a same sex relationship until the child had graduated from that school. Otherwise, go somewhere else.

I would tell school why they worry about my private life since I thought they consider my children’s interest?
You can tell the school whatever your want, it is still their prerogative to call the shots, just as it is your prerogative to go elsewhere.

Eve said:
Obviously, Germany and America are two very different places. The only laws which govern Private schools here in America are those concerning curriculum. The schools are required to give the children a core education. Other than that, as long as the schools are not abusing the children, then they are allowed to govern themselves, as they are not receiving public funds. And before you say that this is a case of abuse, according to our laws it is not.

Yes, you were right that Germany and America are different. I sometimes forget that this is an American forum when I debate with anyone in agree and disagree.

Yes, it´s mainly important to have law to not let school to have kind of abuses on the children.

And Liebling, there is no Court of Human Right here in America.

They have human rights in America.

Check this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_United_States

Inter-American Court of Human Rights
http://www.corteidh.or.cr/index_ing.html

I do understand where Liebling is coming from on this, I don't know what the rules had stated for the Christian private school but the rules should not involved the parents lifestyle, cause the parents are not enrolling for private school just the child why worry about the parents whether they're divorce or gay, I mean it's none of the school business to know what the child's parents lifestyle are...IMHO, the school should be more concern on the child's education than worry about other things that are outside of the school....

I find this unfair, the child wasn't gay so I don't see no rules that were broken, and what I think is the school freak out once they found out the child's parents were gay and they decide to kick that child out of the school without having to deal with a gay parents...

I don't understand why most of you said it is because of the rules, where did it say that if the parents is gay , then you child can not enroll in that school.. We don't even know what the rules were, but the point is, it should not effect the child from enrolling the private school just cause of their parents lifestyle may be...The child should be able to get education anywhere...

Back