You ever get people who tell you not to use sign language?

I can't imagine as a parent NOT wanting to communicate w/my son in a manner that he was comfortable with... either ASL (after he learns it) or verbal... just blows my mind as a parent.

I think you're right a lot of it is respect...

I lot of people tell me that when I tell them that my deaf brother and I are the only ones who use ASL in my family. Growing up, I had to interpret for my brother to my family because they couldnt understand him and vice versa. It is funny that so many people say that but yet, it still happens to a lot of deaf children.

Growing up, I had to interpret for my brother to my family because they couldnt understand him and vice versa. It is funny that so many people say that but yet, it still happens to a lot of deaf children.

Sounds very familiar...:roll:

I can't imagine as a parent NOT wanting to communicate w/my son in a manner that he was comfortable with... either ASL (after he learns it) or verbal... just blows my mind as a parent.

I think you're right a lot of it is respect...

I can as I have parents like that :roll:

I can't believe that this is still going on after all these years!!! When I became deaf in 1962...my family was so embarrassed and ask me to not to sign! Family gatherings were very unhappy memories for me!....I'm much older now!..But I remmy it all very well!

Guess it just goes to show that things really do not change as much as we'd like them to! or think they do!

Have we deafies been into "hiding"???....There is a deaf man in his 40's (born deaf) that cannot sign!. His family does not sign...he actually believes he can talk normally! He does "odd jobs" in the neighborhood and a friend told me about him, and I personally met him and started signing to him. He walked away! Embarrassed!

A lot of deafies "keep to themselves" and will not sign whenever they go out. It's strange to me!

How long is it gonna take for the deafies?? To open up and be proud of their culture, no matter the stares they get from people! I even had a friend tell me that it was not wise "to let people know that I was deaf", I might get broken in on, raped, etc.! And not to let my neighbors know I was deaf! To this day, I can't believe all the ignorance!

I can't believe that this is still going on after all these years!!! When I became deaf in 1962...my family was so embarrassed and ask me to not to sign! Family gatherings were very unhappy memories for me!....I'm much older now!..But I remmy it all very well!

Guess it just goes to show that things really do not change as much as we'd like them to! or think they do!

Have we deafies been into "hiding"???....There is a deaf man in his 40's (born deaf) that cannot sign!. His family does not sign...he actually believes he can talk normally! He does "odd jobs" in the neighborhood and a friend told me about him, and I personally met him and started signing to him. He walked away! Embarrassed!

A lot of deafies "keep to themselves" and will not sign whenever they go out. It's strange to me!

How long is it gonna take for the deafies?? To open up and be proud of their culture, no matter the stares they get from people! I even had a friend tell me that it was not wise "to let people know that I was deaf", I might get broken in on, raped, etc.! And not to let my neighbors know I was deaf! To this day, I can't believe all the ignorance!

Come to MD, DC, or VA..u will see a huge number of deafies who are not ashamed to use ASL and who are not afraid to tell people off for belittling ASL and the Deaf culture. I guess that's where I got my attitude from! :D

One girl told me, but you have a normal voice

Many deaf people's voice are not excellent normal tone level.

Long time ago, my mom and I chatted about deaf people's voice. My mom said that most my friend's voice is awful as high pitch or low pitch.

Few minutes ago, I asked my son who is better voice tone (high or low pitcher or normal tone). He said that my voice is nice tone but hard to understand what I said without sign language. He understand his mom's voice but still higher pitch level.

I was being sarcastic, saying some have certain definitions of "normal" and I think everybody on here normal, don't have to conform to what someone thinks people "should" sound like or be like.

I was being sarcastic, saying some have certain definitions of "normal" and I think everybody on here normal, don't have to conform to what someone thinks people "should" sound like or be like.

That's good to know. :)

My mom always says "normal is just a setting on the dryer!! Who's to determine what normal is?"
(Think she's right!)

I have a refrigerator magnet that says the same thing (only instead of dryer, it says washing machine). :giggle:

IMO, normal is boring. :)

Come to MD, DC, or VA..u will see a huge number of deafies who are not ashamed to use ASL and who are not afraid to tell people off for belittling ASL and the Deaf culture. I guess that's where I got my attitude from! :D

I wish more deaf were like that. We need to be more like we were during dpn. We need to stand up for ourselves.

In college, I remember reading about dpn; I thought, GO FOLKS! and was glad to know about that - Deaf university, Deaf president, makes sense to me-

Sorry for the long post.

Yeah, it's all too common in the UK. Schools were encouraging deaf people to speak than to sign.

I remember all that BS from the 70's from 'experts' believing that all deaf children should be taught how to speak no matter how bad their hearing or lack of benefit from hearing aids give them.

I had intensive speech therapy from a tiny tot till primary school that the teachers there said that I had a larger vocabulary than the kids there. I was brought up in the total communication method which I found really helpful in understanding things. But my speech therapy was stopped when I left for Oral High school and was deemed 'passable' speech?!?!.

I signed to supplement my speech cos it was making my life hard for others to understand me - and I get this instead 'stop signing, put your hands under your legs, use your voice!' by my parents and other people. I was dumbfounded/insulted so I didn't sign. :shock:

To this day, I still talk more than sign as I saw it was a necessity out there in the hearing world if I wanted to get to places - career wise. At least my speech has improved with better hearing aids but I do fear for those who cannot gain any help from their HA's. I'm getting a CI this year and I hope it'll clarify things up for me as I find HA's muffle alot of the sounds I hear. I'm profoundly deaf by the way. I believe everyone has a choice regardless of the stigma or culture they're in. BSL, ASL whatever IS a language. Heck, they even have sign language terps at the United Nations!.

I had an interesting conversation with my mother about this, she just said that she was going by the advice of the 'professionals' in the 70's and that sign language was deemed limiting and she didn't want that for me and wanted me to speak well. I said to her, don't you find that insulting to those who cannot speak and need to sign in order to communicate?, she said no, but after a further debating about this subject. She now realises it's wrong to take away the deaf person's means of communication - namely sign language from them. As she now starts to see from a deaf person's perspective.

She now apologises profusely for telling me off for signing when I was younger. But she always says she feels left out if I sign to my friends, and my response was, what about me when you all natter together and I can't even follow the conversation and you wouldn't even tell me whats going on by saying 'it's nothing' ?! - She now gets it after all these years - a bit too late in my book but nonetheless the enlightenment has happened!

In my mother's words - she absolutely floored me with this! after debating about Oralism V Sign Language.
'For a deaf person - regardless of their hearing loss - demands an equal access to information/resources (yeah!). This should be provided in the best communicative means for that person - BSL, SSE, ASL, French, Italian etc.. This way the person can take away on board all that information and assimilate it, grow from it and become a better educated person as a result. If that person's means of communication was taken away from them - how do they learn? not much and the end result a frustrated, demeaned and depressed person (sure yeah). If the person has a such drive to do well, they'll find ways of getting around/accessing it but it comes at a price. is that true ?'

Who said that we deaf people aren't that creative, heck we are - just to access the same information as our hearing peers! Mebee we all should apply for M16/CIA/FBI :lol:

She's getting there... but she refuses to learn sign language citing old age! no-one's never too old to learn but I'm not pushing it for forsaking our mother/daughter relationship.

Last edited:
Back